Hearing a 'clunk' / 'knocking' noise when accelerating

K-Man

Hi,

I just bought a new 2010 Ford Edge a few weeks ago and have only 2,000 km on it and over the past week or so, I've been noticing that when I start to accelerate I hear a "clunk" or knocking noise. It happens right around 10 - 20 km/ph when the vehicle is shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. It doesn't happen from 3 gear on, and it doesn't seem to happen every time I'm driving the vehicle.

I've read a number of posting of the dreaded "PTU" and tranny seal leaks and hoping that this isn't the issue. I plan on bringing it into the dealer, but I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this type of behaviour / noise coming from their Edge and if so...what was the issue?

Hi,

I just bought a new 2010 Ford Edge a few weeks ago and have only 2,000 km on it and over the past week or so, I've been noticing that when I start to accelerate I hear a "clunk" or knocking noise. It happens right around 10 - 20 km/ph when the vehicle is shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. It doesn't happen from 3 gear on, and it doesn't seem to happen every time I'm driving the vehicle.

I've read a number of posting of the dreaded "PTU" and tranny seal leaks and hoping that this isn't the issue. I plan on bringing it into the dealer, but I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this type of behaviour / noise coming from their Edge and if so...what was the issue?

Well this really SUCKS!!! I thought I should check under the truck tonight to see if I could see any leaks and sure enough I noticed a fluid leaking from the middle section of the truck! Really not a happy camper right now. I called the dealer and will be bringing it in tomorrow. Once I get the truck back and find out what the problem is...I will let you know. Only 2100 km...this really sucks!

Where did you find the leak? Mine is doing the same thing so Im interested in this. You said in the middle of the truck, does that mean youve got the AWD model?

The leak is located approx. just past the engine. Right about in the middle where the console is (between driver and passenger seat). It was a steady 'drip', 'drip', 'drip' last night so I'm praying that I can make it to the dealership this morning without service lights going off.

I have the AWD model.

I'll let you know what it is once I hear back from the dealership today.

Quick Update:

I just received a call from the dealership and they said that it is indeed a faulty 'PTU' and it has to be replaced. Unfortunately, they do not have any in stock and have to order the part in. Seeing that I was a bit of a bear this morning when dropping the truck off (having the new truck for only 3 weeks and all and with only 2,000 km on it I guess you understand why I was a little miffed), they are having the part rushed in and it will be here on Monday, so I will get the new PTU put on the Edge then. I'm praying to God that this fixes the problem(s) I've been having over the past week and a half. I guess I'll fine out next week.

Oh ya... the dealership called the Ford headoffice to ask if it is safe to drive the vehicle with a faulty PTU and they apparently said, "yes...100% safe until you get the part in". I made sure to ask this because I did not want to mess up my warranty in anyway. I got them to note this comment on the invoice.

Once I get it fix, I will report back to let you know if it corrected the issue or not.

Mine is getting worse so Im gonna break down and take it to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully I wont experience any of the horror stories Ive read about with them taking 3 weeks and changing the entire front end out.

Im betting its a motor mount. Here's hoping they get it figured out and fixed in one day. I need to get started on my new install for the 2010 car audio competition season but have been kinda waiting to figure this out.

Mine is getting worse so Im gonna break down and take it to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully I wont experience any of the horror stories Ive read about with them taking 3 weeks and changing the entire front end out.

Im betting its a motor mount. Here's hoping they get it figured out and fixed in one day. I need to get started on my new install for the 2010 car audio competition season but have been kinda waiting to figure this out.

Well, I brought my vehicle back to the dealership today because the PTU unit came in and was ready to be installed. They changed the complete PTU system. I picked it up after work this evening and thankful (knock-on-wood) I no longer hear the 'clunk' and grinding noise.

Hopefully that was the issue/problem and it won't happen again. Crossing my fingers that getting the new PTU system is the fix.

I'll send an update in a few weeks to let you know if all is still ok. Cheers

Make sure to post some pics of your audio stuff once you get it in.

Well after keeping my Edge all day, my dealership came to the conclusion that there was something loose in the gas tank and was sloshing around banging around inside causing the clunk. :huh:

I almost laughed when the girl called me and told me. I said the gas tank is in the back - this is coming from the front. "Well it may seem like it but noises can come from the back and sound like theyre in front".

