2010 Limited or SEL?

I'm in the market, and deciding between the Limited and SEL. Sync is the only must have for me, with a strong preference for leather and a slight preference for the power liftgate. No interest in the 20's, awd, the vista roof, or the nav unit.

Am i really giving anything up going with the SEL instead of the Limited other than some trim levels?

I'm in the market, and deciding between the Limited and SEL. Sync is the only must have for me, with a strong preference for leather and a slight preference for the power liftgate. No interest in the 20's, awd, the vista roof, or the nav unit.

Am i really giving anything up going with the SEL instead of the Limited other than some trim levels?

We found a better price on an LTD with the lift gate and standard leather than an SEL with the same options.

If your not interested in any of the additional items than there is no reason to buy the LTD. Myself I had no desire for awd, vista roof or the power liftgate...I'm a mechanic by trade and know very well how problematic these systems are and what it takes to fix them and didn't want to put up with it. If someone tells you that they can make you a better deal on a LTD vs a SEL then all they want to do is sell you more vehicle while not giving you a good price on the lesser equipped vehicle...dealers do this all the time.

So, it looks like the difference in price between a similarly equipped SEL (202A Rapid Spec-Sync & Leather) and Limited (Base) is about $1,231. That extra on the Limited buys you: Premium Sound (9 speakers including sub), Universal Garage Door Opener, Heated Sideview Mirrors with Security Approach Lamps (?), Brushed Aluminum Interior Trim, Grey Metallic-faced guages, and Chrome Beltline Moldings (?). None of this can be had on an SEL it appears (I could get the sound system if I spring for Navigation - not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent).

The Premium sound system is appealing, but I'll need to take a second look at the interior trims to see if it matters. My other consideration is I'm leaning toward white, and the Limited only comes in the Platinum Metallic White (an extra $595), not the White Suede.

I'm hoping to make a decision this weekend to take advantage of the $4,000 in incentives Ford is offering. Wonder if that's likely to extend past the current 5/3 end date?

So, it looks like the difference in price between a similarly equipped SEL (202A Rapid Spec-Sync & Leather) and Limited (Base) is about $1,231. That extra on the Limited buys you: Premium Sound (9 speakers including sub), Universal Garage Door Opener, Heated Sideview Mirrors with Security Approach Lamps (?), Brushed Aluminum Interior Trim, Grey Metallic-faced guages, and Chrome Beltline Moldings (?). None of this can be had on an SEL it appears (I could get the sound system if I spring for Navigation - not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent).

The Premium sound system is appealing, but I'll need to take a second look at the interior trims to see if it matters. My other consideration is I'm leaning toward white, and the Limited only comes in the Platinum Metallic White (an extra $595), not the White Suede.

I'm hoping to make a decision this weekend to take advantage of the $4,000 in incentives Ford is offering. Wonder if that's likely to extend past the current 5/3 end date?

We picked up a lightly used MKX without the roof, just FWD, and all the other bells & whistles. Am in the process of upgrading the factory 6CD am/fm unit to nav but overall its been great so far. QUite happy with the "lack" of problematic options. We do however love the heated and cooled seats, leather, and other amenities.

We looked at new Edge Limiteds when choosing a vehicle with all the stuff but happened across this for a great deal and am quite happy we got it after hearing all the problems with the leaky AWD units and rattly vista-roof issues.

And the Tri-White or metallic white is beautiful, its almost worth the extra cost if you decide to go that way. I always take a second glance when I see one on the road.

Edited by klc317

Positives for the LTD. The power rear liftgate is well worth the money since it can be activated either by the key fob or from two inside switches, a real boon when your hands are full. IMHOP the sound system is a definite improvement. Depending on where you live the heated seats are well worth the money and are an extra on the SEL. Again depending on where you live, the heated side mirrors are really worthwhile. Finally the fold flat passenger seat is a very useful feature should you ever have to carry a long object.

We picked up a lightly used MKX without the roof, just FWD, and all the other bells & whistles. Am in the process of upgrading the factory 6CD am/fm unit to nav but overall its been great so far. QUite happy with the "lack" of problematic options. We do however love the heated and cooled seats, leather, and other amenities.

We looked at new Edge Limiteds when choosing a vehicle with all the stuff but happened across this for a great deal and am quite happy we got it after hearing all the problems with the leaky AWD units and rattly vista-roof issues.

And the Tri-White or metallic white is beautiful, its almost worth the extra cost if you decide to go that way. I always take a second glance when I see one on the road.

No problems with AWD or roof here. In fact I use the vista roof on a daily basis and I love it.

The AWD performed flawlessly this past winter thanks to the Pirelli Scorpians. When it came to buying a new car I just wasnt going to settle for anything less than what I set out to buy. I really couldnt justify the added cost for faux wood trim, cooled seats, and Lincoln logos.

OP dont settle now or youll end up paying more for those options later.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm shopping now and one other difference I see between the SEL and Limited is the particulate filter. On the Ford website, it looks like filter only comes on the Limited. It's not a bad option for keeping crap out of the cabin and the evaporator coil, I assume. Or is this an upgraded cabin filter?

I'm shopping now and one other difference I see between the SEL and Limited is the particulate filter. On the Ford website, it looks like filter only comes on the Limited. It's not a bad option for keeping crap out of the cabin and the evaporator coil, I assume. Or is this an upgraded cabin filter?

I think the particulate flter..aka cabin air filter comes in vehicles that have automatic climate control. The vehicles without automatic climate control only get a fine mesh screen but a filter can be added in about 30 seconds.