Score

Won a bid on Ebay for a perfect factory '07 MKX Nav head unit for our '07 MKX. Our car is equipped with non THX, non Nav, and obviously the '07s didn't have Sync so I found just the unit I need (7A1T-18K931-DA), one from a similarly equipped vehicle which is kind of a rare find as most are from THX equipped vehicles. Won with an offer of $475, not too shabby. Anyway, I still need to order the dash panel/center bezel part mad for the Nav unit (7A1Z-7804302-AA). The cheapest I can find for a new one is $160 or so from Fast Parts Network (a great place to order factory/OEM Ford parts) and I found the new Ford GPS antenna (8L3T-10E893-AA) on Amazon for another $95. This antenna appears to be an in dash mount so I shouldn't have to mess with running any cable. Unit should be here this week so I'm going to plug it up and make sure everything works properly and then order my other stuff that I need. There are a couple late model salvage yards around here I need to check out so I may be able to find a wrecked MKX to harvest the center stack part from but I haven't had time as of yet.

Besides this would I need anything else? Seems to be a bit fuzzy from what I've read but I don't believe I'll need to get it unlocked to work in our vehicle.

As for the update navigation discs...how often do you need to upgrade? I'm not clear on that subject either.

If anyone has any suggestions or insight into anything else I'll need I would appreciate it. Also if there are any discrepancies with my part numbers for the antenna or dash panel I would love to hear about it. Dont be afraid to tell me "Hey stupid, thats the wrong part". I did plenty of research and I am 99% sure I am getting the correct stuff.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress...thanks!

Edited by klc317

Won a bid on Ebay for a perfect factory '07 MKX Nav head unit for our '07 MKX. Our car is equipped with non THX, non Nav, and obviously the '07s didn't have Sync so I found just the unit I need (7A1T-18K931-DA), one from a similarly equipped vehicle which is kind of a rare find as most are from THX equipped vehicles. Won with an offer of $475, not too shabby. Anyway, I still need to order the dash panel/center bezel part mad for the Nav unit (7A1Z-7804302-AA). The cheapest I can find for a new one is $160 or so from Fast Parts Network (a great place to order factory/OEM Ford parts) and I found the new Ford GPS antenna (8L3T-10E893-AA) on Amazon for another $95. This antenna appears to be an in dash mount so I shouldn't have to mess with running any cable. Unit should be here this week so I'm going to plug it up and make sure everything works properly and then order my other stuff that I need. There are a couple late model salvage yards around here I need to check out so I may be able to find a wrecked MKX to harvest the center stack part from but I haven't had time as of yet.

Besides this would I need anything else? Seems to be a bit fuzzy from what I've read but I don't believe I'll need to get it unlocked to work in our vehicle.

As for the update navigation discs...how often do you need to upgrade? I'm not clear on that subject either.

If anyone has any suggestions or insight into anything else I'll need I would appreciate it. Also if there are any discrepancies with my part numbers for the antenna or dash panel I would love to hear about it. Dont be afraid to tell me "Hey stupid, thats the wrong part". I did plenty of research and I am 99% sure I am getting the correct stuff.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress...thanks!

Didn't you just put a lot of work into an after market system? That looked really nice.

I am having a bit of trouble. Plugged the unit up and it works. However, according to everything I had read the (7A1T-18K931-DA) unit was supposed to from a vehicle without the THX sound system. When I plug it up, the screen comes up with the THX Certified symbol and I have no volume control and horrible sound quality. Probably because it is looking for or trying to send the audio through the factory amp which isn't there. The 2 radio harness plugs on the back are exactly the same and everything else works perfectly....well, not the nav...I haven't purchased an antenna yet but the function is there and working correctly. Dimming, steering wheel controls, and Sirius all work just as they should.

Anyway,

I am in a deep internet search to find someone who can do the vehicle specific reprogramming of this unit. I have read that the unit can be "mirrored" to act the same way as the factory radio that came out of the car. By that I mean it can be programmed to send a normal full range 4 way audio signal out instead of looking for the factory amp. You can even change the startup graphic (for those who installed Mercury units in theirs and have the Mercury symbol) As I said, both radio harness plugs and pinouts are identical to the radio currently in the car so it's possible. I've also found that sometimes for the NAV to work properly, it may need to be programmed to recognize the VSS signal in the radio harness of a different but identical vehicle...weird huh? I do know a dealer can reprogram the radios but I want to look for other options first as I'm sure they'd charge a fortune and more than likely unwilling to help anyway. It takes a code scanner, VIN, and some other knowledge that I just dont have.

