Illuminated Sills

dkpnkc

I recently purchased a '07 MKX & was looking at updating a few items. One I'm interested in are the illuminated sills. When I checked the Lincoln accessories sites they list part # 8A1Z-78132A08-AC for model years 2008-2010. From what I can tell the factory sills for 2007, 2008, and 2009 (and probably 2010) are the same oem part numbers & they look exactly the same from the pictures I've seen for each of these model years.

Therefore my question is; Does anyone know why the illuminated sills would work for 2008-2010 but not 2007? My first thought is wiring but I figure I could work around that..

Along the same lines I was considering the interior lighting kit but again the sites say that it's not for the 2007 model year. This one could be a bit more complicated so this one may not stay on my wish list. In reality I need to put the cash into all weather mats w/ the winter season right around the corner.

Thanks for any insight.

I think I have my answers. I found the installation instructions for both the illuminated sills & the interior lighting kit. From what I can tell they can both be installed in the '07 MKX.

If/when I install I'll come back and post information & pics for future reference.

I think I have my answers. I found the installation instructions for both the illuminated sills & the interior lighting kit. From what I can tell they can both be installed in the '07 MKX.

If/when I install I'll come back and post information & pics for future reference.

Hey there,

Where did you find these at? I saw this thread and did a little searching and cant locate that part number or any instructions for installation. Can you post some links of where you found these. Also any pictures or anything like that. I'd like to install something like that too on my 07 MKX. Thanks.

Hey there,

Where did you find these at? I saw this thread and did a little searching and cant locate that part number or any instructions for installation. Can you post some links of where you found these. Also any pictures or anything like that. I'd like to install something like that too on my 07 MKX. Thanks.

I found the installation instructions here: http://www.lincolnaccessories.com/GfaWeb/techSpecs.do

Then enter:

Selet Type = Installation Instructions

Select Description = Interior (sills) or Electronics (light kit)

Choose Catagory = Trim (sills) or Lamps, Lights, and Treatments -- Truck (light kit)

You can see the parts by clicking on 'Home' and using the selection process to find the accessory you want. I used the model year of '09 instead of '07. The bad news is I haven't been able to find any quality pics of an install or final product so it's really hard to determine if it's worth the $.

I found the installation instructions here: http://www.lincolnaccessories.com/GfaWeb/techSpecs.do

Then enter:

Selet Type = Installation Instructions

Select Description = Interior (sills) or Electronics (light kit)

Choose Catagory = Trim (sills) or Lamps, Lights, and Treatments -- Truck (light kit)

You can see the parts by clicking on 'Home' and using the selection process to find the accessory you want. I used the model year of '09 instead of '07. The bad news is I haven't been able to find any quality pics of an install or final product so it's really hard to determine if it's worth the $.

Do you know for sure that the 09 illuminated sills will be an exact fit for our 07? I'm just scared on it fitting correctly. The DIY installation file was labeled as MY 2008 too!? Just want to confirm that the sills are universal from 07-10.

My 'Lincoln' sill looks smaller than the illuminated sill pictured on the site. hmm

Edited by BrentMKXElite

Do you know for sure that the 09 illuminated sills will be an exact fit for our 07? I'm just scared on it fitting correctly. The DIY installation file was labeled as MY 2008 too!? Just want to confirm that the sills are universal from 07-10.

My 'Lincoln' sill looks smaller than the illuminated sill pictured on the site. hmm

I thought that picture looked bigger also but if you look at the installation guide it does look like it's smaller (though it is a drawing).

What I found (and I would suggest double checking everything) is that the part numbers for the oem sill area are the same from 07-09 (I didn't check 2010). Therefore unless there's a total curve ball anywhere, the illumated sill should, in theory, work ok.

Also if you look at the pics for all the years you'll see the oem sill plate is the same size/style.

My guesses are: Either there could be a slight wiring difference where the installer would have to think outside the box to get hooked up, or the oem sill was redesigned in '08 & the part guides only list the redesign part number for all years.

If I get serious I'll pull the sill area and sill if the metal plate is clipped in per the installation instructions. I would prefer to find someone w/ an '08 and pull to compare but I don't have that option.

I thought that picture looked bigger also but if you look at the installation guide it does look like it's smaller (though it is a drawing).

What I found (and I would suggest double checking everything) is that the part numbers for the oem sill area are the same from 07-09 (I didn't check 2010). Therefore unless there's a total curve ball anywhere, the illumated sill should, in theory, work ok.

Also if you look at the pics for all the years you'll see the oem sill plate is the same size/style.

My guesses are: Either there could be a slight wiring difference where the installer would have to think outside the box to get hooked up, or the oem sill was redesigned in '08 & the part guides only list the redesign part number for all years.

If I get serious I'll pull the sill area and sill if the metal plate is clipped in per the installation instructions. I would prefer to find someone w/ an '08 and pull to compare but I don't have that option.

Yeah, I think the best way to confirm this is to do a direct comparision side by side with our 07' MY, to an 08' or 09' MY MKX. If the sill itself is indeed bigger (longer) as pictured, maybe swapping the whole trim piece with the newer MY trim would work? Referring to the trim where the sill installs to. I can't imagine the whole trim being a different size. When maybe the sill piece might be. I dont know?

oh by the way, I found it a bit cheaper here...

http://lincolnpartspeople.com/searchproduct.asp?model=MKX&catid=3490097876415080&year=09&productdesc=Stainless+Steel+Door+Sill+Plates

Edited by BrentMKXElite

Yeah, I was thinking about the possibility of swapping out the entire trim also as a 'worst case scenerio'. Wouldn't like the idea of the total cost though.

Here are pics from a '07, '08 and '09. The '07 and '08 are easeir to compare since they were taken from close to the same angle (black seats = '07 & tan seats = '09). The '08 pic is the one you can see the door. If they're not the same size then they're really close - but like you said the only possitive way is to personally compare.

Thanks for the link to the cheaper sills.

post-11315-087747300 1287603012_thumb.jpg

post-11315-072032800 1287603022_thumb.jpg

post-11315-093877800 1287603031_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking about the possibility of swapping out the entire trim also as a 'worst case scenerio'. Wouldn't like the idea of the total cost though.

Here are pics from a '07, '08 and '09. The '07 and '08 are easeir to compare since they were taken from close to the same angle (black seats = '07 & tan seats = '09). The '08 pic is the one you can see the door. If they're not the same size then they're really close - but like you said the only possitive way is to personally compare.

Thanks for the link to the cheaper sills.

Nice work on those shots. Yeah, I don't know for sure, but those sills all look pretty comparable. I think it could be a safe bet getting those to fit without any problems. I think you should buy them first and let me know how it all works out. Haha.

• 3 years later...