Problems with '07 AWD Edge

Sappycowgirl

I'm new to this forum and joined after searching about a strange smell in my '07 AWD Edge. From what I have read the problem seems pretty widespread, regarding the PTU issues in the '07 AWD models. After a year of driving my first brand new vehicle I was noticing a strange smell that I can only describe as a burning chemical smell that grew stronger the further I drove and the more I had to sit at lights. I took it in and was told it was cause by a mouse nest near my engine and was charged over one hundred dollars for the cleaning. The smell persisted, but now it was spring and I could open the windows to air it out. It is now a year later and I've ignored the smell up until now. It has become very overwhelming and it can even be smelled outside my vehicle when it is running and right after I park. I'm frustrated because for two years my two year old has rode with me and had to breath the smells and I'm nearing the end of my second pregnancy and have realized I have exposed my new baby to potentially harmful fumes. Can anyone provide any advice, fixes, harmful side effects??? I have my third call into the Ford service manager at our local dealer. HELP!!!

I'm new to this forum and joined after searching about a strange smell in my '07 AWD Edge. From what I have read the problem seems pretty widespread, regarding the PTU issues in the '07 AWD models. After a year of driving my first brand new vehicle I was noticing a strange smell that I can only describe as a burning chemical smell that grew stronger the further I drove and the more I had to sit at lights. I took it in and was told it was cause by a mouse nest near my engine and was charged over one hundred dollars for the cleaning. The smell persisted, but now it was spring and I could open the windows to air it out. It is now a year later and I've ignored the smell up until now. It has become very overwhelming and it can even be smelled outside my vehicle when it is running and right after I park. I'm frustrated because for two years my two year old has rode with me and had to breath the smells and I'm nearing the end of my second pregnancy and have realized I have exposed my new baby to potentially harmful fumes. Can anyone provide any advice, fixes, harmful side effects??? I have my third call into the Ford service manager at our local dealer. HELP!!!

Try another dealer

I agree try another dealer.... They are pretty good cars. I had problems with the brakes rigt from day one and I too had a terrible dealer. He told me the brakes were a wear item at 3500 miles....but he did machine the rotors and it lasted for about another 3500 miles until the warp persisted. I took it to a brake shop and he told me the rotors were now too thin. 7000 mikes new rotors and brakes. Joe Cunninghams in Parksville BC is a terrible dealer and although I wanted a 2011 Edge, bought the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited instead ..... go find a good dealer and dump the Ford and let Ford know why. I find they just keep referring problems to "your local dealer" and don't really care about the consumer. I am in the market for a new truck and love the Ford but won't go near our local Ford dealer.

It is definitely the leaking PTU seals. Have you checked under the car, you should have some oil stains. Take it to a new dealer and tell them that this is the problem and that they should fix it now. It is a simple fix and should be covered by warranty. Our dealer took care of it for us quickly and efficiently

Good luck