Questions on 2011 SEL HID Replacement - some new questions

Greetings,

So I ordered a 2011 Ford Edge SEL from the factory. It should get here in about 2 months, and after a short break-in period I'd like to put in HIDs.

I have some questions, some of which I do not find answers to in other threads so I figure I'd just re-ask everything here.

1 - Lenses

A friend said that I would probably want a lense for it (I "imagine" the clear plastic housing). He said it scattered the light less.

Where can I find them? Or do I need to go to a jumkyard and try to salvage a "Limited" version that had it installed from the factory.

If I don't get one, how bad is the scatter?

I ask because my last car had them as a factory option and they looked nice and crisp.

2 - Which kits?

I go to HIDGEEKS but their guide on sylvania doesn't have the 2011 Ford Edge (only 2010). I know a bunch of stuff got changed around with the 11's so I don't want to trust the 2010 info.

Which parts do I need? I'm hearing 9006 and 9012 being thrown around on the threads, which one do I need. Preferably, the one that "fits in the best" as I'd rather not have to cut/trim plastic.

3 - Slim Ballast?

I don't mind the extra $20. Do I get anything useful out of it (like easier install)? Or will the fact that it's slim mean it will "rattle around" inside the casings. One site I read mentioned that they have lower failure rates, but I don't know if that's just bunk.

Again, I don't care about the $20.

4 - Best place to order them?

I see hidgeeks.com mentioned a bunch.

I also see retrosolutions.com mentioned, but it seems like retro is no more (just a portal linking to other sites, and it's for sale).

I want quality, so I don't mind spending a little extra.

Any other info would be appreciated.

Edited by mindwarp

well since you have a 2011 Edge you have projectors so you wont get any scatter. The Bulb size is a HIR2 which is essentially a 9006 bulb with a smaller tab (very very similar) From personal experience i used the DDM tuning kit and the bulb went in with minimal modification (very light sanding). Slim ballast this is you to you. a normal sized ballast can fit as well but if you feel comfortable with a slim one then go for that. One thing you need will be a relay harness (about $20-$30 depending what site you go to) ddmtuning.com has very good kits you should check them out as well as the other sites that you mentioned.

well since you have a 2011 Edge you have projectors so you wont get any scatter. The Bulb size is a HIR2 which is essentially a 9006 bulb with a smaller tab (very very similar) From personal experience i used the DDM tuning kit and the bulb went in with minimal modification (very light sanding). Slim ballast this is you to you. a normal sized ballast can fit as well but if you feel comfortable with a slim one then go for that. One thing you need will be a relay harness (about $20-$30 depending what site you go to) ddmtuning.com has very good kits you should check them out as well as the other sites that you mentioned.

Im about to put in my HID's. just trying to figure out where ppl mount the ballasts, where did you mount your ballasts?

Greetings,

So I ordered a 2011 Ford Edge SEL from the factory. It should get here in about 2 months, and after a short break-in period I'd like to put in HIDs.

I have some questions, some of which I do not find answers to in other threads so I figure I'd just re-ask everything here.

1 - Lenses

A friend said that I would probably want a lense for it (I "imagine" the clear plastic housing). He said it scattered the light less.

Where can I find them? Or do I need to go to a jumkyard and try to salvage a "Limited" version that had it installed from the factory.

If I don't get one, how bad is the scatter?

I ask because my last car had them as a factory option and they looked nice and crisp.

I also ordered a 2011 Edge SEL. I'm waiting to recieve it but did order the 55w, 6000K Kit from Todd at Retrosolutions. Todd was very helpful with the ordering process and I have read many good things in regards to their support. Retrosolutions website is still valid..the correct address is www.retro-solutions.com You can also PM him on this board and there is a member discount through here.

I can't wait to acutally get the vehicle and install them. I'm a little concerned redy some of the comments about light scattering but I think they will do a great job in the Edge. I'd also be curious as to where everyone is mount the ballasts.

2 - Which kits?

I go to HIDGEEKS but their guide on sylvania doesn't have the 2011 Ford Edge (only 2010). I know a bunch of stuff got changed around with the 11's so I don't want to trust the 2010 info.

Which parts do I need? I'm hearing 9006 and 9012 being thrown around on the threads, which one do I need. Preferably, the one that "fits in the best" as I'd rather not have to cut/trim plastic.

3 - Slim Ballast?

I don't mind the extra $20. Do I get anything useful out of it (like easier install)? Or will the fact that it's slim mean it will "rattle around" inside the casings. One site I read mentioned that they have lower failure rates, but I don't know if that's just bunk.

Again, I don't care about the $20.

4 - Best place to order them?

I see hidgeeks.com mentioned a bunch.

I also see retrosolutions.com mentioned, but it seems like retro is no more (just a portal linking to other sites, and it's for sale).

I want quality, so I don't mind spending a little extra.

Any other info would be appreciated.

I also ordered a 2011 Edge SEL. I'm waiting to recieve it but did order the 55w, 6000K Kit from Todd at Retrosolutions. Todd was very helpful with the ordering process and I have read many good things in regards to their support. Retrosolutions website is still valid..the correct address is www.retro-solutions.com You can also PM him on this board and there is a member discount through here.

I can't wait to acutally get the vehicle and install them. I'm a little concerned reading some of the comments about light scattering but I think they will do a great job in the Edge. I'd also be curious as to where everyone is mount the ballasts.

Edited by snowmancomic