Tire Pressure Monitor System

The Spy-Guy

Picked up my new Edge SEL Plus yeterday ( Carbon/Charcoal ) and have a question? In the manual on page 100 under system checks it says that item three in the sequence is tire pressure system. I do not see it. It goes from eng. temp#2 to oil pressure #4 Tire pressure is missing. Is it a mistake in the manual or is it broken? I do see the little tire logo on the dash when the key is first turned on. Any ideas out there. Thanks :reading:

Picked up my new Edge SEL Plus yeterday ( Carbon/Charcoal ) and have a question? In the manual on page 100 under system checks it says that item three in the sequence is tire pressure system. I do not see it. It goes from eng. temp#2 to oil pressure #4 Tire pressure is missing. Is it a mistake in the manual or is it broken? I do see the little tire logo on the dash when the key is first turned on. Any ideas out there. Thanks :reading:

We're taking ours in tomorrw for a few things (slow/stalling vista roof, rolling slightly in park) and this is one of them. Someone poseted that there is a FSA in OASIS that said some were delivered without this being enabled. It's a standard feature, so it is supposed to be on your Edge.

I'll post again when we get ours back. I figure were going to get a lot of "could not repeat custome concern" reports on our issues, but at least it'll be logged and when we're 10 miles out or warranty and it breaks, we'll have a leg to stand on.

Bryce

I called my dealer about the TPMS and a couple of other little things, I was given this reply "Only 90 vehicles left the plant with this problem", mine not being one of them. Now I am not sure if he meant 90 in total or 90 in Canada, also my previous car had the TPMS but it didnt show up in the check either, but it did come on when I lost pressure in one of my tires.

When I scroll through my options on the dash under check system, it DOES show up and tells me "tire preessure OK." I would question if it is missing or not.

Hmmmmm... well, we had ours at eth edealer today to look at this and some other issues. According to them, they called Ford and it shouldn't be showing up in teh Message Center, jsut the Idiot Light as someone else said somewhere. We looked at another Edge on the lot and it did not show up either. We're going to call Ford in the moring to see what the deal is withe the the owners manual and I guess that may be our final answer (unless they say it should show up).

BRyce

Lower the pressure in one of the tires and see if you get a warning.

Well.. Dealer #1 (the one we got the Edge from) said that it's not supposed to show up on the Message Center, and that they called ford about it. We called Ford the next day and they were little help except to tell us to call another dealer and see what they said. We called dealer #2 today (I've used them before... crappy sales but good service) and they also suggested that we let out pressure from the tire to see what it did, and if we got no light to bring it in to them and they'd look at it.

So, this evening when I got home, I had my wife sit in the Edge with the motor running as I let air out of the tire and would sometimes check to see where I was at. my guage quit reading below 10psi, but I went from 35psi to below 10psi and never got a light on the dash or a message in the message center.

Right now, I'm pretty much certain that it's not working on our Edge. My Wife's going to try to get in at dealer #2 this week to see if they can verify that it's working or not.

If that didn't trip it, then I'm not sure what would have. I saw some posts that it would take 20 minutes before it would set it off.. if that true, then TPMS is just about worthless. a hell of a lot could happen in 20 minutes fo running a tire under inflated.

Bryce

Edited by Bryce

OK... I'm beginning to think that TPMS is a joke and we're better off kicking the tires to see if they have air than relying on this system to help any.

I found this TPMS Info at TireIndustry.org

NHTSA published the third attempt at a TPMS Final Rule on Thursday, April 7, 2005. The news isn’t good. NHTSA did not take TIA comments into account on behalf of the tire industry. The trigger threshold is still 25% underinflation. AND if that’s not bad enough, NHTSA moved backwards on the timing of the trigger. Originally the dashboard indicator had to light up within 10 minutes of sensing an underinflated tire. In this latest version of the final rule, the telltale doesn’t have to illuminate for 20 minutes. The phase-in has changed slightly: 20% of all new cars must comply by Sept. 1 of 2005, 70% by Sept. 1, 2006 and 100% by Sept.1 of 2007. NHTSA did not address RMA’s petion on reserve inflation pressure although they indicated they will in a separate rulemaking. Also, NHTSA would like TPMSs to work after tires and/or wheels are replaced. There will be a separate dashboard light indicating that the TPMS sensor is not working if a tire/wheel combination has been placed on the vehicle that renders the system inoperable.