OK, I buy that but Im FEELING it in the gas pedal, brake pedal and steering wheel. AND there is a definitey "grinding" feel along with it AND you can put it in gear, your foot on the brake and give it gas and you can feel the grind and the clunk in the pedals without the car moving AND it doesnt do it when youre braking. "Nope, we checked the front end and motor mounts and all suspension components are as they should be. Drive your car around til you have 1/4 tank of gas and bring it back and we'll drop it and fix whatever is loose." Again, :huh:

So since I just filled up my tank last night, itll be a week before I use up enough for them to remove the tank and inspect it. In the meantime Im thinking about taking it to a local Firestone or maybe another Ford dealer and have them inspect the front end and see if they can find anything wrong. I realize these guys at the dealership are trained professionals and I deliver beer for a living but I just cannot accept that there is something floating around in a gas tank thats big enough to slam into the sides of the tank and cause that clunk and make it felt all the way in the front of the car.....especially when power braking and the CAR ISNT MOVING!

But anyways, thats my update. Ill let y'all know if I get a 2nd opinion or just wait and take it back to the dealership and they turn out to either be morons or geniuses.

Took mine back to the dealer Monday so they could fix the gas tank ( :shrug: ) and asked to take the mechanic out with me so I could show him the problem. I did and we all agreed it aint coming from the gas tank. He threw out several things it could be from anti-sway bar to motor mount to CV joint. After 2 days theyve still got it and I havent heard anything. So Im driving around in this tiny, crappy little Toyota Corolla they use for a loaner which sucks. Im a 6', 250 lbs weightlifter so you can imagine how much fun Im having squeezing in and out of this thing with a baby and car seat. :nonono:

Im hoping they get it wrapped up tomorrow. Ill let ya know.

Took mine back to the dealer Monday so they could fix the gas tank ( :shrug: ) and asked to take the mechanic out with me so I could show him the problem. I did and we all agreed it aint coming from the gas tank. He threw out several things it could be from anti-sway bar to motor mount to CV joint. After 2 days theyve still got it and I havent heard anything. So Im driving around in this tiny, crappy little Toyota Corolla they use for a loaner which sucks. Im a 6', 250 lbs weightlifter so you can imagine how much fun Im having squeezing in and out of this thing with a baby and car seat. :nonono:

Had mine in the dealership for this. They got on a "hot line" directly with Ford and diagnosed as a faulty sensor in the transmission. They opened up the trans., put in new sensor, new trans. fluid and it's good as new. MPG are way up after the new part also. I don't have the repair order with me so I can't give you the part #, but if you need it I can look it up when I get home tonight. Good luck!

That is extremely frustrating for sure. Well, hopefully they will find the issue very soon (like today) for you. It definitely wouldn't hurt to call them and mention the trans. sensor as Jeff mentioned above. Knock-on-wood...since they replaced the entire PTU system on my Edge 2 weeks ago, the 'clunk', knocking and grinding noise have stopped and is driving as a new car should.

Good luck!

Thats good to know Jeff.

The mechanic said nothing is wrong with the tranny because its not giving any codes and it checks for everything. But if a sensor is faulty it might not throw up a code. Ill mention it to them. Thanks.

I did call them today as this is day 4 and Im still in this stupid Corolla. They said theyve got parts ordered and are waiting on them to come in which should be tomorrow.. The girl didnt know what parts were ordered but I take that as a good sign that they found something.

I think I got a good mechanic - he seems pretty sharp so Im optimistic albeit a little frustrated with them for wasting 2 days trying to fix a gas tank.

Edited by MacLeod

So I got my car back yesterday. They replaced the rear motor mount and this got rid of the popping noise and feeling when you accelerate from a stop BUT it did NOT fix the CLUNK you hear from the transmission when you accelerate from a slow coast, nor did it fix the vibration coming thru the gas pedal at 1600-1800 RPM's.

