Electrical problem !

TheCanadian

Our whole neighborhood woke up this morning to the nice sound of my Edge’s horn gone completely crazy!

As I rushed to the parking, I found all the Car lights on and the horn sounding continuously (not alarm on-off type, but one continuous sound). I tried my Remote but nothing worked, so I open the door manually and try to turn the car on-off from inside but nothing worked and the dashboard lights were flashing and giving all sort of error messages. Had to unplug the battery to make it stop.

Anyway the Ford Assist. arrived and said that’s definitely an electrical problem, maybe the Starter?

That reminds me of the time many years ago, when I lived up there in "Cold Country" full time. Temperature outside was around -12F (-25C). I was getting ready to go to work, and was shaving when I heard a horn blowing outside. My first thought was, "who the heck is the jerk blowing his horn at this time of the morning". Horn kept blowing, so I looked outside and saw that it was my 83 Buick LeSabre that was causing all the noise. Went outside, fiddled with the horn ring on the steering wheel, but nothing would make it stop. Did only thing I could do. Lifted the hood and disconnected the horn wires. (lucky I could get to them). Went to work no problem. When I got home that night, I reconnected the horn wires, and everything worked as it should.

I figure that the cold had contracted the horn contacts in the car, which caused the horns to blow. Never happened again.

"...who the heck is the jerk blowing his horn at this time of the morning". ...

That's exactly what I thought at the beginning!

I actually asked the Ford assist. if it could be the rain (it's +5C today) and he said no.

Anyway, we'll see tomorrow.

-----------------------

I just took the car for a short ride and all seems fine !

Our whole neighborhood woke up this morning to the nice sound of my Edge’s horn gone completely crazy!

As I rushed to the parking, I found all the Car lights on and the horn sounding continuously (not alarm on-off type, but one continuous sound). I tried my Remote but nothing worked, so I open the door manually and try to turn the car on-off from inside but nothing worked and the dashboard lights were flashing and giving all sort of error messages. Had to unplug the battery to make it stop.

Anyway the Ford Assist. arrived and said that’s definitely an electrical problem, maybe the Starter?

I hope everything is okay for you and it is nothing major...I guess new cars have thier kinks to work out sometimes...that sucks though...

I hope everything is okay for you and it is nothing major...I guess new cars have thier kinks to work out sometimes...that sucks though...

Thank you.

Actually I took it to the dealer today and they said that maybe someone tried to cut the Alarm off! (The car was parked outside) :redcard:

I'll find out more when I get the car back.

I guess you could see it as a good thing - the theives are seeing this as a good car to steal - either for joyrides or for profit! ;)

Seriously, its probably cheaper if it were a thief, small repair vs hunt the electrical problem - but of course that offers you no peace of mind if they try again on your car or even your house. However if they made a mess of cutting out the alarm to get at your Edge, they are also probably not very professional and may not come back.

I had my car broken into about 4 years ago in the parking lot of a crappy apartment complex i used to live in when i first moved to this country. My neighbours went to savoury - needless to say i moved out soon afterwards. Hopefully your neighbourhood is a little nicer and these things are sometimes quite random.

I felt bad have the alloys and not having the locks on them in case someone tried to jack them.

So the official version is someone tried to break in the car; I don't see how as we live in a Cul-de -sac and it was around 9am when this happened. :reading:

Anyway all is fixed and I just hope this will never happen again.

I think I may know what the problem is.

I have a 2 week old MKX which did the exact same thing to me. Last Friday, after washing my car, I left it parked in front so it can sparkle in the sun. I went inside to cleanup the rest of the house and take a break. About an hour later I hear a car alarm going off outside and it goes on for about 5 minutes, I said to myself "Jeez! this idiot needs to go turn off his car alarm, I can't even watch tv!...", so I go to take a looksy outside to see who this poor fellow is and it turns out to be my own car :banghead:

I run outside and try disarming it but my key didn't work. Finally after holding my panic button on the key for a bit, it disabled the alarm. First thing that popped in my head was whether or not someone was trying to steal the car. So I circled around and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. After a few minutes of standing there stratching my head, it was time for me to go pickup my kid at the sitters.

