Right rear wheel bearing.......again !

ThinLine

I had the right rear wheel bearing go out @ 16,900 and the hub assembly was replaced at that time with no issues. Here we are @ 48,000 and the right rear wheel bearing is going bad again. Did some research and found a TSB for this issue because I suspected something else was causing this bearing failure. The TSB is 10-2-9 and ford states to have the trailing arm knuckles replaced along with the hub assembly. The techs should have inspected the wear pattern on the first trashed bearing and determined that something caused the wear pattern on the bearing races. It was like pulling teeth getting the service advisor to acknowledge the TSB and to get the correct parts ordered. This TSB applies to Edges built before mid april of 2008.....but there are reports of bad wheel bearings on 2007-2010. There was an apparent badly machined support knuckles which is where the hub assembly bolts to, that is causing the bearing to sit at an angle causing it to wear out. This issue can apparently cause uneven tire wear or cupping of the tires. Hope this helps all who have this issue. BTW, Ford said that this job would cost $600 to replace those parts on one side. I also asked that since this is a TSB and this has been replaced for a second time, what would happen if the bearing goes again when the warranty runs out and he said. "Your on your own at that point"

I assume you mean that this is covered under the 5 / 60,000 warranty?

I have an 08 with just over 56k miles.

I believe I have the same issue. Do you have a link to the TSB that I could bring to my dealership.

Thanks in advance!

Update......It seems that Ford wants to replace the trailing arm as well. The trailing arm, trailing arm knuckle and hub assembly are all being replaced. Thank God this is covered under warranty because the price tag is at $1200 now !

you certainly fall into the category of having this repaired under warranty. My service advisor was just going to replace the bearing meaning that the bearing would go out again later. I referenced the TSB # and service advisor didn't want to listen. I had to make it seem that it was his idea to get him to actually search the oasis database. Just reference the TSB # and make sure the knuckle or support bracket as some call it gets replaced along with the new hub assembly.

you certainly fall into the category of having this repaired under warranty. My service advisor was just going to replace the bearing meaning that the bearing would go out again later. I referenced the TSB # and service advisor didn't want to listen. I had to make it seem that it was his idea to get him to actually search the oasis database. Just reference the TSB # and make sure the knuckle or support bracket as some call it gets replaced along with the new hub assembly.

Thanks VERY much for the quick reply.

I describe the noise as a humming or buzzing. Sitting in the driver's seat, it sounds like it's coming from the rear driver's side. However, if I move my head towards the center of the vehicle, it sounds like it's both sides.

My noise actually starts at very low MPH, but the noise correlates to the wheel RPM and not the exhaust (when I rev the engine, the noise doesn't get louder)

I'll call for an appointment and reference the TSB. I've already had the cam-shaft sensor issue. Just hoping this doesn't turn out to be a long term issue since I'm within 3500 miles of my warranty running out!

I also had the cam shaft position sensor replaced. I wouldn't rule out both bearings going bad. I just got my Edge back and they replaced the hub assembly part # 7T4Z*1104*C and the link part # 9T4Z*5A972*D. They also did a 4 wheel alignment after the parts were installed. This was all covered under warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone post the entire text for TSB 10-2-9? Googling it returns a couple of sites that either require a registration or a fee(?!?)

I just got my Edge back this past Saturday. The invoice said they replaced the rear driver's side wheel bearing.

If the TSB states that more needed to be done, I'd like to have something with me to "prove" to the dealership that they didn't do enough.

When I picked up the vehicle, the service dept guy said he didn't think there was a TSB for the bearings. Ironically, I gave them all of the info, including the TSB number, when I dropped the vehicle off.

Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi All, I'm now experiencing the dreaded "defective wheel bearing" issue with my 2008 Ford Edge. The left rear wheel bearing blew out at ~42K miles resulting in the typical "growl" that has been well described on this forum. I was surprised as I've never had issues with wheel bearings on any of my previous cars. I (naively) thought that this was simply a fluke/bad luck and took my edge to a certified Ford mechanic. Tthey happily replaced the wheel bearing under the power train warranty (5yr/60K), so at that point I was still very "pro" Ford and went happily on my way. More recently, however, I started hearing the same sound now coming from the right rear of the car and got concerned. I took it back to the Ford mechanic and sure enough it was confirmed that this also was a blown wheel bearing. This seemed fishy to me so I started researching this and came across TSB# 10-2-9 (this is the number the Ford people need to look up the TSB; this TSB has various numbers associated with it, but you need to state "10-2-9"). In typical fashion, the repair department didn't believe me when I mentioned a TSB and only acknowledged it after I brought them in a printed out summary report of the TSB with associated number. So now they agree that there is a TSB, but are trying to claim that while the wheel bearings are covered under the power train warranty that the trailing arm knuckle assembly is not covered and that I'll have to pay for that myself. I have completely disputed this claim and am currently involved in trying to get them to cover this as they should (my car is sitting in their shop as I type this waiting for this issue to be resolved). Can anyone on this forum point to documentation that specifically states that the trailing arm knuckle assembly is covered under the power train warranty?

I'm also trying to get them to retroactively replace that knuckle assembly on the first (left rear) wheel bearing that blew out at 42K as the TSB specifically states "failure to install a new rear suspension trailing arm/knuckle assembly when installing a new rear bearing hub assembly will result in premature bearing noise/wear".

