Bike Hauler help needed

I am looking to find a bike carrier for my '07 Edge. I was wondering if anyone knows of one that mounts on the back like a trunk style carrier for a car. I do not want to use the hitch as I am pulling a camper that maxes out my tongue weight. Also, I was thinking about building something that would attach to the roof rack to haul 3 bikes. My roof rack did not come with the crossmembers. I thought I could use wood to go across the top of the roof rack and attach it to the rack with U-bolts. It would not look pretty, but iI think it would work. Any suggestions?

I am looking to find a bike carrier for my '07 Edge. I was wondering if anyone knows of one that mounts on the back like a trunk style carrier for a car. I do not want to use the hitch as I am pulling a camper that maxes out my tongue weight. Also, I was thinking about building something that would attach to the roof rack to haul 3 bikes. My roof rack did not come with the crossmembers. I thought I could use wood to go across the top of the roof rack and attach it to the rack with U-bolts. It would not look pretty, but iI think it would work. Any suggestions?

You need to look at what I did:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/1890-yakima-q-towers-and-bamr/

bobbyz95's installation is pretty slick, but i'f you're looking for a different approach, you can always get a receiver for your trailer's bumper and then use a hitch mounted bike rack on the back of the trailer. Then you could use that rack regardless of whether or not you were towing the trailer. You'd just have to make sure the receiver you bought for the trailer's bumper isthe same size as the one you have on the Edge, or you'll need to get an adapter for the bike rack.

you don't want to put it on the lid if the trunk, why? you will ruin the rear spoiler but having the straps go over those and down to hold the carrier on the glass area. that is a lot of down pressure on that flimsy piece of plastic. plus, the straps hooks WILL, in time, rub on the body and cause damage to the paint. last, with a pocket knife I can cut off those racks and take the rack and or bike. get a roof rack as seen above. pricey, but most likely your best bet.

Thanks for the replies. After doing more research, I discovered that absolutely none of the trunk style carriers are recommended for the Edge because of the rear spoiler. I cannot use the hitch mounted one as I am already maxxed out on tongue weight when pulling my camper. I may build a rack for the top of my popup camper. I don't want to spend a lot of money as our bikes are not that expensive anyway(Walmart bikes for under $100), I am thinking about the roof rack on the Edge that is recommended, though. It would be nice to be able to haul the bikes with or without the camper.

This may sound kinda goofy but how much room ya got on the tounge of your pop-up?? Maybe you could buy a 1 1/4 male piece and weld it to the top of the tounge on your pop-up and then just buy a rack to place in the part you welded on. Then you could use it without the trailer also. I am an avid biker. I use the SPORTRACK. Its amazing!! best money ive spent on a bike hauler.

You can get it for two bikes or four. I have the two one. Here is a link.

http://www.sportrack.com/a30901

This may sound kinda goofy but how much room ya got on the tounge of your pop-up?? Maybe you could buy a 1 1/4 male piece and weld it to the top of the tounge on your pop-up and then just buy a rack to place in the part you welded on. Then you could use it without the trailer also. I am an avid biker. I use the SPORTRACK. Its amazing!! best money ive spent on a bike hauler.

You can get it for two bikes or four. I have the two one. Here is a link.

http://www.sportrack.com/a30901

Seconding the SPORTRACK, so adjustable, men's, women's, tall, short, they all fit! Our bikes feel secure and not wobbly; they load/unload fast too. I run some thin cable locks through the bikes and then through some small holes on the underside of the bumper, near the hitch. I think of them as a deterrent, not 100% security, but they give me some peace of mind when I make a quick stop along the way.

if you have the roof rails on your edge you can get the crossbars from ford for 100... you can also get some cheap roof racks that will not hinder the hatch opening.. I use these http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Locking-Upright-Roof-Rack-Pack-of-2/667469/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=946589-000-001

I'd only recommend 2 bikes o the roof though.

here is the thread I started when looking for racks http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/4267-bike-rack-for-factory-crossbars/

Edited by bmitchell4

can you put a front hitch?

no joke. you could 'maybe' do front hitch and hitch rack. just not sure if it is even possible on the Edge - doubt it, but maybe. Seen people do this on bigger trucks, vans, campers.

I wouldn't want to drive with a front hitch on an edge, I guess you could do it though. If you're putting on hitches why not just put a hitch on the back of the camper and a bike rack there.

I can't put the bikes on the back of the popup camper as the bumper on popups are not designed for hauling things. Bad things can happen. I am probably going to made a rack that can be strapped onto the top of the camper. I am looking for a used rack on Craigslist, but I don't know enough about racks to know which ones would fit on the factory rails on my edge. Thanks for all of the input.

Even with Wal-Mart bikes, they won't weigh more than about 20 pounds each. With three bikes, that's only 60 lbs. Figure in about 12 lbs for the weight of the hitch, and it's not that bad. Pop-up bumpers (most I've seen anyway) have been used for years to tow small boats. All you need is the little bumper hitch receiver. I put one on a Jay-Feather camper last year and towed a 14 foot john boat. Surely it will support the weight of 3 bikes. You won't even need to worry about wiring it (which was a bit of a pain for the boat trailer!) This is the hitch I'm talking about...it will just bolt right up. Step Bumper Mount Receiver