Sport Model + Trailer Hitch?

rrose

Hey guys.... I'm looking into ordering a 2011 Ford Edge.... I know I want a Sport model.... but I noticed that I can't order a Sport model with the class II trailer hitch that I can order on the Limited model. Does anyone have a reasoning for me on this? Can I add a trailer to a sport model? I know its limited on what it can tow.... but its just enough to be able to tow my side by side to the desert.

Hey guys.... I'm looking into ordering a 2011 Ford Edge.... I know I want a Sport model.... but I noticed that I can't order a Sport model with the class II trailer hitch that I can order on the Limited model. Does anyone have a reasoning for me on this? Can I add a trailer to a sport model? I know its limited on what it can tow.... but its just enough to be able to tow my side by side to the desert.

I assume it has to do with those (IMO ridiculous) 22" wheels and ultra-low profile tires. You get the "spor"t appearance along with greatly increased risk of road damage and very limited load carrying capacity. That said I'm sure you can (eventually) find an after-market trailer for the sport.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys, I have a 2011 Ford Ege Sport and have the same problem. I have called just about every distributor and nobody has a hitch that will fit the sport model yet. Also, nobody has a definitive answer as to why the one for the limited model wont fit and why they don't offer one from the factory. I did however contact a major distributor and spoke with the enginerring department and we may work something out where I drive my vehicle to their facility and they will fit a hitch to my truck and make it standard for all 2011 sport models. I will update this post as I get new information.

BTW, I traded in a 2007 Nissan 350Z Roadster for my 2011 Ford Edge Sport and don't regret it one bit. I love the edge and with AWD and the added HP of the sport it handles and performs awesome!

Hey guys, I have a 2011 Ford Ege Sport and have the same problem. I have called just about every distributor and nobody has a hitch that will fit the sport model yet. Also, nobody has a definitive answer as to why the one for the limited model wont fit and why they don't offer one from the factory. I did however contact a major distributor and spoke with the enginerring department and we may work something out where I drive my vehicle to their facility and they will fit a hitch to my truck and make it standard for all 2011 sport models. I will update this post as I get new information.

BTW, I traded in a 2007 Nissan 350Z Roadster for my 2011 Ford Edge Sport and don't regret it one bit. I love the edge and with AWD and the added HP of the sport it handles and performs awesome!

The Sport has a body kit on it that is not cut out for the hitch. I guess you could mount a factory hitch and cut a whole in the lower skirt

That would like like crap!

:wacko:

Edited by wilsons66604

Dropping a standard hitch down 3/4" clears the bottom of the lower bumper cover. NO CUTTING OF BODYWORK.

Due to the 22" tires and different gearing, towing capacity is reduced from 3500 to about 2100. This is what I was told by a Ford engineer. Whether its 100% correct or not, I cant say. It still suits my needs for light duty towing.

Dropping a standard hitch down 3/4" clears the bottom of the lower bumper cover. NO CUTTING OF BODYWORK.

Due to the 22" tires and different gearing, towing capacity is reduced from 3500 to about 2100. This is what I was told by a Ford engineer. Whether its 100% correct or not, I cant say. It still suits my needs for light duty towing.

Hey! Your sport has a trailer hitch ? Can you share any pics?

• 2 months later...

My hitch (from my 2008 Limited) lines up all bolt holes on my 2011. So I'm assuming that the entire unit body from 2007 is identical. Since the rear valance drops down a little lower on the sport than the unpainted rear valance of the SEL and LImited a space is needed. From my mockup a 3/4" spacer is sufficient to drop the hitch under the rear valance. If that's too close for comfort, a 1" spacer can be used, but a longer / taller ball mount would have to be used to keep a level trailer. I had planned to use 3/4" aluminum plate for the spacer so that the hitch makes contact with the entire unit body that it was intended to connect with.

I have no plans on completing this project since we ordered a 2011 Explorer for my wife with a tow package.

Hey guys, I found these pics on google that someone posted. This person has the 2011 Sport with a hitch on it and it looks amazing! (mind you looks like there was some cutting involved but can't fully be sure in the pics) If this is anyones ride on the forum please lets us know where to get this hitch!

post-10830-059391600 1300773882_thumb.jpg

post-10830-011549000 1300773910_thumb.jpg

post-10830-001973400 1300773935_thumb.jpg

Edited by Naverino

I don't care for this. If you look in the first picture, you can see the cutout for the wings on the hitch. (Where the safety chains would hook up) I want something that looks cleaner. I am still searching for a resolution without cutting or welding.

Jeez. Go to U-Haul and get a strap on model.

or, do like I did.

I opted for the Limited with factory tow package

• 3 months later...

I have the 2011 Sport model and the reason you can't get it that way is because of the body kit. The lower piece on the rear has some decorative pieces to it that the others don't have. You can now get a trailor hitch from the dealer and they can install it for you but they have to cut that back bumper to allow the hitch to stick through. I was told that it would look normal if I let them do it. It will also cost between $700-$800 through the dealer (installed).

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed a 2" Curt hitch on my '11 Sport. It took 1.5hrs from start to finish. I had to cut 2 tabs of the heat shields and drill 2 holes in the frame. Very simple install. I didn't cut the lower spoiler as I just pushed it up a little. It didn't wrinkle the bumper or spoiler. I was surprised on how easy it was to install. Towing capacity is down to 2000lbs, but what do you expect with 22's on a crossover. Curt hitch makes a great hitch and it fits with little to no trouble.

I just installed a 2" Curt hitch on my '11 Sport. It took 1.5hrs from start to finish. I had to cut 2 tabs of the heat shields and drill 2 holes in the frame. Very simple install. I didn't cut the lower spoiler as I just pushed it up a little. It didn't wrinkle the bumper or spoiler. I was surprised on how easy it was to install. Towing capacity is down to 2000lbs, but what do you expect with 22's on a crossover. Curt hitch makes a great hitch and it fits with little to no trouble.

That's great! You were able to install it under the body kit? Can you share some pics?

The lack of a trailer hitch on a Sport is one thing that pointed me to a Limited.

Still now additional cooling or sway control but who needs that to haul a lawn mower across town?