AWD "KLUNK"

wilsons66604

Driving down I70 today I slowed to 30 to pass through the toll gate. When I depressed the accelerator to get back up to speed, I heard and felt a KLUNK from the rear end.

Has anyone else heard this on their AWD? Will I be watching my rear end bounce down the road in my rear-view mirror soon?

While I'm on the drive train subject...

At times I've snapped my passengers necks back when the Edge accelerated from a stop light like I was flooring it...I was actually being very careful to drive smoothly.

Having come from a Camry Hybrid, I checked my floor mats. the factory mats are still snapped in place. It acts as though FordTouch was controlling my throttle :doh:

At other times it's like acceleration was having a lunch break with my BT Audio. I try to make a quick lane change and you would have thought I threw a drag-chute out the tailgate (which opens on it's own)

Edited by wilsons66604

Driving down I70 today I slowed to 30 to pass through the toll gate. When I depressed the accelerator to get back up to speed, I heard and felt a KLUNK from the rear end.

Has anyone else heard this on their AWD? Will I be watching my rear end bounce down the road in my rear-view mirror soon?

While I'm on the drive train subject...

At times I've snapped my passengers necks back when the Edge accelerated from a stop light like I was flooring it...I was actually being very careful to drive smoothly.

Having come from a Camry Hybrid, I checked my floor mats. the factory mats are still snapped in place. It acts as though FordTouch was controlling my throttle :doh:

At other times it's like acceleration was having a lunch break with my BT Audio. I try to make a quick lane change and you would have thought I threw a drag-chute out the tailgate (which opens on it's own)

Hi Wilsons,

I've had the exact same thing happen a few times. It doesn't seem to ever happen during reasonably aggressive driving, its always just after slowing down or cruising at a lower speed. When you smoothly go to speed up...WHAM! The first time I had it in the shop, I brought this up. Being early in Dec, the first answer was they heard a big software update was coming and it may included updates for shifting. We all know this wasn't the case, but I haven't had it back in since. It has happened enough times now that I also know its not in the transmission. As you mentioned, it is in the rear end, I think it may have something to do with the bias from FWD and engaging AWD. Transfer case ??

I've also noticed the unpredictable throttle at times as well. It never responds well to putting your foot to the floor, but I haven't found any pattern to this yet, only too much gas = slow response. It doesn't explain why it seems extra peppy at at times. I want it like that all the time.

Hi Wilsons,

I've had the exact same thing happen a few times. It doesn't seem to ever happen during reasonably aggressive driving, its always just after slowing down or cruising at a lower speed. When you smoothly go to speed up...WHAM! The first time I had it in the shop, I brought this up. Being early in Dec, the first answer was they heard a big software update was coming and it may included updates for shifting. We all know this wasn't the case, but I haven't had it back in since. It has happened enough times now that I also know its not in the transmission. As you mentioned, it is in the rear end, I think it may have something to do with the bias from FWD and engaging AWD. Transfer case ??

I've also noticed the unpredictable throttle at times as well. It never responds well to putting your foot to the floor, but I haven't found any pattern to this yet, only too much gas = slow response. It doesn't explain why it seems extra peppy at at times. I want it like that all the time.

Somewhat comforting to know that it isn't just me.

I wonder if there will be a software update for the acceleration and AWD management.

In the meantime, I may get more familiar with the manual option while passing.

Somewhat comforting to know that it isn't just me.

I wonder if there will be a software update for the acceleration and AWD management.

In the meantime, I may get more familiar with the manual option while passing.

Yes, there's comfort in numbers! I posted a comment on this a few months back, but no really feedback. Now I know I'm not the only one. I'm not a big fan of the Manual on the SPORT. Its great fun having the paddles, but I want the shift on the stick as well. You can't use the paddles and shift though a turn like you can if its on the stick. They do work well for passing and just fun takeoffs. My old Rogue had both which was great! I'm up for my next service in a couple of weeks. I'll be bringing this up again at that point. I'll update this topic on what happens.

Edited by AXCL

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like this thread is speaking of the same issue I've noticed in my Edge.

There is a TSB out for it.

Based on the details for the TSB, this doesn't apply to us, only 2010's built on a certain date range. The description sounds similar, but I'm not lurching into intersections...yet!

I'm still going to point the TSB out to the dealership. Have you? Did you get anywhere with this yet. I'm going in this week for my second service and will be listing this and an MFT update as items as well.

I picked up my 2011 Sport AWD 2 weeks ago and had this happen once while driving home from the dealer with about 25 miles on the Edge. Came to a stop and started accelerating slowly, then felt and heard a violent bang. Kind of freaked me out, but everything seemed okay so I was hoping it was a one time thing. The next time it happened the Edge had about 400 miles on it and my wife was driving. She slowed down to go around another car and when she got back on the throttle it banged twice in a matter of seconds, almost like we got rear ended twice. It shook her up enough that she made me drive after that.

