2011 Ford Edge VS. Upcoming 2012 Model

Dreamss

Ok,

Based on the number of views on my posting, everyone must know about both my 4" display's dying out on me with no real fix until the 2nd quarter of 2011.

Along with that issue, many of us have a sluggish MyTouch, crashing screens, software update problems, aren't happy with the location of the hazard button, and a few quirks that seem to "bother" people, wind noise and so much more.

What bothers me is that the initial MyTouch for all the early adopters was obviously flawed with many issues, then some of us had the body control module replaced (me included), then the 2.4 update (like me), now the 4" screens seem to be crapping out (mine is dead) and I also have the "wind noise" issue and mytouch is slower than I’d like.

When I paid the almost 50k for a new truck, after all that I have gone through so far, it no longer feels "new" to me, it also doesn't seem ready yet. I feel like I bought an experimental car and I was the guinea pig. I wanted to wait for the second model year but I couldn't wait any longer, it was either the Edge or another company and I took the Edge.

Based on a post I read from someone who drove the 2011 Explorer (While his 2011 Edge was being updated to V2.4)and they really appreciated the location of the USB slot, a few other keys, and also mentioned that the MyTouch seemed fairly quick, that prompted me to post this thread....

What do you think we can expect to see in the 2012 Model of the Ford Edge? Do you think that within a year they can find and fix all the bugs?

Since my car came with the V1.8 and was then upgraded to V2.4, do you think all 2012's will be built off the start with V2.4 (or the last release at that given time) or do you think they will go with a new design to help with the bugs and speed? e.g. a different platform? Could all 2011 models be upgraded to what the 2012 has should they decide to change it?

Do you think they will change the APIM's to better ones?

Would they release a 2012 if they knew that there were still bugs with the system and didn't have the fixes yet in order to reduce returns on the 2012 models?

Do you foresee any changes to the body, mirrors, interior, dash, wind noise fix etc...?

What do they usually "re-tool" when building the new model years?

I'm asking because I spoke to my dealer and expressed my concerns with the 2011 and we may work out something for me to upgrade to a 2012 (when it comes out) with a very small amount of money lost on the depreciation. I may have to give my car back now if I want to get a very high return on it, it currently has under 4000 km's and still brand new, or I can wait for the 2012's to come out, but it will have closer to 10,000 kms and get less for it.

If I dump it now, I would be without a car for a few months (possibly) but I am working on taking over a friend's lease on their truck (VW) for the remainder of the year until the 2012's are out so I could have wheels.

Some people think I’m an idiot to reconsider the Edge again, but I honestly love the car, the drive, the look and everything about it, I can't see myself driving anything else. I'm sure the system will be perfect eventually, but I'm just not convinced that this year’s model is for me even if they fix all the bugs I won’t be fully satisfied with my purchase as it won’t even feel perfect to me as I needed so many fixes to get it there, not to mention the wind noise driving me nuts.

I should have an answer by tomorrow on the buyback value of my 2011 Edge if I give it in right now, this dealer has tons of clients looking for 2011's who want to leave with one tomorrow but as they are still 6 - 10 weeks lead time, some people don't want to wait that long and if they can get a virtually new car fully loaded like mine within 24 hours for cheaper than a brand new one ordered, he said he would move it really fast.

I never owned a brand new car, have no idea how a buy back works, or how a trade in works? Not sure how much you stand to lose if you return a 2011 for a 2012 or simply sell it back to the dealer in the same year? If I sell it and re-buy in 9 months, I would think I would lose more money than doing a trade in and paying the difference...something to do with the taxes paid on the car I heard? The dealer told me he's had people do a trade-in in the same year and only loose couple of grand, I'm fine with that if they dramatically improve the car and have to Green light to let it go now, just trying to figure out in my head if it would even worth it or which way I should go between selling it now or waiting to do a trade in around September?

Again, not hating on the car, that is why I want another Ford Edge, if I truly hated this car, I would count my losses and never look back. I just want one that i feel is perfect from the first day i bought it, not one needing constant fixes and updates to get there.

