Tirerack TPMS 2011 Edge

AXCL

Has anyone ordered wheels from Tirerack.com with the TPMS? They are quoting $292USD for the 315mhz sensors, but Ford Canada has them for $180CAD. I was told by the dealer that the old band sensors Pre 2011 were over $300, so I'm thinking Tirerack isn't including the correct ones. Did anyone get these...did they work? I still save money in total, but I don't want to get them and find out they weren't the right ones.

Has anyone ordered wheels from Tirerack.com with the TPMS? They are quoting $292USD for the 315mhz sensors, but Ford Canada has them for $180CAD. I was told by the dealer that the old band sensors Pre 2011 were over $300, so I'm thinking Tirerack isn't including the correct ones. Did anyone get these...did they work? I still save money in total, but I don't want to get them and find out they weren't the right ones.

Hello again, my friend! :D You may be correct. However, you cannot compare Ford Dealer and Tire Rack or other large distributor prices.

Here is what I would do: Call The Tire Rack back. Tell them you have a 2011 Edge and ask them to quote the price of "valve-type" TPMS sensors for your vehicle. Then ask them for a price quote for the "band-type" sensors are for the 2006-2009 Edge (if they ask, say you are asking for your Brother-in-law or just because you want to know).

I am sure you know that you must purchase the valve-type sensors. The 2006-2009 "band-type" sensors are not compatible with your Edge.

See how prices match up to the information you already have.

Just my advice, for what it's worth.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hello again, my friend! :D You may be correct. However, you cannot compare Ford Dealer and Tire Rack or other large distributor prices.

Here is what I would do: Call The Tire Rack back. Tell them you have a 2011 Edge and ask them to quote the price of "valve-type" TPMS sensors for your vehicle. Then ask them for a price quote for the "band-type" sensors are for the 2006-2009 Edge (if they ask, say you are asking for your Brother-in-law or just because you want to know).

I am sure you know that you must purchase the valve-type sensors. The 2006-2009 "band-type" sensors are not compatible with your Edge.

See how prices match up to the information you already have.

Just my advice, for what it's worth.

Are you stalking me...cause that would be super! :redcard: (10 points if you can name the movie!)

That's my problem. I've called them 5 times and its busy! Will try again shortly. I like your sly nature, you think like me. :shades:

The price is an issue as well, but isn't what I'm concerned about, it is just what raised the flag. Normally you can't compare prices this way as the dealer is more expensive, so the fact that the Tirerack is over $100 bucks more instantly made me think something was wrong!

Are you stalking me...cause that would be super! :redcard: (10 points if you can name the movie!)

That's my problem. I've called them 5 times and its busy! Will try again shortly. I like your sly nature, you think like me. :shades:

The price is an issue as well, but isn't what I'm concerned about, it is just what raised the flag. Normally you can't compare prices this way as the dealer is more expensive, so the fact that the Tirerack is over $100 bucks more instantly made me think something was wrong!

Hi AXCL. :D "National Lampoon's Van Wilder". :party2:

Knew that one without cheating (Googling). I will collect my ten points now, thank you!

Let us know what you find out, AXCL.

Hi AXCL. :D "National Lampoon's Van Wilder". :party2:

Knew that one without cheating (Googling). I will collect my ten points now, thank you!

Let us know what you find out, AXCL.

You are correct! +10 points!

Just spoke to Damon Witters ext 643 - I'm listing him as he was a great guy to deal with. Perhaps they all are???, but as busy as they are this time of year, he spent 10 min on the phone with me to ensure everything was the correct fitment.

He couldn't explain why the TPMS was so much more, but could state they are the right ones, he has 2 different parts listed for the 07-10 Edge and the 2011. He even told me they are big enough that they have a "TPMS Guy" That is all he does and maintains a database of what works and what doesn't and keeps them in stock with what the need. I wonder if he has to to TPS reports? :hysterical:

• 4 weeks later...

OK for the big update - I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

I received the entire order in less then a week! Woo Hoo!

I had my first maintenance scheduled the next week so I waited until then to have the tires put on. The dealer was hesitant to install them as the rings were not even close!

