defroster problem

Ile Edge

Has anyone out there had a similar problem. If so how was it resolved?

2010 Ford Edge, can't stop the defroster. Heater control clearly shows selections from left to right for air delivery to:

defrost only, defrost & floor, floor only, off, panel & floor, panel only and max a/c. However when the control is placed in the floor only position air continues to come out of the defroster to the extent that in a short time my face is too warm while my feet are still cold. I have put a towel on the defroster outlet but the force of air lifts the towel & it slides off the dash. I then folding the towel double & although it slides less it still lifts enough to give me that cold feet / hot face situation. I suppose something that weighed more might work better but I din't like the idea of things sliding around the dash while i'm driving & I'd have to put it someplace else when I want defrost.

I've taken it to the Ford dealer twice, E mailed Ford motor & took it back to the dealer again. The answer is always variations of: it's just the way it's designed & made, I know you don't like it & it's not right but there's nothing we can do about it. I know now that if I'm going to correct this design flaw I'll probably have to do it myself. That means disarming both air bags, removing the steering column & dash board just to gain access to the air distribution plenium & dampers.

The Edge is my wife's daily driver, so I can't comment on it specifically, but my Mazda6 is similar. When you have the air coming out of the floor vents only, it blows a small amount of air on the front window to keep it from getting fogged. I can say that I don't believe the air coming out of the defroster was ever strong enough to lify a towel. It was a slight amount of air to keep the window clear. I believe my Mazda owners manual even explains this as a design feature.

The only thing I can think of would be to try another dealer if possible and/or ask to check out another Edge that's on the lot and see how the HVAC works on it.

The Edge is my wife's daily driver, so I can't comment on it specifically, but my Mazda6 is similar. When you have the air coming out of the floor vents only, it blows a small amount of air on the front window to keep it from getting fogged. I can say that I don't believe the air coming out of the defroster was ever strong enough to lify a towel. It was a slight amount of air to keep the window clear. I believe my Mazda owners manual even explains this as a design feature.

The only thing I can think of would be to try another dealer if possible and/or ask to check out another Edge that's on the lot and see how the HVAC works on it.

Thanks for the comeback.

I too have had other vehicles that allowed a small amount of air out of the defroster, but never to this extent. The hot air in the face is really quite unplesant and the lack of sufficient heat on the floor is more than a little anoying.

I believe the Lincoln MKX shares the same body & I can't imagine anyone paying that kind of money & tolerating this nonsense.

The dealer showed me another Edge that did the same thing & if they all do it I'm probably not the only one agrivated about it. If that's true then it's some kind of design flaw. I can understand why the dealer dosen't want to get involved in an up hill battle with Ford Motor. On the other hand if other Edge owners are as put off as I am then they'll vote with their feet on their next purchase & I hate to see that happen being a long time Ford fan & stock holder.