USB Key For Music No Longer Works...Ideas / Help Wanted!

Dreamss

Looking for some help if possible please :sos:

I have been listening to all my music via USB since day one..meaning 6 weeks or so and all has been great, no complaints at all.

I also have my iphone 4 paired with the car (only use it for the phone feature, nothing else) so when the car starts up, it takes about 30 seconds or so before the phone is fully connected via Bluetooth and only then do i usually put the car in drive and head off (as most of the my touch screen is dead until it does so anyhow).

As the car starts to pair up with the phone, the music usually automatically lowers a little until the car says "911 Assist is off blah blah blah"...during this time I have pretty much no access to anything and I can't lower or raise the volume of the music.

This afternoon I shut off the car while listening to some music on my USB and went to pick up my daughter from my in laws. When I got back in the car with her, I remembered the music being really loud so when I started the car I tried to lower the music as fast as possible but I forgot it was pairing with my phone and as usuall it wouldn't let me. I don't know if I tried to shut it off or it I touched something but after the iphone pairing was done and the music should have started up, the USB just froze up in the middle of the song and the music would no longer play however it still shows the artist and title of the song it was playing (time or red scroll bar frozen as well).

I try everything to get it running again but to no avail.

The odd thing is that I can still browse the USB key as always and search everything on it, every track it has; it sees and finds everything. I find and select another artist / song and attempt to play it but it then returns to the frozen screen which shows the artist that was playing previously (when it froze) and the red bar which scrolls with the time remaining in the song still frozen where it left off.

I pulled the USB out, the USB option for media dissapears so i know it realizes it's gone, and the "frozen" screen i saw while on the USB device also goes away. I pop it back in, it re-index's the USB and once I try to play anything, it just returns to the same frozen screen exactly as it was before I pulled out the USB. I tried this shutting off the car several times, waiting 5 minutes up to 3 hours to see if it would reset itself, it didn't.

I now figure the USB got corrupted so I grab another USB, slap some music onto it and bring it to the car. I pop it in, it indexes but the same frozen screen comes back on???! The only difference is that the frozen screen does not show the artist or song title, however it does show the track number it was (on the top left) and the red time scroll bar is still frozen at the same place?

I browse the USB for the music I just put on it, I find the 3 test songs I added, I pick one, but it returns to the "frozen" play screen again.

Everything else works perfectly, iphone still pairs up fine, all other media works fine as well e.g. AM / FM, Sirius etc...no problems at all.

What the heck happened and how do I fix this now? Why does it always return to the same screen where it froze up and not let me play anything now via USB? Is there a way to reset it without pulling the fuse or battery and would this option even fix this?

The USB drive seems to work fine, it reads and displays the personalized name i labelled each USB key when i browse my media options, it indexes, it finds the music on it, but it just returns to the screen i jammed and wont unfreeze the screen for new music?

What should i do and try next?

Thanks for all the advice!!

Tony

Edited by Dreamss

Hi. i did some checking and some people have pulled the fuse for the sync system for 20 to 30 seconds and replaced it and that fixed the usb issue. you have to look in the owners manual to see what fuse is for the sync. it will save you a trip to the dealer. shutting off the car does not kill all the power to sync so you have to do it with the fuse. all sync is is a small computer in your car so just reboot it like you would do at home. you will loose all of your settings and you will have to pair your phone again. let me know how it turned out.

Hi. i did some checking and some people have pulled the fuse for the sync system for 20 to 30 seconds and replaced it and that fixed the usb issue. you have to look in the owners manual to see what fuse is for the sync. it will save you a trip to the dealer. shutting off the car does not kill all the power to sync so you have to do it with the fuse. all sync is is a small computer in your car so just reboot it like you would do at home. you will loose all of your settings and you will have to pair your phone again. let me know how it turned out.

I actually had something similar happen to me, but instead of pulling the fuse, I just clicked the media re-index, and sync rebooted without having to pull the fuse. I guess it had just got to the point right before it crashed, and by trying to do a media re-index caused it to crash and reboot... after that it was fine.

M.

I had this issue with my Zune connected via USB. Pulling the fuse repaired the issue. You don't lose any settings by pulling the fuse, waiting a minute or so and then replacing it. Be careful with the fuse removal, though, as getting to it is a pain. It is really easy to drop the fuse (#29) behind the panel, never to be seen again.

-steve

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I was planning on trying one of the ideas you all mentioned when I got home from work today but since my wife was out with the car I couldn't do it right away.

As I waited for my wife to get home, I got a call from her that as she was driving, the entire touch screen just froze up and everything crashed. Nothing at all worked anymore, it went dead, pop up then showed up saying Navigation was not available or card reader fault (from what I remember her saying), radio stopped, and when she went to touch the screen, it was un-responsive. I told my wife to pull over, shut off car and re-start it...she did and still nothing, it was still un-useable.

I tell her to leave it alone and do what she had to do, she went shopping for about 30 minutes and when she returned, she called me back to say that all that all is now working perfectly fine, everything works as if nothing had ever happened.

To me, it sounds like my USB "bug" just crashed the system and forced it to "re-boot" or something like that and at the same time, it may not even be related?

When she got home, I grabbed the small USB drive I created just for testing, the one with the 3 songs on it and not the one that initially froze up on me, I went into the car, plugged it in and it worked flawlessly. No more frozen screen, music came right on, everything seems to be back to normal and I didn't have to do anything. It is crappy though that the system just died in the middle of my wife driving...she lost her heat and had to use the manual defrost settings below the screen to get some heat back in the car. This really bothers me and I find that a little "unsafe" especially when my 18 month old is usually in the car with us and the last thing I need is to lose heat in sub zero temperature.

Well, don't know what happened, don't know why it took so much time for it to fix itself or un freeze but from what I can tell it looks ok now. Tomorrow I will put back the 4 gig USB I have all my music on and hope for the best...I just may re-format it and re-load the music just in case...I doubt I need to but I’d rather be safe than sorry. If I run into any more problems, I’ll be back!

Thanks again!

Tony

Edited by Dreamss

I had this issue with my Zune connected via USB. Pulling the fuse repaired the issue. You don't lose any settings by pulling the fuse, waiting a minute or so and then replacing it. Be careful with the fuse removal, though, as getting to it is a pain. It is really easy to drop the fuse (#29) behind the panel, never to be seen again.

-steve

Yep, I've already lost one fuse behind the panel. :wacko: