07 Edge Rattling Noise

bgochnauer

My Edge sets up a rattle as it goes through 2,500 RPM but then stops above and below that range. Initially I thought it was the rear license plate but after making sure that was tight, it still does it. It actually sounds like it might be a heat shield. I saw another thread on rear wheel bearings causing a noise but I wouldn't expect that to come and go through an RPM range.

Anyone else have something similar?

Thanks

My Edge sets up a rattle as it goes through 2,500 RPM but then stops above and below that range. Initially I thought it was the rear license plate but after making sure that was tight, it still does it. It actually sounds like it might be a heat shield. I saw another thread on rear wheel bearings causing a noise but I wouldn't expect that to come and go through an RPM range.

Thanks

Hi bgochnauer. :D Check all of the heat shields around the catalytic converters. Having a rattle at a particular RPM range is a common symptom of a loose converter heat shield. When the particular RPM range is reached, a "harmonic resonance" can cause a vibration in a loose shield. This is a relatively common problem in all cars. And as mofsteel mentioned, check your exhaust system mounts.

Is your Edge still within the 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty? If you are persuasive enough, t is even possible to have a loose converter shield covered under the Emissions System Warranties.

If not covered, you can usually repair it yourself by tightening the loose shield down with a long "worm-screw" type clamp. Try to leave the shield in place and tighten it, as removing the shield can lead to heat and fire related issues.

Keep us updated.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks

I have the same issue on a 2008. I thought it was the rear license plate as well. That is the exact sound it makes. I don't find mine is at a certain rpm tho, I think it's more to do with the wind. What I think it is on mine is the actually rear bumper, atleast the plastic covering the bumper seems to rattle. If i tap the rear bumper I can reproduce the exact same rattle. I just figured this out, but I have crawled under it yet to see if there is an easy fix.