Transmission Maintenance Question

chainsaw2608

I have a 2008 Edge AWD Limited that just hit 30k miles. In the Scheduled Maintenance Guide it says,"Vehicles equipped with the TorqShift transmission and the eternally-mounted remote filter element, replace the automatic transmission fluid and the externally -mounted remote filter element (if equipped)." The Transmission/Transaxle Code on my Safety Compliance Label shows code "J" which according to the owners manual is a 6F50 6-Speed Automatic Transmission. Does this mean I don't have the TorqShift transmission?

The Maintenance Guide also says to replace the fuel Filter, but once again, according to the owners manual it says that I have a life-time fuel filter which does not need to be replaced. True?

I have a 2008 Edge AWD Limited that just hit 30k miles. In the Scheduled Maintenance Guide it says,"Vehicles equipped with the TorqShift transmission and the eternally-mounted remote filter element, replace the automatic transmission fluid and the externally -mounted remote filter element (if equipped)." The Transmission/Transaxle Code on my Safety Compliance Label shows code "J" which according to the owners manual is a 6F50 6-Speed Automatic Transmission. Does this mean I don't have the TorqShift transmission?

The Maintenance Guide also says to replace the fuel Filter, but once again, according to the owners manual it says that I have a life-time fuel filter which does not need to be replaced. True?

Hi chainsaw. :D Correct, you do not have the Torqshift. You have the 6F50.

And I want to congratulate you on finding the transmission code on your Manufacturers door jamb sticker and cross-referencing it to your Owners Manual listing. :drool: I really mean that. You don't know how many people never bother to look first, as you did.

And yes, the Edge has an in-tank fuel filter that is meant to last the life of the vehicle. The Maintenance Schedule recommendation pertains to other vehicle models that do have a replaceable fuel filter.

Just as an FYI for everyone: The Scheduled Maintenance Guide contains information for all Ford vehicles. Therefore, there are separate sections for "Trucks, Vans and SUV's" and "Cars and CUV's", along with "Normal" and "Severe Duty" schedules. So each person must locate the proper section for their vehicle.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

As for the servicing the trans, I had the fluid replaced in our '07 MKX when it hit 30K earlier this year. I plan to do it again about 60K. I'm sure you could let it go much longer but it really doesn't cost that much and is just peace of mind for me to have it changed on a regular schedule. On older vehicles where you can actually dump the pan, converter, and change the fluid DIY garage style it was messy but easy. Now you pretty much have to take it somewhere and get it done since it is a sealed system.

As for letting fluid go for a long time, I have read and seen that as the fluid gets very dirty and gritty (say 150K-200K miles) it kinda turns into a liquid "sandpaper" that sets a pattern per say in the clutches. I'm not very good at explaining it but its kinda similar to the way that a brake pad and rotor with make a wear pattern in each other. Once it reaches this dirty/gritty stage, changing the fluid with fresh can get rid of this effect. The clutches which have worn-in on this grit now don't have it anymore and can cause slippage. This is why if you have a very high mileage vehicle that has never had the trans fluid changed it's best just to let it go. If you keep the fluid fresh and clean over the life of the vehicle this wont happen.

Edited by klc317