Oils Specs for 2008 Edge LTD

PINCPN

Anyone know what the specs are, or if there is a requirement for the oil used in this car? Haven't given it much thought until Big O put a 5w/30w synthetic blend in today when my wife took it in for a change. "Its better for the car" was the reasoning. Has 38k on it. Is that the right weight? Can you go back to regular oil once a synthetic is used? Live in CO, car used mostly on hwy. Thanks for any information. Looked on the Ford Owners site, no specs, and their links to further docs are dead.

Anyone know what the specs are, or if there is a requirement for the oil used in this car? Haven't given it much thought until Big O put a 5w/30w synthetic blend in today when my wife took it in for a change. "Its better for the car" was the reasoning. Has 38k on it. Is that the right weight? Can you go back to regular oil once a synthetic is used? Live in CO, car used mostly on hwy. Thanks for any information. Looked on the Ford Owners site, no specs, and their links to further docs are dead.

The owner's manual is a wealth of proper information and specs---

Open the glove box and pull out the owner's manual. Every spec you'd ever need for the car is in there. Try reading it once just for fun.

If you don't have it or can't find it, they're available here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

And just so you know - the factory oil is a 5W-20 synthetic blend so you wouldn't be going back to regular oil but you should go back to the factory 5w-20. 5w-30 is not "better for the car".

Just to let you know, those cam phasers in the 3.5L engine NEED 5w20 oil to have them actuate the way they should. The tolerances inside of the phaser are extremely tight. 5w30 is too thick. 5w20 regardless of synthetic, blend or old fashioned dinosaur oil is what will keep your engine from getting pulled and having those phasers replaced.

Yes the engine needs to be pulled to replace them.

Stick with what the oil cap states, change it often with a good filter and you should never have any issues.

Another reason you want to stay with the 5W20 is the winter's in Colorado. If you are in the moutains where temperatures can drop well below zero the lighter oil will make the car easier to start. I found that out after living in Gunnison for 5 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Open the glove box and pull out the owner's manual. Every spec you'd ever need for the car is in there. Try reading it once just for fun.

If you don't have it or can't find it, they're available here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

And just so you know - the factory oil is a 5W-20 synthetic blend so you wouldn't be going back to regular oil but you should go back to the factory 5w-20. 5w-30 is not "better for the car".

Thanks for the information. As I stated, I did review the owners manual, and I did click on the link you also sent me. Nothing in the book and the links were dead, hence my post.

Well,

I called Big O and the manager says they will put in 5W20 synth blend for me, no charge. He says they look up in "All Data" ? and it shows a 5W20 synth, 5W20 prem, and a 5W30 Ford Motor Part as the three oil choices for my '08 Edge. Since they dont stock the 5W20 oils, they put in the 5W30 as it is on the list. Strange.

Also, I went to the Ford site https://www.fleet.fo...als/default.asp and there is no mention in the maintenance PDF about what specific oils should be in the car. But anyway, thanks for all your posts, very helpful. Cheers.

Thanks for the information. As I stated, I did review the owners manual, and I did click on the link you also sent me. Nothing in the book and the links were dead, hence my post.

Page 324 of the owner's manual in the link I gave you says the following (it's in the table where it lists all of the fluid specs and part numbers). Not sure how you missed it.

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20

Premium Synthetic Blend

Motor Oil (US)

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20

Super Premium Motor Oil

(Canada)