My favorite part was they tell me to bring it in on empty so they can drop the gas tank and fix whatever is banging around in there so I bring it in with 1/8th of a tank. So after keeping it 6 days to replace a motor mount and wasting 2 days trying to fix a gas tank problem when I told them it was up front, they charge me $16 for gas because after they figure out it wasnt the gas tank they had to take it on test drives and needed to put gas in there. That ticks me off a little but Im like OK, at least Ill have some gas in there. $16 should at least be close to half a tank. So when I get in the car, its dead on EMPTY! I look at my invoce and they charged me $7.50 a gallon and stuck 2 gallons in there. :censored:

I am SO over this whole ordeal. It was a lousy experience buying from this dealership and obviously their service department sucks just as bad. Plus Im ticked that apparently there are at least 2 problems (one with the motor mount and one with whatever it banging in the tranny......which they swear is ok and this fun vibration coming thru at only certain RPM's) which makes me question how long til something else falls apart. So basically this one month of Ford ownership has sucked from the purchasing to the service to the car itself. I need a car I can buy, pay off and keep 10 years without it falling apart. This obviously aint it so Im just going to drive it and pay as much as I can each month for the next year or so til I get some equity in it so I can trade it in on a Honda from where I should never have strayed.

Im not going to bother going back to the dealer either because for one, they suck but also since this clunk only happens once a day, it would be very hard to duplicate it for them and theyd keep it 6 months trying to find it on their own while I drive around town cramped up in a tiny little Corolla. So Ill just keep driving it til I can trade it or the transmission snaps in half which should be easy for them to diagnose.

Its a shame too because this is a great car. Looks good, drives good and is very comfortable. But I need something I can drive to Texas and back and not worry about it breaking down on me.

• 2 months later...

So...after getting a brand new PTU installed ~2 months ago, now my ABS, Traction control and (PTU) wrench light came on yesterday. I brought it into the dealership this morning and just called the dealer to see if they knew what is going on. Apparently, the right wheel sensor is faulty. They have ordered the part and it will be in tomorrow so I'll have to pick up and drop it off tomorrow and hope that this is/was the issue.

It's getting frustrating though...brand new vehicle with only 8,000 KM on it. I know things 'happen' and it is all part of car ownership, but let's hope that this is it for a long while!

Will keep you posted and let you know if this sensor fixes the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

2010 Edge SEL: Had a clunking noise when turning and accelerating. My dealer changed both front struts - no success, then after I demanded a free loaner and stated that I will not take the vehicle home until resolved - the dealer discovered a "defective" engine mount (car only had 4,500 miles) New Engine mount replacement seems to be the culprit - thus far.

Hope this helps.

• 3 years later...

I guess these are all old posts but I thought I'd try to get a response on what appears to be the same issue that others posted on. I bought my used 2010 Ford Edge Limited a little over a year ago and within the first few months noticed this similar problem has happened about 6-10 times since I've owned the vehicle. Most recently, while pulling out into traffic and accelerating (not too quickly), the transmission (clearly) feels and sounds as if it's going to drop literally onto the ground. Another description would be it feels as if I'm being rear-ended. This isn't a small sound or bump. It's extremely noticeable and very frightening. Although the vehicle doesn't come to a complete stop, I am able to keep the vehicle moving it's as if the transmission is having great difficulty changing gears. Of course it happens so rapidly that I'm unable to check the RPM's. I have plans to take it to the dealer but since it doesn't happen every time I'm afraid they won't be able to replicate the problem. I have an extended warranty although I believe the transmission is covered up to 100,000 miles, no? If anyone has any information regarding this issue, I'd really appreciate it.

I guess these are all old posts but I thought I'd try to get a response on what appears to be the same issue that others posted on. I bought my used 2010 Ford Edge Limited a little over a year ago and within the first few months noticed this similar problem has happened about 6-10 times since I've owned the vehicle. Most recently, while pulling out into traffic and accelerating (not too quickly), the transmission (clearly) feels and sounds as if it's going to drop literally onto the ground. Another description would be it feels as if I'm being rear-ended. This isn't a small sound or bump. It's extremely noticeable and very frightening. Although the vehicle doesn't come to a complete stop, I am able to keep the vehicle moving it's as if the transmission is having great difficulty changing gears. Of course it happens so rapidly that I'm unable to check the RPM's. I have plans to take it to the dealer but since it doesn't happen every time I'm afraid they won't be able to replicate the problem. I have an extended warranty although I believe the transmission is covered up to 100,000 miles, no? If anyone has any information regarding this issue, I'd really appreciate it.