Edited by Dreamss

There won't be anything different about the 2012s. Ford is continuously improving the product, they don't sit around and wait for a model year change. When a fix is ready, they put it in production. The 2011 Explorer has exactly the same MyFordTouch system as the Edge and the 2012 Edge will have exactly the same system as the 2011. All the software will be update-able in the 2011 so there's not much point in trading up to a 2012.

• Like 1

Ok,

Based on the number of views on my posting, everyone must know about both my 4" display's dying out on me with no real fix until the 2nd quarter of 2011.

Along with that issue, many of us have a sluggish MyTouch, crashing screens, software update problems, aren't happy with the location of the hazard button, and a few quirks that seem to "bother" people, wind noise and so much more.

What bothers me is that the initial MyTouch for all the early adopters was obviously flawed with many issues, then some of us had the body control module replaced (me included), then the 2.4 update (like me), now the 4" screens seem to be crapping out (mine is dead) and I also have the "wind noise" issue and mytouch is slower than I’d like.

When I paid the almost 50k for a new truck, after all that I have gone through so far, it no longer feels "new" to me, it also doesn't seem ready yet. I feel like I bought an experimental car and I was the guinea pig. I wanted to wait for the second model year but I couldn't wait any longer, it was either the Edge or another company and I took the Edge.

Based on a post I read from someone who drove the 2011 Explorer (While his 2011 Edge was being updated to V2.4)and they really appreciated the location of the USB slot, a few other keys, and also mentioned that the MyTouch seemed fairly quick, that prompted me to post this thread....

What do you think we can expect to see in the 2012 Model of the Ford Edge? Do you think that within a year they can find and fix all the bugs?

Since my car came with the V1.8 and was then upgraded to V2.4, do you think all 2012's will be built off the start with V2.4 (or the last release at that given time) or do you think they will go with a new design to help with the bugs and speed? e.g. a different platform? Could all 2011 models be upgraded to what the 2012 has should they decide to change it?

Do you think they will change the APIM's to better ones?

Would they release a 2012 if they knew that there were still bugs with the system and didn't have the fixes yet in order to reduce returns on the 2012 models?

Do you foresee any changes to the body, mirrors, interior, dash, wind noise fix etc...?

What do they usually "re-tool" when building the new model years?

I'm asking because I spoke to my dealer and expressed my concerns with the 2011 and we may work out something for me to upgrade to a 2012 (when it comes out) with a very small amount of money lost on the depreciation. I may have to give my car back now if I want to get a very high return on it, it currently has under 4000 km's and still brand new, or I can wait for the 2012's to come out, but it will have closer to 10,000 kms and get less for it.

If I dump it now, I would be without a car for a few months (possibly) but I am working on taking over a friend's lease on their truck (VW) for the remainder of the year until the 2012's are out so I could have wheels.

Some people think I’m an idiot to reconsider the Edge again, but I honestly love the car, the drive, the look and everything about it, I can't see myself driving anything else. I'm sure the system will be perfect eventually, but I'm just not convinced that this year’s model is for me even if they fix all the bugs I won’t be fully satisfied with my purchase as it won’t even feel perfect to me as I needed so many fixes to get it there, not to mention the wind noise driving me nuts.

I should have an answer by tomorrow on the buyback value of my 2011 Edge if I give it in right now, this dealer has tons of clients looking for 2011's who want to leave with one tomorrow but as they are still 6 - 10 weeks lead time, some people don't want to wait that long and if they can get a virtually new car fully loaded like mine within 24 hours for cheaper than a brand new one ordered, he said he would move it really fast.

I never owned a brand new car, have no idea how a buy back works, or how a trade in works? Not sure how much you stand to lose if you return a 2011 for a 2012 or simply sell it back to the dealer in the same year? If I sell it and re-buy in 9 months, I would think I would lose more money than doing a trade in and paying the difference...something to do with the taxes paid on the car I heard? The dealer told me he's had people do a trade-in in the same year and only loose couple of grand, I'm fine with that if they dramatically improve the car and have to Green light to let it go now, just trying to figure out in my head if it would even worth it or which way I should go between selling it now or waiting to do a trade in around September?

Again, not hating on the car, that is why I want another Ford Edge, if I truly hated this car, I would count my losses and never look back. I just want one that i feel is perfect from the first day i bought it, not one needing constant fixes and updates to get there.

sounds like you are chasing the dragon