Just Picked Up My Brand New Edge!!!

mustangs_ryan

Hi all, I just picked up my 2011 Ford Edge Limited. Here is specifically what I got:

Kona Blue

Charcoal Black Leather

20 inch chrome wheels

Canadian Touring Package

Cargo Package

Driver Entry Package

HID Headlamps

Panoramic Vista Roof

Vision Package

SYNC

I put my first 100 km on last night and so far I am very happy with it!

I do have a couple of questions for anyone who could help:

1. The remote starting system seems to only work if I first look the doors. That seems a little bit strange because then you immediately have to unlock the doors to get the snow brush out/get yourself in.

2. I'm a little disappointed in the look and feel of the navigation software. Are there any settings that can be changed to improve the look?

I also wanted to thank the forum in general for all the information which not only helped me decide the on the features that I wanted my edge to have but also helped me negotiate a great deal!

I uploaded the only picture I've taken so far. I'll try and add a view higher quality shots over the next few days.

Edited by mustangs_ryan

Hi all, I just picked up my 2011 Ford Edge Limited. Here is specifically what I got:

Kona Blue

Charcoal Black Leather

20 inch chrome wheels

Canadian Touring Package

Cargo Package

Driver Entry Package

HID Headlamps

Panoramic Vista Roof

Vision Package

SYNC

I put my first 100 km on last night and so far I am very happy with it!

I do have a couple of questions for anyone who could help:

1. The remote starting system seems to only work if I first look the doors. That seems a little bit strange because then you immediately have to unlock the doors to get the snow brush out/get yourself in.

2. I'm a little disappointed in the look and feel of the navigation software. Are there any settings that can be changed to improve the look?

I also wanted to thank the forum in general for all the information which not only helped me decide the on the features that I wanted my edge to have but also helped me negotiate a great deal!

I uploaded the only picture I've taken so far. I'll try and add a view higher quality shots over the next few days.

The remote start is a 3 step process. Lock door button then remote start button twice within 5 seconds. Guess so you don't start it by mistake. As far as the navigation I'm happy with it. In settings you can change the day and night view if you wish. at least that is what I remember anyway

The remote start is a 3 step process. Lock door button then remote start button twice within 5 seconds. Guess so you don't start it by mistake. As far as the navigation I'm happy with it. In settings you can change the day and night view if you wish. at least that is what I remember anyway

Thanks for explaining the remote start process. It really couldn't be easier now that I have tried it a couple of times.

As for the nav system I guess I'm just accustomed to a 3d style user interface. I guess I was hopping the edge system would look more like e version on the ford commercial. I'm sure I will get used to this system.

That being said overall I couldn't be happier with my edge. I actually had to go back to the dealership last nigh to pick up some paperwork and while I was there I believe I convinced a random customer to go with the edge rather than the escape.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In regards to the remote start, at least in my neighborhood, you want to make sure your doors are LOCKED before the car starts up with nobody around.... may not be there when you get out to it.

In regards to the navigation system, you can cycle through a few views by pressing the red directional. Also, while you have a destination programmed/active, you can depress the small "VIEW" icon at the top right and that will cycle through a few more layout changes as well. I use the one with the upcoming turns listed on the right side. I happen to think that the nav is beautiful. At least in comparison to the Garmin and TomTom units that I have used in my other cars. Particularly if you are somewhere that can use the 3D buildings features (like in Washington, DC). While I'm talking about DC, which I have found in the past to be akin to the Bermuda Triangle as far as not getting lost, even with a GPS. I had a trip into NW DC last week from Silver Spring, MD. There was a major accident on route 50 and I (with fingers crossed) changed the nav to reroute automatically around traffic. For the very first time in my life I did not get lost going through DC. Even the round abouts were clearly marked on the map and the nav lady was very accurate in her directions... "enter the traffic circle. take the 23rd exit and clinch your butt cheeks because nobody else can drive around here either." Ok, well not quite, but she was very precise and didn't get me lost. ::cheers:: to the nav lady. :rockon:

Edited by Ridbidge

In regards to the remote start, at least in my neighborhood, you want to make sure your doors are LOCKED before the car starts up with nobody around.... may not be there when you get out to it.

In regards to the navigation system, you can cycle through a few views by pressing the red directional. Also, while you have a destination programmed/active, you can depress the small "VIEW" icon at the top right and that will cycle through a few more layout changes as well. I use the one with the upcoming turns listed on the right side. I happen to think that the nav is beautiful. At least in comparison to the Garmin and TomTom units that I have used in my other cars. Particularly if you are somewhere that can use the 3D buildings features (like in Washington, DC). While I'm talking about DC, which I have found in the past to be akin to the Bermuda Triangle as far as not getting lost, even with a GPS. I had a trip into NW DC last week from Silver Spring, MD. There was a major accident on route 50 and I (with fingers crossed) changed the nav to reroute automatically around traffic. For the very first time in my life I did not get lost going through DC. Even the round abouts were clearly marked on the map and the nav lady was very accurate in her directions... "enter the traffic circle. take the 23rd exit and clinch your butt cheeks because nobody else can drive around here either." Ok, well not quite, but she was very precise and didn't get me lost. ::cheers:: to the nav lady. :rockon:

Love your post. I just got back from two weeks in DC & Fairfax and I know exactly what you are talking about. It is not an easy city to get around in. I shudder to think what it would be like for strangers without a GPS. I have always used the higher end Garmins and I am not yet familiar with the Edge Nav System. I was told in Canada we can't even select a destination in Google Maps and have it downloaded to the Ford Nav. System. So I think I will always have my Garmin close by.