Steering wheel vibration 65-70 mph

itlnstln

I have a 2007 SEL AWD with about 55K miles, and I have a vibration in the steering wheel that occurs (or is most apparent) from about 65+ mph. I have had the tires balanced, rotated, etc., and I have just replaced them a few weeks ago for general wear. Even after the new tires and an alignment, I still get the vibration. One thing I have noticed of late is that it occurs most noticeably on my way home from work when the temperature is around 85-90+ (I live in Texas). In the mornings, when the temperature is around 75ish, I don't feel the vibration at all, or it's very subtle. I am at a loss as to what might be causing it. I have had to take my Edge in several times for transmission problems (bad calibration, faulty sensors), and I am concerned that maybe some of the issues with the tranny have caused permanent damage. I still have my extended warranty, and I sure don't mind bugging the hell out of them to fix my car, but I am pretty handy, so if it's something fairly cheap/easy, I don't mind fixing it myself. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm guessing that your rotors are warped, and that's what is causing the vibration, as I have the same thing.

It's hard to believe that a warped rotor would be felt without a slight brake application--- especially at 75 MPH--- that speed is where a dynamic balance problem shows up or where a tire with the beginning of ply separation will be evident.

However, if you really think that rotors are the problem, more than likely the warp was caused by whoever rotated the tires and didnt properly torque the lug nuts. Just because they used a torque wrench doesn't mean that it was used properly. I've watched them use it and they usually just make sure that the nuts are torqued to at least the spec. They never start from a slightly tightened nut as they should, and slowly apply the torque till the wrench clicks. They just jerk the handle and if it clicks, that's it. The nut at that point could be way over torqued or could be OK-- it just isn't under torqued.

Anyway, have the lug nuts properly torqued and your rotors will not warp. If they are warped then have the nuts properly torqued and sometimes the warp will go away. If that doesn't get rid of the vibration, then balance or a tire out of round is your problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I have replaced the rotors and in doing so, also properly torqued the wheels when putting them back on, and all of that seems to help. I may still get my tires Road Force balanced in the future. Thanks for all your help. Now I have a new problem with the A/C blower making a ticking noise while it's on, but I'll post that in another section.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2007 SEL AWD with about 55K miles, and I have a vibration in the steering wheel that occurs (or is most apparent) from about 65+ mph. I have had the tires balanced, rotated, etc., and I have just replaced them a few weeks ago for general wear. Even after the new tires and an alignment, I still get the vibration. One thing I have noticed of late is that it occurs most noticeably on my way home from work when the temperature is around 85-90+ (I live in Texas). In the mornings, when the temperature is around 75ish, I don't feel the vibration at all, or it's very subtle. I am at a loss as to what might be causing it. I have had to take my Edge in several times for transmission problems (bad calibration, faulty sensors), and I am concerned that maybe some of the issues with the tranny have caused permanent damage. I still have my extended warranty, and I sure don't mind bugging the hell out of them to fix my car, but I am pretty handy, so if it's something fairly cheap/easy, I don't mind fixing it myself. Thanks in advance for your help.

Yep.... 2007 AWD SEL ..... Warped rotors......