A) 2011 Hub size is 63.36mm. I was sent 70.2 (Hub size was determined with a caliper to be 63.29, using a margin of error and the closest ring size online I could find I came to 63.36 to be the actual hub size)

B)Rim hub OD from Factory Spec found on website was 74.1mm, I was sent 72.2mm

So in short, it didn't fit! I had the dealer put them on with no rings anyway, but there was some vibration around 120km/h.

So after some restrained discussions with Tire rack, I was sent replacements and was told they would reimburse me for any "reinstall" costs...it arrived a week later..yes it! I received a package with 1 ring. Following some less restrained discussions with Tire rack, I was sent 4 replacements this time. The closest rings they had were 74-63.9. They assured me this would be acceptable and that my measurements were likely off and this ring is the correct one.

Yes the rings were acceptable, but not perfect. Balance is better then before, very little vibration even up to 140km/h.

OD exact!

Hub (ID) was a bit big as I thought, I still believe 63.36mm to be the right size, 63.9mm was a tiny bit loose.

Answer to my initial question regarding sensors, is that they were the correct ones and were proven to work fine after I had the tires on for about a week, and on New Years Day, I ran over a box cutter blade somewhere. GRRR!

Luckily I heard the air coming out just after parking in my driveway, so I quickly put one of my 22's back on. I had to wait a couple of days for a shop to open to take a look at the tire. First time I drove it 2 days later with the now flat tire in the trunk, my TPMS came on as soon as I started the car...so at least I know my sensors work.

Upon dismounting and looking at the tire, the shop said it wasn't that bad on the inside and did a plug/patch. All appears to be fine now after 2 full days, so I think I'm clear. (This is also when I put the rings on)

It appears I may have pioneered the way to new winter rims on a 2011 Edge sport on tire rack. Not to mention finding the rim spec error!

During the order there is no time when they tell you what ring size is correct, only that they send the appropriate rings for the application. I'd insist they tell you, so you know what you're getting. I'd assume 63.36mm would apply to all 2011's, but not sure!

So following much drinking...not in the car! I'm calm again. Lets hope it lasts.

Edited by AXCL

• 1 month later...

OK for the big update - I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

I received the entire order in less then a week! Woo Hoo!

I had my first maintenance scheduled the next week so I waited until then to have the tires put on. The dealer was hesitant to install them as the rings were not even close!

A) 2011 Hub size is 63.36mm. I was sent 70.2 (Hub size was determined with a caliper to be 63.29, using a margin of error and the closest ring size online I could find I came to 63.36 to be the actual hub size)

B)Rim hub OD from Factory Spec found on website was 74.1mm, I was sent 72.2mm

So in short, it didn't fit! I had the dealer put them on with no rings anyway, but there was some vibration around 120km/h.

So after some restrained discussions with Tire rack, I was sent replacements and was told they would reimburse me for any "reinstall" costs...it arrived a week later..yes it! I received a package with 1 ring. Following some less restrained discussions with Tire rack, I was sent 4 replacements this time. The closest rings they had were 74-63.9. They assured me this would be acceptable and that my measurements were likely off and this ring is the correct one.

Yes the rings were acceptable, but not perfect. Balance is better then before, very little vibration even up to 140km/h.

OD exact!

Hub (ID) was a bit big as I thought, I still believe 63.36mm to be the right size, 63.9mm was a tiny bit loose.

Answer to my initial question regarding sensors, is that they were the correct ones and were proven to work fine after I had the tires on for about a week, and on New Years Day, I ran over a box cutter blade somewhere. GRRR!

Luckily I heard the air coming out just after parking in my driveway, so I quickly put one of my 22's back on. I had to wait a couple of days for a shop to open to take a look at the tire. First time I drove it 2 days later with the now flat tire in the trunk, my TPMS came on as soon as I started the car...so at least I know my sensors work.

Upon dismounting and looking at the tire, the shop said it wasn't that bad on the inside and did a plug/patch. All appears to be fine now after 2 full days, so I think I'm clear. (This is also when I put the rings on)

It appears I may have pioneered the way to new winter rims on a 2011 Edge sport on tire rack. Not to mention finding the rim spec error!

During the order there is no time when they tell you what ring size is correct, only that they send the appropriate rings for the application. I'd insist they tell you, so you know what you're getting. I'd assume 63.36mm would apply to all 2011's, but not sure!

So following much drinking...not in the car! I'm calm again. Lets hope it lasts.

What are these rings that you speak of? Do you have any photos?