Questions About Adding Homelink to Sport

I have an Edge Sport being delivered this week, and I'm trying to figure out how to get homelink installed in it. I have no clue why it isn't standard, but anyways....

So I was under the impression that the Limited models had the homelink module on the visor (never looked in the one I test drove, but I assumed this because my dad's F150 is this way). Can anyone with a Limited confirm this for me?

If this is the case, I was hoping to simply order the visor from the limited model, swap it out, and call it a day.

Of course, it's not so simple with my dealer....First the service guy says he can order the visor but they can't install it. However, he is now insisting that no Edge has homelink in the visor, but instead the Limiteds have it in the mirror. So, he can order me the rearview mirror with homelink, which Ford sells as an accessory, and have that installed.

I'm pretty sure a visor would be cheaper, and I want to be like a factory job, not an accessory. So, has anyone with a sport done this yet?

All help is greatly appreciated.

I have an Edge Sport being delivered this week, and I'm trying to figure out how to get homelink installed in it. I have no clue why it isn't standard, but anyways....

So I was under the impression that the Limited models had the homelink module on the visor (never looked in the one I test drove, but I assumed this because my dad's F150 is this way). Can anyone with a Limited confirm this for me?

If this is the case, I was hoping to simply order the visor from the limited model, swap it out, and call it a day.

Of course, it's not so simple with my dealer....First the service guy says he can order the visor but they can't install it. However, he is now insisting that no Edge has homelink in the visor, but instead the Limiteds have it in the mirror. So, he can order me the rearview mirror with homelink, which Ford sells as an accessory, and have that installed.

I'm pretty sure a visor would be cheaper, and I want to be like a factory job, not an accessory. So, has anyone with a sport done this yet?

The Mirror accessory worked great for me. Inlcudes Compass and auto-dim. Dealer installed.

My 2008 limited had it in the visor and I believe all the new limited's still have it located there. When I spoke to my salesman he said he could order me a homelink visor for my sport for approx. $175. the unit is built into the visor and their is already a power lead to the visor for the light in the vanity mirror. Sounds like a simple swap.

My 2008 limited had it in the visor and I believe all the new limited's still have it located there. When I spoke to my salesman he said he could order me a homelink visor for my sport for approx. $175. the unit is built into the visor and their is already a power lead to the visor for the light in the vanity mirror. Sounds like a simple swap.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I think my dealer's service guy just doesn't know too much about this. I assured him the limiteds have homelink in the visor. He told me to get him the VIN of an edge that has the homelink in the visor, and he'll order the part as if it were for that edge. So I searched the inventory of another dealer and gave him the VIN of some random edge limited. Hopefully this works. :stats:

This is exactly what I was thinking. I think my dealer's service guy just doesn't know too much about this. I assured him the limiteds have homelink in the visor. He told me to get him the VIN of an edge that has the homelink in the visor, and he'll order the part as if it were for that edge. So I searched the inventory of another dealer and gave him the VIN of some random edge limited. Hopefully this works. :stats:

It will. How much was it?

It's simply a plug and play, the homelink gets power from the mirror

The service guy at my dealer finally did his research, and he shall be ordering the visor with homelink soon. He said the regular price is $100, but he'll give me a small discount for the trouble I had to go through to get it. He also said since it's such an easy install he'll just give it to me and I can install it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

The service guy at my dealer finally did his research, and he shall be ordering the visor with homelink soon. He said the regular price is $100, but he'll give me a small discount for the trouble I had to go through to get it. He also said since it's such an easy install he'll just give it to me and I can install it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

$100? Cheaper? Find out how many he would be willing to order?

You're right, Akirby. He called back today and said after talking to someone at Ford, he found out the one he was pricing does not have homelink. The one he finally ordered today, with homelink, is ~$315. He also told me the guys at Ford told him this couldn't be done, but he personally thinks it won't be a problem. I don't see why I wouldn't work...but if it doesn't I'm out $315. Should get it on Friday and I'll install it some time this weekend.

You're right, Akirby. He called back today and said after talking to someone at Ford, he found out the one he was pricing does not have homelink. The one he finally ordered today, with homelink, is ~$315. He also told me the guys at Ford told him this couldn't be done, but he personally thinks it won't be a problem. I don't see why I wouldn't work...but if it doesn't I'm out $315. Should get it on Friday and I'll install it some time this weekend.

This is one time I'm not happy to be right. But I was afraid that was the case. As for the plug-n-play I've know people that have done it on other Ford vehicles. I bought a cheap maxima homelink visor from ebay for $50 and added it to my visor. Works great - just wired it into the vanity lights which are always hot. But I couldn't figure out how to get the fabric all the way off so I cut it and it looks terrible. I need to get a replacement and try again.

• 2 weeks later...