2010 Ford Edge in the Shop after 450 km - idle and check light problem

PW_SuperDude

I think changing the engine will fix your problem, it seems to be firing problem below 1500 rpm. At least you will start fresh with new engine and enjoy your Edge like most of us do. it's a beautiful riding car with lot of power and comfort.

In couple of months all this will be forgotten.

:yup:

I'm not sure how Ford sends out a new motor. But if it has everything electoral I'd bet it'd fix it. But I don't think the motor has a mechanical problem.

• 2 weeks later...

After 4 weeks to the date, we finally got our Edge back - new engine and all. So far so good, but sometimes we find ourselves a little paranoid whenever we hear something unusual... So the vehicle went in at 450 km and came out at 600km. Apparently, the mechanic decided to drive it home on several occassions (yes, several) in order to "monitor and make sure everything was OK". WTF? I didn't think you were allowed to do that sort of thing?! What if it was involved in an accident or something? Well, the main thing is, we got our vehicle back, it seems to be OK, and with the exception of the oil changes, we don't ever need to go back to that dealership.

Scorecard time...

Ford Motor Company

Customer Service: (E) - They were very unhelpful, lacked empathy, and completely unsupportive.

Quality: (F) - Bad motor - Dearborn technical advisors could not even identify root cause. Admittedly, our confidence in the vehicle is still a bit shaky but if all else goes well, this should improve with time.

Resolution: (D) - New engine seems OK but it took them a month to resolve this. Remember, we only had the vehicle for 12 days before this happened. I still think they should have given us a new vehicle considering the age and mileage.

Yonge-Steeles Ford Lincoln

Customer Service: (E) - We had to continuously chase them for updates and feedback. Commitments made by the sales manager were worthless. The only reason they didn't get an F is that they did start calling us towards the end and they did ensure that a loaner was available (which was billed to Ford Motor Company anyway so it really didn't inconvenience them in the slightest). No offers were made to adjust the warranty period, the Sirius trial period (we essentially lost an entire month's usage), or even follow up with us afterwards to make sure everything was OK. Easily the worst customer service experience I've ever encountered.

Quality: (D) - Diagnostics were ineffective and we got our vehicle back with 30% more mileage on it - a bit excessive in my opinion. Some tool marks, etc. in the engine bay (no longer looks like a factory new vehicle).

Resolution: (D) I'm being generous here on account that we eventually got our vehicle back and it seems to be OK now. Negative factors that affected the score were the timeliness of resolution (very slow), a lack of urgency or sensitivity to the customer, no offer regarding adjustments to the warranty coverage, and a generally horrible customer experience. No one from their management has followed up, either, to make sure things were OK afterwards or to at least offer a simple apology. Very poor performance.

Edited by PW_SuperDude

Glad you got it back finally and that all is going well. Only comment I have is on the mileage issue. When I rebuild engines, or transmissions for that matter I personally make it a point to put at least 50 miles on them before returning the vehicle back to the customer, that way if something does happen it happens to me and not the customer who inevitably will be very upset. At my shop, and others as well I'm sure, when the vehicle is in the care of the shop it should be covered under the shop insurance policy 100%. 98% of the rest of your issues are the servicing dealers fault, they should have handled it better.

I guarantee that when Ford receives the engine back and tears it down it will take them all of 5 minutes to find the problem. They put this engine in multiple vehicles so I'm sure that they build a few hundred thousand or more of these motors every year and unfortunately once in a while things are going to happen...doesn't make it right but unfortunately it can't be avoided.....now hurry up and go trade that thing in before you have to put gas in it