I wished Ford would do the right thing and put out a general recall on the knuckle assembly/wheel bearing since this is an obvious defect (based on this forum and numberous other posting on the internet). But at least I want them to do the minimal right thing and replace this for both sides of my car under the warranty.

Any help this forum can provide would be great....thanks!

Hi All, I'm now experiencing the dreaded "defective wheel bearing" issue with my 2008 Ford Edge. The left rear wheel bearing blew out at ~42K miles resulting in the typical "growl" that has been well described on this forum. I was surprised as I've never had issues with wheel bearings on any of my previous cars. I (naively) thought that this was simply a fluke/bad luck and took my edge to a certified Ford mechanic. Tthey happily replaced the wheel bearing under the power train warranty (5yr/60K), so at that point I was still very "pro" Ford and went happily on my way. More recently, however, I started hearing the same sound now coming from the right rear of the car and got concerned. I took it back to the Ford mechanic and sure enough it was confirmed that this also was a blown wheel bearing. This seemed fishy to me so I started researching this and came across TSB# 10-2-9 (this is the number the Ford people need to look up the TSB; this TSB has various numbers associated with it, but you need to state "10-2-9"). In typical fashion, the repair department didn't believe me when I mentioned a TSB and only acknowledged it after I brought them in a printed out summary report of the TSB with associated number. So now they agree that there is a TSB, but are trying to claim that while the wheel bearings are covered under the power train warranty that the trailing arm knuckle assembly is not covered and that I'll have to pay for that myself. I have completely disputed this claim and am currently involved in trying to get them to cover this as they should (my car is sitting in their shop as I type this waiting for this issue to be resolved). Can anyone on this forum point to documentation that specifically states that the trailing arm knuckle assembly is covered under the power train warranty?

I'm also trying to get them to retroactively replace that knuckle assembly on the first (left rear) wheel bearing that blew out at 42K as the TSB specifically states "failure to install a new rear suspension trailing arm/knuckle assembly when installing a new rear bearing hub assembly will result in premature bearing noise/wear".

I wished Ford would do the right thing and put out a general recall on the knuckle assembly/wheel bearing since this is an obvious defect (based on this forum and numberous other posting on the internet). But at least I want them to do the minimal right thing and replace this for both sides of my car under the warranty.

Any help this forum can provide would be great....thanks!

It's not that the trailing arm knuckle assembly is covered by the warranty - it's not. The issue is that the FIX for the wheel bearing failure that IS under warranty is to replace the trailing arm knuckle assembly per the TSB. Have you tried contacting Ford directly? Also - make sure the dealership actually asks Ford if it's covered due to the TSB. Sounds like they didn't even ask and were just making assumptions.

It's not that the trailing arm knuckle assembly is covered by the warranty - it's not. The issue is that the FIX for the wheel bearing failure that IS under warranty is to replace the trailing arm knuckle assembly per the TSB. Have you tried contacting Ford directly? Also - make sure the dealership actually asks Ford if it's covered due to the TSB. Sounds like they didn't even ask and were just making assumptions.

Thanks for the reply! I guess at issue is what sort of weight the TSB has in terms of getting FORD to cover all pieces specified in the TSB. The repair department is claiming that the wheel bearing is covered, and agrees that the knuckle assembly needs replacing, but claims that the payment for the knuckle assembly is on me since this is not covered under the power train warranty. I'm claiming that since this is specified as the reason for the wheel bearing blowing out and is specifically stated as needing replacement under the TSB that this should be covered by Ford. They are currently contacting FORD directly to try and resolve this disagreement.

I'll post the outcome of my situation on this forum in the next couple of days.

One quick question that I also want to put out to this forum regarding the rear wheel bearing issue with Edges (TSB 10-2-9). Will replacing the "trailing arm knuckle assembly" along with the wheel bearing completely eliminate this issue, or will this be a recurring issue for Edge owners regardless of what they do in terms of repair?

One quick question that I also want to put out to this forum regarding the rear wheel bearing issue with Edges (TSB 10-2-9). Will replacing the "trailing arm knuckle assembly" along with the wheel bearing completely eliminate this issue, or will this be a recurring issue for Edge owners regardless of what they do in terms of repair?

Replacing the trailing arm knuckle assembly will completely fix the problem.

I think technically the warranty only has to cover the failed part, not the root cause, but I would expect Ford to cover it in this case because of the TSB and the known cause. You could do a search to see if other Edge owners have gotten theirs covered - I don't remember. But make sure you hear it from Ford and not just the dealer. Sometimes they don't ask Ford the right question.

Replacing the trailing arm knuckle assembly will completely fix the problem.

I think technically the warranty only has to cover the failed part, not the root cause, but I would expect Ford to cover it in this case because of the TSB and the known cause. You could do a search to see if other Edge owners have gotten theirs covered - I don't remember. But make sure you hear it from Ford and not just the dealer. Sometimes they don't ask Ford the right question.

Would love to hear from other Edge owners that experienced this situation while their car was still under power train warranty.....did you get the trailing arm assembly AND wheel bearings replaced due to this TSB, or did you have to pay for the trailing arm assembly out of pocket?

Would love to hear from other Edge owners that experienced this situation while their car was still under power train warranty.....did you get the trailing arm assembly AND wheel bearings replaced due to this TSB, or did you have to pay for the trailing arm assembly out of pocket?

Ping Rob (FordGuru) - he's a service guy and he should know.