Took it to the dealership, they could not find any problem and they were not able to re-create the problem. After speaking with the mechanic, he told me that unless something comes up in the diagnostic codes or they can re-create the problem there really wasn't anything they could do. I'll just keep driving it and see if enough people have the same issue then ford may realize that there may be a problem. Really like this vehicle and am not too concerned yet because I still have another 3 years of warranty too go, but I hope they figure it out.

I picked up my 2011 Sport AWD 2 weeks ago and had this happen once while driving home from the dealer with about 25 miles on the Edge. Came to a stop and started accelerating slowly, then felt and heard a violent bang. Kind of freaked me out, but everything seemed okay so I was hoping it was a one time thing. The next time it happened the Edge had about 400 miles on it and my wife was driving. She slowed down to go around another car and when she got back on the throttle it banged twice in a matter of seconds, almost like we got rear ended twice. It shook her up enough that she made me drive after that.

Took it to the dealership, they could not find any problem and they were not able to re-create the problem. After speaking with the mechanic, he told me that unless something comes up in the diagnostic codes or they can re-create the problem there really wasn't anything they could do. I'll just keep driving it and see if enough people have the same issue then ford may realize that there may be a problem. Really like this vehicle and am not too concerned yet because I still have another 3 years of warranty too go, but I hope they figure it out.

I haven't been into dealership since I had the KLUNK but I plan on referring to the TSB from previous models when I discuss it with my service writer.

The 2-3 times it's happened to me, it's been when after a highway drive & I slow to go through a 20mph toll gate then accelerate.

It's the 6 speed transmission. I've experienced this with every Ford vehicle I've driven that has a 6 speed transmission. I usually experience it when slowing down and accelerating again. Never a "clunk" but definitely a jerk. At least with the lesser speed transmissions you couldn't feel the transmission shifting.

Edited by KLC

It's the 6 speed transmission. I've experienced this with every Ford vehicle I've driven that has a 6 speed transmission. I usually experience it when slowing down and accelerating again. Never a "clunk" but definitely a jerk. At least with the lesser speed transmissions you couldn't feel the transmission shifting.

This is in the rear end. Ive felt the transmission give a bump a few times. It's not the transmission.

The klunk happened again yesterday while going through toll gate and it actually scared my passengers. It's that bad.

Had my Sport in for service on Thursday and this was on the list. They knew exactly what I was talking about and told me it was bad programming for a solenoid. They put my computer back in "learning mode" and stated this should correct the issue. I don't have my work order with me, but it even stated that they could confirm by reviewing the programing that it was bad. Not sure if this solenoid is related to the PTU or Transmission. I'll pull my work order and if it has more details, I'll post them.

I have noticed a significant difference in my shifting, it is a lot faster. This may just be due to the "learning mode", but I'd assume it would have picked up enough data by now to settle in. I've done close 500KM since Thursday and no signs of the issue...yet.

One thing to note is based on KLC's comments "At least with the lesser speed transmissions you couldn't feel the transmission shifting." This was one of the first things, I noticed when leaving the dealership on Thursday. I wasn't feeling the shift points, they were smooth, before there was a shift lag and they were a lot more obvious. I just hope it lasts!

Had my Sport in for service on Thursday and this was on the list. They knew exactly what I was talking about and told me it was bad programming for a solenoid. They put my computer back in "learning mode" and stated this should correct the issue. I don't have my work order with me, but it even stated that they could confirm by reviewing the programing that it was bad. Not sure if this solenoid is related to the PTU or Transmission. I'll pull my work order and if it has more details, I'll post them.

I have noticed a significant difference in my shifting, it is a lot faster. This may just be due to the "learning mode", but I'd assume it would have picked up enough data by now to settle in. I've done close 500KM since Thursday and no signs of the issue...yet.

One thing to note is based on KLC's comments "At least with the lesser speed transmissions you couldn't feel the transmission shifting." This was one of the first things, I noticed when leaving the dealership on Thursday. I wasn't feeling the shift points, they were smooth, before there was a shift lag and they were a lot more obvious. I just hope it lasts!

This is good news! I'll schedule my service

This is good news! I'll schedule my service

Here is what my work order lists:

Cause: 17179 INCORRECT SOLENOID BODY STRATEGY DATA STORED IN PCM 7000F=1.5, 7000AZB=0.5 200 VERIFIED ERRATIC SHIFT WITH SCAN TOOL DURING MONITOR TEST. THERE ARE NO SSM/TSB IN OASIS FOR THIS MODEL. FOLLOWED PROCEDURE IN WSM DIAG BY SYMPTOM RTN 212. CLEARED SOLENOID BODY ADAPTIVE SHIFT TABLES. PERFORM ADAPTIVE SHIFT STRATEGY. WB(42)7Z369. 2.0HRS.

I'm up to about 1000KM now with a lot of heavy traffic and no invisible vehicles have hit me yet.

Good luck with your service!

