Avoiding the '11 Edge and MyFord Touch..

dk0r

I have a Job #1 2011 Edge and while I love the vehicle I am far from fully satisfied with the MFT. Especially coming off the 2008 Edge which had Navigation. The 2008 Nav touch screen response was very snappy if not instant for most functions. Plus that system did many similar functions as the new MFT. I don't know if the root cause of the MFT slow response time is the result of poor code writing or slow processor speed (or both) but compared to what I was used to in the 2008 model the 2011 MFT is very frustrating at times. The touch sensitivity has a distinct lack of confidence when touching the controls. Sometimes I touch and nothing happens and other times it responds only after a 2-3 delay. That's no way to control a system. Also, sometimes I put it in Reverse right after I start and am ready to backup of the rear-view camera isn't ready to display. I have a wait a few more seconds for it to catch up or even have to move it to Park and back to get it to respond. Call me impatient but I don't want to wait to back up. BTW, I have ver 2.4.

As a side note, I also have a 2011 Explorer due to be delivered this week. It was loaded with MFT ver 2.7. I'm guessing based on the owner comments on the Ford Facebook page that I will have a similar experience as in the 2011 Edge. I really hope Ford can make some significant improvements on MFT performance.

I can kind of feel the originator's pain. Its a lot of money to pay for a car with some serious bugs. I have had my 2011 AWD for 5 months now and its a pretty nice car. However, the MFT although better, still has bugs even after the upgrade. I still have to get the tranny fixed as it does have the cluncks and does not shift correctly. Many folks having problems dont log on and share experiences, but judging from those that do, there are some serious flaws. Most new cars should not have this, so i would recommend holding off for another year.

All that said, this is still a very nice car and maybe after all these things are fixed, it will be fine. For the record..no wind noise and the ride is quiet, but the suspension really stiffens up in cold weather.

I can understand why some owners are satisfied. I am just not used to buying a new vehicle that sounds like a transmission is about to explode. So I will have to take it back untill they can fix that, then back again for yet another MFT update at some time. Hope that is all....keeping my fingers crossed

I can kind of feel the originator's pain. Its a lot of money to pay for a car with some serious bugs. I have had my 2011 AWD for 5 months now and its a pretty nice car. However, the MFT although better, still has bugs even after the upgrade. I still have to get the tranny fixed as it does have the cluncks and does not shift correctly. Many folks having problems dont log on and share experiences, but judging from those that do, there are some serious flaws. Most new cars should not have this, so i would recommend holding off for another year.

All that said, this is still a very nice car and maybe after all these things are fixed, it will be fine. For the record..no wind noise and the ride is quiet, but the suspension really stiffens up in cold weather.

I can understand why some owners are satisfied. I am just not used to buying a new vehicle that sounds like a transmission is about to explode. So I will have to take it back untill they can fix that, then back again for yet another MFT update at some time. Hope that is all....keeping my fingers crossed

WELL SAID!

sounds like my story...and I bet many others

How cold of weather? I didn't feel like mine did this winter, but since I have had more time driving it in cold weather than warm, maybe I haven't felt it loosen up. I do think I could use better winter tires, but the all weather handled pretty well, considering.

• 1 month later...

Can you tell me how to set up the my temp? Also you van seethe system to advanced and that helped me with the voice activation system. Also sitting down with my sales me to show me some tricks helped a lot. Yes people are having issues, but now most are fixed. There awesome bad eggs out there I know mine is one,butFord is replacing it because they stand behind their product. You take a leap of faith when you buy anything. My husband bought a new chevy truck to have them never fix it. The dealer said we wont touch it anymore,and no other dealer will either. Chevy wont do anything about it. So hats off to Ford for standing behind their product. As a customer that means a lot to me.

Can you tell me how to set up the my temp? Also you van seethe system to advanced and that helped me with the voice activation system. Also sitting down with my sales me to show me some tricks helped a lot. Yes people are having issues, but now most are fixed. There awesome bad eggs out there I know mine is one,butFord is replacing it because they stand behind their product. You take a leap of faith when you buy anything. My husband bought a new chevy truck to have them never fix it. The dealer said we wont touch it anymore,and no other dealer will either. Chevy wont do anything about it. So hats off to Ford for standing behind their product. As a customer that means a lot to me.

Select a temperature you like, then hold the MyTemp 'button' on-screen until it changes color.... maybe 3 seconds +/-?

One of the first 5 things i ordered when i got my Edge was a locking gas cap. It arrives tomorrow.

Oh geez. The lack of cap is a feature I really like. It does have a door down in the throat that is only opened when the two buttons on either side of the opening are depressed by a gas nozzle or the special funnel supplied with car.