07 MKX 8p maps torrent burning Q's

I recently bought a 07 MKX with factory navigation. That model year has the 4p map disc. Upon scowering the internet, I've discovered that there are maps updated to 9p now. I'm also a avid torrent downloader and found the ford/lincoln/mercury 8p map pack. My question is, has anyone downloaded these torrent files and successfully burned and got them to work in their vehicles. I don't know how to successfully burn these files. I know they have to be dual layered due to the size of the files, but other than that, I'm not very burn savvy. Anyone who has successfully accomplished this feat please enlighten me on how to properly burn the files and get them to read correctly in the factory unit. Thanks a lot.

I recently bought a 07 MKX with factory navigation. That model year has the 4p map disc. Upon scowering the internet, I've discovered that there are maps updated to 9p now. I'm also a avid torrent downloader and found the ford/lincoln/mercury 8p map pack. My question is, has anyone downloaded these torrent files and successfully burned and got them to work in their vehicles. I don't know how to successfully burn these files. I know they have to be dual layered due to the size of the files, but other than that, I'm not very burn savvy. Anyone who has successfully accomplished this feat please enlighten me on how to properly burn the files and get them to read correctly in the factory unit. Thanks a lot.

I've not downloaded or used them either and a lot of people would probably frown upon the use of bittorrent and other such methods of acquiring them (although they're ridiculously expensive).

I download discs that need burning all the time...linux distributions etc. I use MagicISO (don't remember if it's free or not) and use the Magic CD & DVD Burner that came with it to burn ISO files (disc images) to blank discs. You can pick up dual-layer DVD's at any Best Buy etc. You'll know if you need a single layer or dual layer just by whether or not it's over 4gb in size once you download it. You'll use whatever ISO burner you want, select the ISO and burn away. If when you download it it's a .rar file or a .zip file or has tons and tons of .01 .02 .03 .04 file extensions, just use PeaZip or some other file compression software to extract the disc image from the first one.

Good luck to you and report back.

you wouldn't steal a car... so why would you steal a movie?!...

sorry got caught up in that anti-piracy video that I'm forced to sit through while watching all of my legitimately purchased DVDs....

Stealing! haha, right... Good for you upstanding citizens and your ethical stand!... What should be illegal is selling a dvd based nav update (which new ones comes out every year or so) for $199. Give me a break! How is that justifiable? Pardon me for not being sympathetic to the fat wallet industry heads crying about piracy.

I just hope I can find the 9p update soon. I had to settle for 8p.

Stealing! haha, right... Good for you upstanding citizens and your ethical stand!... What should be illegal is selling a dvd based nav update (which new ones comes out every year or so) for $199. Give me a break! How is that justifiable? Pardon me for not being sympathetic to the fat wallet industry heads crying about piracy.

I just hope I can find the 9p update soon. I had to settle for 8p.

So stealing is justified just because you think the price is too high? I think the price of a Porsche Cayman S is a little too high - would you mind stealing one for me?

If you don't like the price then don't buy it. There is no way you can justify stealing it. Just because something is electronic (like DVD movies or songs) and is easy to copy does not mean it's ok. And it's not just a moral issue. How would you feel if you were selling DVDs or CDs to make a living and everyone just went out and copied them illegally and you got no money for all your hard work? I don't think so. But then again people like you don't care about anyone else - you only care about yourself and what you can get for nothing.

How is that justifiable?

Because someone put lots of time and effort, not to mention money into producing the updated maps? What the hell was the company doing, thinking they could make a profit in return for selling a product? How can you justify not paying someone for their work? Do you have the brainpower to comprehend the amount of work that goes in to creating maps for an entire continent!?!? Like has been said, if you can't afford it, you can't get it. No matter what you say, you're stealing, and it's absolutely no different than taking something physical from a store.

I pretty much agree and was just trolling with my dvd comment (although it really irritates me when I have to sit through previews and CANNOT skip them. I paid for a movie, not all of this other junk.)

An argument would be "I can buy a new TomTom for the price of a new nav DVD" - but you didn't get a TomTom, you got a Ford navigation system. The information that the discs cost $200 is available to the public and yet you chose to buy a nav system that has $200 upgrade discs.

He asked if it was possible and he asked what software to use. I suggested software that would do as he asked, I didn't tell him it was illegal or wrong because #1 he probably already knows this, and #2 If someone asked me what time the tea party convention was I wouldn't start on a rant about how crazy Fox News was etc.... I'd look it up for him and tell him. Don't see how him asking how to do something and everyone telling him he's a thief is any different.

Although I'm a member of lots of forums and the discussion of such acts as burning torrented discs is usually frowned upon and can earn you a quick banhammer. I'm not going to post in this thread any more just in case :doh:

Hey thanks to everyone for chiming in with their opinions. We all have a right to our own. I was simply seeking information on a burning process of a torrent and wondering if successfully burning a newer nav software was possible. I was also asked to report back, which I did. These forums are typically filled with all walks of life and each has their own viewpoints on different issues. Honestly, I don't really care if you find me right or wrong, I didnt start this thread for any other reason than inquiring information related to our vehicles... I don't believe in abortion, that doesnt mean I'm going to blast people who do. Nor am I going to be swayed to think differently.

I too am done posting in this thread, because pointless arguing is a waste of time. I'd rather be doing other things, like downloading movies. I hope inception pops up soon. That movie rocked.

Hey thanks to everyone for chiming in with their opinions. We all have a right to our own. I was simply seeking information on a burning process of a torrent and wondering if successfully burning a newer nav software was possible. I was also asked to report back, which I did. These forums are typically filled with all walks of life and each has their own viewpoints on different issues. Honestly, I don't really care if you find me right or wrong, I didnt start this thread for any other reason than inquiring information related to our vehicles... I don't believe in abortion, that doesnt mean I'm going to blast people who do. Nor am I going to be swayed to think differently.

I too am done posting in this thread, because pointless arguing is a waste of time. I'd rather be doing other things, like downloading movies. I hope inception pops up soon. That movie rocked.

Since when is theft a matter of opinion? You're no better than a shoplifter. Asking questions on a public forum on how to steal software is stupid to begin with.

• 3 months later...

I wonder if they have done a proper pricing evaluation on these upgrades. It seems like most people will skip or not upgrade at all rather than pay $200 for the update. I would think a lower price such as under $50 would get a lot more people upgrading and in the end produce even more revenue for Ford/Navteq. They should even look to the lifetime subscription model offered by Garmin for their portable devices. You pay up front or monthly or even yearly, but marketing would be something like for only $4 per month you can keep your maps up to date. The time and effort and cost has already been invested to create the map data. Selling more DVDs at lower cost would net more profit than not selling DVDs at all.

In general, the reason people feel better about stealing software than hardware is that the copy is free. Yes, the content is costly and took a lot to create, but the copy is free. It costs Ford nothing when a person that WILL NOT PAY finds a copy somewhere. They haven't lost a sale nor do they have to produce new content or even a new DVD to replace the stolen one.

ps are the 'used' ones on ebay also 'stolen' as the person selling may have installed from the DVD and is now re-selling that electronic content to someone else? Basically they are keeping the copy and selling the original at a discount.

• 2 months later...

It was a success! I brought the files over to my friends house and he burned it no problem over a few beers during opening night of football! it was cake! went from 4p to 8p for free!

BrentMKXElite, I'm having the same problem as you were faced with above. What was the solution you found? What software did you use to burn the ISO, I'm getting nothing but failures...

Thanks!

• 1 year later...