Here is what my work order lists:

Cause: 17179 INCORRECT SOLENOID BODY STRATEGY DATA STORED IN PCM 7000F=1.5, 7000AZB=0.5 200 VERIFIED ERRATIC SHIFT WITH SCAN TOOL DURING MONITOR TEST. THERE ARE NO SSM/TSB IN OASIS FOR THIS MODEL. FOLLOWED PROCEDURE IN WSM DIAG BY SYMPTOM RTN 212. CLEARED SOLENOID BODY ADAPTIVE SHIFT TABLES. PERFORM ADAPTIVE SHIFT STRATEGY. WB(42)7Z369. 2.0HRS.

I'm up to about 1000KM now with a lot of heavy traffic and no invisible vehicles have hit me yet.

Good luck with your service!

Thanks! I printed this off and will bring it with me tomorrow.

I had my 2011 AWD Sport in last week to get the TSB addressed. WOW, wait until you get yours back - it's like a completely new car. Tons more speed - faster shifting - more aggressive!

Do you have a TSB number?

My dealer found no TSBs and my car had no stored codes. The tech did a 14 mile joy ride and found no problems...so nothing was done today (except the 2.7 update)

I had my 2011 AWD Sport in last week to get the TSB addressed. WOW, wait until you get yours back - it's like a completely new car. Tons more speed - faster shifting - more aggressive!

I second the TSB info. I have the exact same model, 11' Sport AWD and if my dealer missed a TSB that was supposed to be addressed, even if it was the same fix..."its" gonna hit the fan!

I believe there is a TSB for the 10' regarding this issue, perhaps this is what the dealer mentioned.

Can anyone here with OASIS access verify for us?

Do you have a TSB number?

My dealer found no TSBs and my car had no stored codes. The tech did a 14 mile joy ride and found no problems...so nothing was done today (except the 2.7 update)

Even with the instructions from AXCL the dealer could not do anything? Too bad, I was hoping to go back to my dealer with a copy and try again. I may just wait and see if someone post a TSB number.

Just thought I'd post an update that I've still not had any major "klunks", yet. My tranny has seem to have settled in and doesn't seem to be quite as smooth as it had been early on, but that may just be me getting used to it. I still find it much more responsive then it was before. Its almost a bit jumpy, it tends to stay in first/second a bit longer then before, especially at low speeds, so if I'm in traffic it keeps the RPMs a little higher and it'll take off like a rocket when I want it too, but its hard to inch up slowly without it powering forward. Its not a jerk, you can just tell it wants to go! It makes for a slightly rougher, yet more sporty ride. Hey I got the sport, so its what I signed up for. :rockon:

Sorry the service details didn't help you out Wilsons :censored:

Just thought I'd post an update that I've still not had any major "klunks", yet. My tranny has seem to have settled in and doesn't seem to be quite as smooth as it had been early on, but that may just be me getting used to it. I still find it much more responsive then it was before. Its almost a bit jumpy, it tends to stay in first/second a bit longer then before, especially at low speeds, so if I'm in traffic it keeps the RPMs a little higher and it'll take off like a rocket when I want it too, but its hard to inch up slowly without it powering forward. Its not a jerk, you can just tell it wants to go! It makes for a slightly rougher, yet more sporty ride. Hey I got the sport, so its what I signed up for. :rockon:

Sorry the service details didn't help you out Wilsons :censored:

I had my sync update. Since that time it shifts differently. Seems to lose power wehen shifing from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. Also I was trying to manual shift and I got the dreaded clunck. very scary, that cant be good. This is really annoying, even my wife is complaining. We drive very cautiously, but this is not fun.

The only real improvement is that it seems to downshift more aggressively, but overall this is a major problem. Not sure what to do and if the dealer will know how to fix it.

• 2 months later...

I also have had a "klunk" in the rear. I would think it is comming from the rear diff since it I have an 2011 Edge Limited AWD. it has only happened 3 times, and it has the feeling like the tires skip then catch. Currently have 12,000 miles.

No info from the dealer about it, but when i go in for my 15000 i will bring it up again.

• 4 months later...

2011 Edge Limited, and i have the same clunk...scared the XXXX out of me when it happend. Dealer advised that nothing is wrong. !@#$@#$@#. Also had something crazy happen. Pulled in the driveway, put the edge in park, shut if off and went in the house. Came out 5 min later and found the car in the street. Now i have the emergency brake on everytime its in park. its been at the dealer for 2 days. No fix as of yet. I wonder if they are related as they all started happening around the same time.

2011 Edge Limited, and i have the same clunk...scared the XXXX out of me when it happend. Dealer advised that nothing is wrong. !@#$@#$@#. Also had something crazy happen. Pulled in the driveway, put the edge in park, shut if off and went in the house. Came out 5 min later and found the car in the street. Now i have the emergency brake on everytime its in park. its been at the dealer for 2 days. No fix as of yet. I wonder if they are related as they all started happening around the same time.

The first time I complained about mine to the dealership, they didn't find anything wrong. The 2nd time, I took a print out of the TSB in with me. They ordered the parts, I came in to have the TSB applied. No more KLUNKS!

Edited by wilsons66604