If anyone can help point me in the direction of anyone, a ford tech friend who knows how to do this, or a vendor who can do such programming I would appreciate it. If all else fails, I will simply just re-sell the unit on Ebay. I wont lose any money on it.

Edited by klc317

I am having a bit of trouble. Plugged the unit up and it works. However, according to everything I had read the (7A1T-18K931-DA) unit was supposed to from a vehicle without the THX sound system. When I plug it up, the screen comes up with the THX Certified symbol and I have no volume control and horrible sound quality. Probably because it is looking for or trying to send the audio through the factory amp which isn't there. The 2 radio harness plugs on the back are exactly the same and everything else works perfectly....well, not the nav...I haven't purchased an antenna yet but the function is there and working correctly. Dimming, steering wheel controls, and Sirius all work just as they should.

Anyway,

I am in a deep internet search to find someone who can do the vehicle specific reprogramming of this unit. I have read that the unit can be "mirrored" to act the same way as the factory radio that came out of the car. By that I mean it can be programmed to send a normal full range 4 way audio signal out instead of looking for the factory amp. You can even change the startup graphic (for those who installed Mercury units in theirs and have the Mercury symbol) As I said, both radio harness plugs and pinouts are identical to the radio currently in the car so it's possible. I've also found that sometimes for the NAV to work properly, it may need to be programmed to recognize the VSS signal in the radio harness of a different but identical vehicle...weird huh? I do know a dealer can reprogram the radios but I want to look for other options first as I'm sure they'd charge a fortune and more than likely unwilling to help anyway. It takes a code scanner, VIN, and some other knowledge that I just dont have.

If anyone can help point me in the direction of anyone, a ford tech friend who knows how to do this, or a vendor who can do such programming I would appreciate it. If all else fails, I will simply just re-sell the unit on Ebay. I wont lose any money on it.

The unit needs to be configured, there is a data bit that identifies it as THX, once it is configured you will get the Lincoln logo at start up and things will work ok.

Vehicle speed is already active since the previous unit used it for speed sensitive volume and reverse park aid if you have it.

If your were in the Dearborn area I could reconfig for you FOC since I have access to the equipment, know the specs, and have done it many times. I have seen somebody on ebay offer this service - think it was about $70 - you ship unit to them with vehicle spec and they program and send it back.

The unit needs to be configured, there is a data bit that identifies it as THX, once it is configured you will get the Lincoln logo at start up and things will work ok.

Vehicle speed is already active since the previous unit used it for speed sensitive volume and reverse park aid if you have it.

If your were in the Dearborn area I could reconfig for you FOC since I have access to the equipment, know the specs, and have done it many times. I have seen somebody on ebay offer this service - think it was about $70 - you ship unit to them with vehicle spec and they program and send it back.

Thanks for this info...most helpful!

Wow that's a great price!! does it come with the disc? you will need one for it to operate.

you might be able to find your bezel on car-parts.com (do you need to change the bezel?)

Couldn't locate one on there.

But yeah, to go from the factory 6-disc AM/FM non nav radio you do have to change the bezel. They are a little different. There is a plastic "bar" that goes across the regular am/fm/6cd unit that would be in the way of the screen on the nav unit. I'm sure with some creative dremel too work it could be fixed but it might look butchered. I'd rather have perfect. I'm going to hit the salvage yard in Milford tomorrow (hopefully) and see if they have any wrecked MKXs there I can scrounge from. They usually have alot of good late model stuff.

Did come with the disc but I'm not sure how often they need to be replaced/updated to be current. I don't have the antenna yet for the GPS either but when I had it plugged into the car the other day every function worked fine except for my current snafu with the programming but with some research and help I found that wont even be a big deal. Just another $70. But hey, it's only money...haha. I got such a good price for the unit itself I couldn't pass it up.

Edited by klc317

Heres a couple pics of it in case anyone is interested. As you can see besides the GPS antenna plug it's identical to a regular am/fm/6cd radio on the back. The screen is actually is perfect shape, I was just trying to wipe off my grubby fingerprints and it looks smeared:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/klc317/DSC_0001-2.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/klc317/DSC_0003-1.jpg

Trester is a good place to get parts cheap! I got most of my interior for my Ranger there (except the seats) I need to make another trip to see what new stuff the got in since I haven't been since fall. The last time I was there they didn't have any Edge or MKX but you never know what they will have. At least they still let you go back and look around unlike most places in the area. Good luck!

