3000 mile trip, report

Drove from Alabama to Las Vegas and back in our 2010 MKX. I found out real quick the seats are par for Ford and comfortable for about 100 miles before areas start to ache. I found the same to be true on my 99 Cobra and 03 Escape. I changed the seats in the Cobra, but due to the air bag stuff, just suffer with the Escape. I bought the MKX to have something cushie to travel in. I guess I will look for a cushion for the seat bottom, which will defeat the heated and cooled front seats. Since, this was a 3 person vacation, I got to experience the back seats also, no better. This being my only real complaint with the car, I guess, I will vent a little in the event Ford is listening. Why would you spend so much on a nice vehicle and penny pinch on the comfort of the operator? The arm rest are hard and seem to have hard corners and are not the right height. Maybe they are, for different sized people. Most of the surfaces seem harder than they should be. The inside door latches on the driver and right rear passenger side are hinged in too far, like there is no stop for them. The other 2 are correctly stopped or aligned. While I am still on faults, I washed the MKX after getting home and noticed the front and rear bumpers are a completely different color and size of metal flake. I put it on the rack to change oil and I could not tell if the bumpers were replaced or repainted, due to damage prior to being sold. I used to have all this stuff corrected on previous vehicles, but grew to learn, sometimes the cure is worse than the problem.

NOW, things that are good. The ride and quietness are pretty good. I would say about a 7.5. I have the 20 inch wheels. The tire pressure was dead on at 35 psi. The gas mileage averaged in the high 23s. It actually seemed to get better in the second half of the trip. the mid 24s for a while. Less than 6000 miles on it. Probably could have gotten better mileage, but New Mex makes you dirve 75 to 80 mph, hah. Did I read or hear the turn signal will flash 2 or 3 times if pushed for a lane change. Mine is still 1 flash. I might be confusing this with another vehicle. Sirius radio is nice, as is Sync. I got prompted for a vehicle report and received an email with the report. The hands free stuff is nice with the cell phone, still learning to use it correctly. Wipers, washer and headlights are good. Neat little notch in the console lid to run

a wire out with the lid closed. I finally located the front tires, allowing me to dodge the reflectors when changing lanes. Storage is OK, not great. Cup holders are OK, not great.

I have bought all Fords, except for a 75 Civic and an 85 Nissan pickup. I wish Ford would do a little better. I rented a Dodge Caravan for a 7000 mile trip and it beat the MKX in all comfort areas. The storage was better and larger, the mileage was a tad better and power was about the same. It was a 2009 model. Enterprise sold it after I got back due to being over 15000 miles. And the best for last, the seats. They did not look plush, they were not leather, they did not heat and cool, but for the whole trip, no one got saddle sores, 3 passengers.

The seats were comfortable, how hard was that to do? Just wait until I find a good cushion to put in my MKX......

Just got back from a 10,000 km trip. Technically the the Edge performed flawlessly although with only 3000 km on it, that is to be expected. Mileage varied from 30mpg Can (9.3 L/100km) to 25 (10.5L/100km) and for a short time the computer was showing (8.9 L/100km)31 mpg, For the most part it was in the 29 range but it really got the heck knocked out of it in head winds. This mileage is an improvement over the 2008 Edge where the best I could do was about 27. Seems to me that passing performance is better in the 2010 than in the 2008. I have the leather seats, which personally I found conformable being able to put in close to 1000 mile days with only old age stiffness being the consequence. I am really disappointed with the wind noise which is so much worse than my 2008 Edge. In almost anything but a tail wind there was significant wind noise from both the front windows and somewhere on the passenger side there is a component that actually vibrates under certain conditions. The wind noise in a prairie head wind was actually unpleasant. Back to the dealer this week to see what they can do. Does anyone happen to know if the weather seals on the Ford are the same as those on the Lincoln since it had occurred to me and to a salesman i talked to en-route that the Lincoln may have a better rubber seal. It also seems that interior road noise is worse than my 2008. A real disappointment after my 2008.

I really like your mileage, Theakerr. I'll bet I can get close to that, but have to limit it to highway driving only. We drove around Las Vegas everyday, back and forth to the strip. I did not detect any wind noise, but thought I heard something flapping while riding in the back seat.

It may have been on an adjacent vehicle. I am pleased with the power, although an Acura TL sorta smoked me coming off a entrance ramp. I wasn't on the floor, but I doubt I would have had enough to really challenge her. I had some air leaks on something onetime. The dealer had some black peel and stick rubber foam. He must have had to do it before, because he ran a strip of it on the door opening next to the weatherstrip and fixed the leak.