strange whine from under the hood. Any ideas??

short4787

So I am the proud new owner of a 2011 Edge Sport and love it! Have a question though. Last night after a 30 minute drive home from work, I pulled into my garage and turned off the Edge. I immediately heard from what I thought was under the hood a strange whine. I waited for a couple of minutes but it didn't go away. I turned the car on and then off and it and it went away.. Any ideas of what it could be??

So I am the proud new owner of a 2011 Edge Sport and love it! Have a question though. Last night after a 30 minute drive home from work, I pulled into my garage and turned off the Edge. I immediately heard from what I thought was under the hood a strange whine. I waited for a couple of minutes but it didn't go away. I turned the car on and then off and it and it went away.. Any ideas of what it could be??

Could be the cooling fan continuing to run for a few minutes.

I have an '11 Edge Sort and I have the same sound. It's not quite a mechanical whine but to me seems to be an electronic high-pitched noise of some sort. My father has an '09 Explorer and it makes a similar noise. Might be normal but I'm not sure. Only have 3600 miles and no sign of trouble so far.

- Jason

• 1 month later...

I have seen this twice on my new Edge Sport in the last two weeks. Once, I waited and the sound stopped after a couple of minutes. The first time it happened I thought I needed to restart the engine and turn off to make the problem go away. I think there is a time out feature for whatever it is.

Is it the same sound when you turn on accessory mode? I get this as well. I asked the dealer service adviser about it and he told me its just some "modules" getting power. I don't think its a big deal, but I'm going to keep an ear on it. Mine rarely stays on, but when it has, its off in less then 5 min.