I start up the car, then I noticed the message screen showing "rear right passenger door ajar". This probably explains why the alarm went off because the door was opened. So I go outside to check, but door seems to already been shut tight, so I just open/close it again. Get back in the vehicle but the message is still there. I get back out again and open/close the door a couple of more times, but the message doesn't go away. It was getting late so I brushed the problem aside and went pickup the kid.

On the way back, I stopped to fill up with gas, now because the "message" was still there, I couldn't check any other Info statuses at all on my info screen. I tried the reset button but it doesn't work either. So I'm standing out the gas station slamming my rear door about 20 times over. By this time my kid is screaming his lungs out from all the noise and onlookers are thinking I'm abusing him.

So I hop back in the car and drive back home still wondering what the heck is going on with this car. Halfway home, I stop at a stop sign and next thing I know, the door alert light turns off and the message goes away, WTF?! I was hoping Ashton Kutcher would jump out somewhere and scream "you just been punked!!!" but that surely didn't happen.

My theory is due to the hot weather messing up the door sensor, it triggered the alarm to go off. So in your case, because of the cold weather its possible your door sensor was out of wack too and this triggered your alarm. The dealership couldn't find any problems and they don't have any reports or even a clue to what happened. I'm betting there will be more reported issues regarding car alarms going off for no reason and this may hopefully lead to some type of fix or recall.

I have a 2 week old MKX which did the exact same thing to me. Last Friday, after washing my car, I left it parked in front so it can sparkle in the sun. I went inside to cleanup the rest of the house and take a break. About an hour later I hear a car alarm going off outside and it goes on for about 5 minutes, I said to myself "Jeez! this idiot needs to go turn off his car alarm, I can't even watch tv!...", so I go to take a looksy outside to see who this poor fellow is and it turns out to be my own car :banghead:

I run outside and try disarming it but my key didn't work. Finally after holding my panic button on the key for a bit, it disabled the alarm. First thing that popped in my head was whether or not someone was trying to steal the car. So I circled around and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. After a few minutes of standing there stratching my head, it was time for me to go pickup my kid at the sitters.

I start up the car, then I noticed the message screen showing "rear right passenger door ajar". This probably explains why the alarm went off because the door was opened. So I go outside to check, but door seems to already been shut tight, so I just open/close it again. Get back in the vehicle but the message is still there. I get back out again and open/close the door a couple of more times, but the message doesn't go away. It was getting late so I brushed the problem aside and went pickup the kid.

On the way back, I stopped to fill up with gas, now because the "message" was still there, I couldn't check any other Info statuses at all on my info screen. I tried the reset button but it doesn't work either. So I'm standing out the gas station slamming my rear door about 20 times over. By this time my kid is screaming his lungs out from all the noise and onlookers are thinking I'm abusing him.

So I hop back in the car and drive back home still wondering what the heck is going on with this car. Halfway home, I stop at a stop sign and next thing I know, the door alert light turns off and the message goes away, WTF?! I was hoping Ashton Kutcher would jump out somewhere and scream "you just been punked!!!" but that surely didn't happen.

My theory is due to the hot weather messing up the door sensor, it triggered the alarm to go off. So in your case, because of the cold weather its possible your door sensor was out of wack too and this triggered your alarm. The dealership couldn't find any problems and they don't have any reports or even a clue to what happened. I'm betting there will be more reported issues regarding car alarms going off for no reason and this may hopefully lead to some type of fix or recall.

There isnt a safety issue so a Recall will not be posted, most likely just a TSB if its discovered from more owners...

-Dan

Thanks for Posting. Now that you mention it, I think I saw an error message for Door Ajar when my alarm was on !

I hope they will find the bug soon.

Anyway, I hope it won't happen again, but anyway I know what to do next time: either Push and hold the Close door or Panic button on the remote, or just Unplug the battery !

• 4 weeks later...