Directional blinker/Rain sensitive wipers questions

drevv

I’ve had my EDGE for almost a month now and love absolutely everything about the truck. I live in the Northeast and I’m glad that I got it when I did considering all that snow we got this winter. Its amazing handling in the snow, MFT and a comfortable ride are the most impressive features to me so far, and makes this investment worthwhile, especially coming off a sporty import (Acura TL). However, there are still few things that are still puzzling to me. First and foremost is the directional blinker; I still can’t get used to the fact that it doesn’t “lock in place” like on all other vehicles. Sometimes I find myself standing on the light while making a turn and i have to push it down several times, since it seems to stop blinking after just a few seconds. I just don’t understand the concept behind it. Is there some advantage of this feature that I’m not taking advantage of, other than some people would forget to cancel their blinkers after making a turn (which I never had a problem with on any of my previous cars) and drive for miles with their direction signal on? To me it seems to be more of a nuisance and offers no convenience. Am I missing something?

Secondly, I got BLISS package, which supposed to have rain sensitive wipers according to the drivers manual. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong, but it seems to just work all the time at the same intensity regardless of amount of perspiration on my windshield. I initially thought it was supposed to automatically start working once it scenes any moisture on the windshield and adjust sensitivity accordingly. However, according to the manual you have to leave it on an any speed setting and it supposed to automatically adjust the sensitivity, but it just seems to work at the same level I initially set it on (even if there’s no rain/snow it keeps working if I leave it on). Because of a snowy winter I wasn’t able to really test it in the rain conditions, since it seems like we get a foot of snow every week, and virtually no rain. I’m hoping that its just isn’t very "snow friendly" system and was designed for rain conditions, and as we transition into more rain intensive Spring season it will begin working as advertised. Or am I missing something here again?

Edited by drevv

Sometimes I find myself standing on the light while making a turn and i have to push it down several times, since it seems to stop blinking after just a few seconds. I just don’t understand the concept behind it. Am I missing something?

You missed reading the owner's manual which explains how it works. You move it to the first stop position and release and it blinks a few times and stops. This is for lane changes. Bump and go. If you're actually turning you move it all the way past the first stop and release and it works just like the traditional turn signals. You're just not pushing it far enough.

Secondly, I got BLISS package, which supposed to have rain sensitive wipers according to the drivers manual. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong, but it seems to just work all the time at the same intensity regardless of amount of perspiration on my windshield. I initially thought it was supposed to automatically start working once it scenes any moisture on the windshield and adjust sensitivity accordingly. However, according to the manual you have to leave it on an any speed setting and it supposed to automatically adjust the sensitivity, but it just seems to work at the same level I initially set it on (even if there’s no rain/snow it keeps working if I leave it on). Because of a snowy winter I wasn’t able to really test it in the rain conditions, since it seems like we get a foot of snow every week, and virtually no rain. I’m hoping that its just isn’t very "snow friendly" system and was designed for rain conditions, and as we transition into more rain intensive Spring season it will begin working as advertised. Or am I missing something here again?

I don't think they'll work the same with snow. It uses a sensor behind the rear view mirror to judge the amount of moisture. Wait for actual rain then see how they perform.

You missed reading the owner's manual which explains how it works. You move it to the first stop position and release and it blinks a few times and stops. This is for lane changes. Bump and go. If you're actually turning you move it all the way past the first stop and release and it works just like the traditional turn signals. You're just not pushing it far enough.

I don't think they'll work the same with snow. It uses a sensor behind the rear view mirror to judge the amount of moisture. Wait for actual rain then see how they perform.

That's great, i can't wait to get out there and try it! i just didn't think i needed to go the the manual for turn signals, i thought i had it covered in driver's ed :)

Simply didn't anticipate Ford engineer's desire to revolutionize blinker concept :) Thanks for your explanation.

That's what i figured, i guess we'll just have to wait for the monsoon season.

Edited by drevv

Yup, a lot of cars now feature the new turn signals for lane changes. Just tapp and the blinker blinks three times for a lane change, but since we both live in Mass, probably a wasted option. Why signal your intent to change lanes. All kidding aside, I do use the feature and broadcast my intent to others.

Rain sensing wipers seem to work differently from the rain sense feature on my departed Vovlvo. The Volvo, I pushed the button and the wipers only wiped when a set amount of mositure gathered on the windshield. The wipers changed speed based upon the water hitting the windshiled. The Edge, I've moved the wiper to the first position and it's varied it's time for a wipe.

I think you're right, once we finally see some rain we'll see the wipers work differently.