Finally, speakers will be in tomorrow

I am finally getting the Infinity Kappa 690 component set to install in the front doors of our MKX tomorrow. I had originally ordered them in December of last year and was lured by a lower price I found than my usual online car audio store. Anyway, I didn't bother reading the reviews of this company (DealerCostCarAudio) and after 3 months, getting my bank and lawyer involved, and a bunch of runaround I finally got my money back. Just as an FYI, DO NOT EVER order from this company. I should have read the reviews but didn't. F rating on BBB with over 700 complaints and unresolved issues....what a mess!

I ordered them from Crutchfield on Friday and they will be here tomorrow according to the UPS tracking number.

Anyway, I will take pics of the install this weekend and will post them here. I believe a member (Kempie) did the exact same install in an MKX so it should be similar.

Edited by klc317

Wow...Sorry to hear about your problem. Was wondering where you were with the speakers. Bet you will be happy with the new ones.

Good luck....

Yep. They arrived today. I'll have to look at your pics again to see which tweeter mount you used. Those couple pics you posted will be very helpful. I'll put them in this weekend when I have more time.

I didn't bother reading the reviews of this company (DealerCostCarAudio) and after 3 months, getting my bank and lawyer involved, and a bunch of runaround I finally got my money back. Just as an FYI, DO NOT EVER order from this company. I should have read the reviews but didn't. F rating on BBB with over 700 complaints and unresolved issues....what a mess!

I also almost got suckered by this company. When I read the reviews after a few weeks of waiting with no product delivery I called my Visa credit card company and explained that DealerCostCarAudio had charged my card but did not have the product in stock. This is a violation of the VISA merchant rules. A company can not charge your credit card until the product is shipped.

When DealerCostCarAudio found out I was no pushover and saw that VISA was involved they credited my CC immeadiately.

This is the worse company I have ever dealt with by a looong shot.

I also almost got suckered by this company. When I read the reviews after a few weeks of waiting with no product delivery I called my Visa credit card company and explained that DealerCostCarAudio had charged my card but did not have the product in stock. This is a violation of the VISA merchant rules. A company can not charge your credit card until the product is shipped.

When DealerCostCarAudio found out I was no pushover and saw that VISA was involved they credited my CC immeadiately.

This is the worse company I have ever dealt with by a looong shot.

Yeah, it was definately the worst online vendor experience I have ever had and from now on I will check out every unfamilar vendor before I consider dealing with them. I order ALOT of stuff online and have never had any problems. Fortunately, I had saved every Email, times, dates, order information and everything between myself and their end from the initial order on and it was very helpful for the credit card company (VISA) to use to go after them. After 3 months of runaround and lies after they took my money they even had the gall to ask me to call off the credit card dispute and remove my comments and rating on BBB, reporting them to the Attorney General of CA (where they are located), and other similar consumer affairs organizations that I contacted...yeah right! Oh well, I got my money back.

Got em in today!! Not very hard, just a little interior door panel modification to mount the tweeters. It's a bit scary chomping off the factory tweeter mounts and cutting a little plastic off a tab on the door panel but once its done it's pretty easy to get the new ones in. A little trial and error before the final mounting gets them lined up perfectly with the factory tweeter grilles. It took me about 4 hours although that included lots of breaks, talked to the neighbor for a while, and I soldered and shirk-tubed all the connections, and neatly routed and zip tied all the wiring inside the door panel. One could easily do it much quicker but I wasn't in any hurry. I also installed a square of Dynamat behind them on the inside of the door skin and used a set of those foam baffle things. That factory installed black foam piece in the door makes an ideal spot to stuff the crossover in and a simple zip-tie around it holds it in place.

Wife had the camera with her so I didn't get any pics but I used the ones in this post that Kempie posted, very helpful. My install looked very similar.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/4353-replace-front-door-speakers-and-keep-factory-tweeterharness/page__p__34142__hl__kappa__fromsearch__1entry34142

As for the sound, it is much clearer, cleaner, and louder although I think I may have lost just a tiny bit of bass...suprising since the factory front speakers are so puny. Obviously these new ones would sound alot better if fed some power. I'm currently just running the stock head unit...thats next on the agenda.

I found that the window tint guys broke the tab off the door handle/power lock/tweeter cover panel on the door so I am ordering a new one as we speak. I hate letting people work on my cars...I'm just too picky I guess.

Edited by klc317

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit scary chomping off the factory tweeter mounts

For the 2010 Edge LIMITED Premium audio speakers I was able to save the plastic tweeter mounts located in the A-pillar. The LIMITED's Premium audio factory tweeters snap out of the mount on the sides. You can carefull pry the tweeter out. DO NOT try prying the small 1/8 inch tabs holding the magnet on back of the tweeter. Instead, pry upwards on the sides below these 1/8" tabs.

If your new tweeter size is close to the factory tweeter you can use super glue or if you're really lucky thay snap right it.

Be aware that ordinary super glue will not work on these polyethylene/polypropylene plastics.

You will need Loctite Super Glue "All Plastics" with primer. Available at Home Depot.

Reorder# 01-34925-01

UPC 079340349254

Edited by Tribby2001

For the Edge Premium audio speakers I was able to save the plastic tweeter mounts located in the A-pillar. The Premium audio factory tweeters snap out of the mount on the sides. You can carefull pry the tweeter out. DO NOT try prying the small 1/8 inch tabs holding the magnet on back of the tweeter. Instead, pry upwards on the sides below these 1/8" tabs.

If your new tweeter size is close to the factory tweeter you can use super glue or if your really lucky thay snap right it.

Be aware that ordinary super glue will not work on these polyethylene/polypropylene plastics.

You will need Loctite Super Glue "All Plastics" with primer. Available at Home Depot.

Reorder# 01-34925-01

UPC 079340349254

My MKX has the tweeters in the door panels. I simply clipped off the tabs and did some creative small bolt and nut mounting.

Edited by klc317