Trester is a good place to get parts cheap! I got most of my interior for my Ranger there (except the seats) I need to make another trip to see what new stuff the got in since I haven't been since fall. The last time I was there they didn't have any Edge or MKX but you never know what they will have. At least they still let you go back and look around unlike most places in the area. Good luck!

Yes it is! I love that place.

Well, after talking to many people on various forums, many wasted hours on the internet, and contacting this place I am going to have this place do my reprogram:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140398550932&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123#ht_1929wt_1167

He was very helpful answering my questions, very knowledgeable, and has a slew of great reviews and feedback. Back in the box it goes! In the meantime I can get my antenna ordered and track down the radio/vent bezel piece.

Did you ever make it out to Trester's ? Just wondering if you had any luck!

No, never did. I managed to find a bezel while cruising around Ebay the other day for decent price so I grabbed it. Should be here tomorrow. My GPS antenna arrived today too. Guy got my radio on Wednesday and he should be done with it this weekend, said he usually ships on Mondays so it may be here by the end of next week.

I'm actually kind of free this weekend and was thinking about heading to Tresters just to scrounge around but now it's supposed to rain....blah.

Edited by klc317

• 2 weeks later...

Update,

Still waiting on the guy to get done with my radio reprogram. Hes been busy but hopes to have it shipped out this weekend. He is providing good communication so I'm not worried about it. It's raining all weekend here so it would have been a good time to hang out in the garage and do the swap but thats ok.

In the meantime, heres the parts I have. A Ford OEM GPS antenna, the new radio/vent bezel part to fit the full screen nav radio in, and a door bezel part that apparently the window tint guys broke a clip off of and didn't bother to mention. I found it when I was doing the front door speaker swap.

Now to just find a "reasonably" priced Navteq 8P disc to replace the older one that came with my radio and I'll be in business.

DSC_0006.jpg

Edited by klc317

Project done. Guy did a great job on the programming, everything works just like it should with no un-necessary buttons on screen for stuff our vehicle doesn't have (like a factory sub and THX). Even the rear seat entertainment system works flawlessly. Much better and alot more things to play with over the factory am/fm/cd unit.

DSC_0942.jpg

Thanks. The GPS antenna up under the panel where the center THX speaker would be picks up well too and is out of sight.

Good Job! I admire your ambition in taking on a project like that. I wouldn't have the guts to start tearing into the dash of a modern vehicle.

I like the Lincoln logo, mine always comes up with the THX logo. Do you have to disable THX to get that or is it a user setting?

Good Job! I admire your ambition in taking on a project like that. I wouldn't have the guts to start tearing into the dash of a modern vehicle.

I like the Lincoln logo, mine always comes up with the THX logo. Do you have to disable THX to get that or is it a user setting?

Its simple plug and play once the radio is programmed to match the vehicle. Not really much to it. The radio comes out with 4 screws once the center panel is removed (just pops off) and it uses the same two harnesses the other radio did. Obviously the antenna plug and GPS antenna too. Easy!

The THX symbol can be changed, just have to find somebody to program it. I used this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROGRAMMING-FOR-FORD-LINCOLN-MERCURY-NAVIGATION-RADIOS_W0QQitemZ140401768750QQihZ004QQcategoryZ38653QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D1%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8657879460770865982#ht_1929wt_1167

Very professional, fast, and done right. As you can see he has 100% positive feedback. I was kinda leery of sending my radio off to someone across the country but he did a great job. My radio needed alot of changing to work right since it was from a THX equipped vehicle and was looking for the factory amplifier and wasn't playing nice with my regular OEM setup. Now everything works perfectly.

DSC_0945.jpg

DSC_0944.jpg

DSC_0951.jpg

Got the version 8P Navigation too!

IMG_0428.jpg

Edited by klc317

Thanks for the info but sending my radio out of country is not an option for me. I'll keep an eye out for somebody local....it's just not that big a deal. Was just hoping that there was an easy way to do it.

My bigger concern is getting a map update for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the info but sending my radio out of country is not an option for me. I'll keep an eye out for somebody local....it's just not that big a deal. Was just hoping that there was an easy way to do it.

My bigger concern is getting a map update for a reasonable price.

One word...Utorrent