LEDs w/out using resistors!

Hey guys! Been a while since I posted to these forums but thought I would give you an update (or maybe not depending if you already knew this) on the situation with changing your exterior lights to LEDs. I changed my taillight bulbs to LEDs and immediately noticed that the SJB (Smart Junction Box) thought my bulbs were out, due to the low current of the LEDs. Being as that my car is still under warranty, I didn't want to screw with adding resistors to my wiring, so I brought it into my dealer and asked them what they could do. Turns out all they have to do is turn off the bulb out warning in the SJB!!! So that means any future upgrades, like changing my front parking/turn signals to LEDs, will be no hassle. It also means I don't have to worry about putting my crappy old incandescents back in and risk burning the sockets!

good tip...

beats wiring up resistors in tight spaces

but if they charged me the normal laughable rate, I would do the self resistors install :)

My dealer has the best labor rates in town, and I'm still under warranty. Even if they DID charge me for say, a half hour of labor, I would have gladly paid it. I'd rather be safe than potentially void my warranty! Just wanted to let others know that there was an alternative to wiring resistors, since I'm sure there are others out there who also aren't comfortable messing with wiring!

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

My dealer has the best labor rates in town, and I'm still under warranty. Even if they DID charge me for say, a half hour of labor, I would have gladly paid it. I'd rather be safe than potentially void my warranty! Just wanted to let others know that there was an alternative to wiring resistors, since I'm sure there are others out there who also aren't comfortable messing with wiring!

Cheers!

Not sure how the EDGE's are set up for their "flasher" unit's, if it's all computer or still use an inline flasher unit, but I changed all my lights on my '07 superduty to LED's and had the same problem, the cure for that was changing the flasher unit from a "mechanical flasher" to an "electronic flasher", $9 at the part store, did it myself and it will now tell me if I do have a light out (needs to be the entire LED unit, not just one diode).

Not sure how the EDGE's are set up for their "flasher" unit's, if it's all computer or still use an inline flasher unit, but I changed all my lights on my '07 superduty to LED's and had the same problem, the cure for that was changing the flasher unit from a "mechanical flasher" to an "electronic flasher", $9 at the part store, did it myself and it will now tell me if I do have a light out (needs to be the entire LED unit, not just one diode).

for flashers/turn signals on the Edge. you need the resistors

for just general lights - map, cargo, rear seat... not needed

• 2 months later...

Our Edges flasher is controlled by the Smart Junction Box, which is something that only the dealer can program. If you want to cut into your wiring, use the resistor method to stop the bulb-out warning. If you don't want to modify your wiring, ask your dealer to turn off the bulb-out warning in the SJB, simple as that. They may question as to whether or not it can be done, but trust me, it can.