So... you have to loose more than 25% of the tires pressure, drive for 20 minutes and also go between 30 and 60mph for that 20 minutes. (found by reading the entire ruling). So, the Government has made some pretty loose rules for the Manufacturers to give us a "feel good" system that really wouldn't do much.

I did go back and let our Edge sit with the ignition on (engine off) and less than 10psi in a tire and got no results. Since the service writer at dealer #2 said to bring it in, we will and let them check on it. Maybe it's working (as designed) and maybe it's not, and they offered to look, so I'll let them.

Bryce

Ok!!! Took the edge back to Ford with 90 miles on it. They hooked it up and could not fiqure out how to make the system check show tire preasure. They checked to see if it was working and their computer said all was ok. ( I will let some air out to confirm that this weekend ) The tech walked around the lot and tried several other Edges and same result, none showed up in the system check. They are getting in touch with Ford tech services and will call me when they have an answer. On the brighter side and another subject they activated my DLR's ( Day Time Running Lights ) at no cost and they work great. Another insurance deduction. :shades:

Ok!!! Took the edge back to Ford with 90 miles on it. They hooked it up and could not fiqure out how to make the system check show tire preasure. They checked to see if it was working and their computer said all was ok. ( I will let some air out to confirm that this weekend ) The tech walked around the lot and tried several other Edges and same result, none showed up in the system check. They are getting in touch with Ford tech services and will call me when they have an answer. On the brighter side and another subject they activated my DLR's ( Day Time Running Lights ) at no cost and they work great. Another insurance deduction. :shades:

Well.. ours is at Dealer #2 as we speak... we talked to the service manager their and they said that what we did should have been more than enough to trip the idiot light.... I'd be happy if they could just tell me that it was working (by verifying it with a computer test), but Dealer #1 couldn't/wouldn't do test it.

If it isn't working as designed, I'm more confident that this dealer's service department can make it work... if it is working, I go back to my feeling that it's no more than a "fell good" item that I can't trust.

Bryce

OK.. here's my final post on the subject.. we got our answer today and I'm for the most part satisfied.

first thing is that we've been getting old manuals. If you look at the manual at this link

Ford Edge Owners Manual

on page 102, you'll see that TPMS has indeed been removed from the System Check on the Message Center. the order it should display is thus...

1. DOORS CLOSED

2. ENGINE TEMPERATURE

3. OIL PRESSURE

4. BRAKE FLUID LEVEL

5. WASHER FLUID LEVEL

6. FUEL LEVEL

7. DISTANCE TO EMPTY

This corresponds to what ours does display.

Now as to how it works... the tech dropped out 10lbs of air in out tires and then didn't see anything... he asked around the shop and confirmed that it needed to be rolling to work. A quick spin around the lot (2/10 of a mile maybe) was enough to trip the light on the dash.

I wish I had seen that manual earlier and saved myself some trouble. I had been looking at teh one that came with our Edge and the one at MyFordEdge.com and both are out of date.

Bryce

OK.. here's my final post on the subject.. we got our answer today and I'm for the most part satisfied.

first thing is that we've been getting old manuals. If you look at the manual at this link

Ford Edge Owners Manual

on page 102, you'll see that TPMS has indeed been removed from the System Check on the Message Center. the order it should display is thus...

1. DOORS CLOSED

2. ENGINE TEMPERATURE

3. OIL PRESSURE

4. BRAKE FLUID LEVEL

5. WASHER FLUID LEVEL

6. FUEL LEVEL

7. DISTANCE TO EMPTY

This corresponds to what ours does display.

Now as to how it works... the tech dropped out 10lbs of air in out tires and then didn't see anything... he asked around the shop and confirmed that it needed to be rolling to work. A quick spin around the lot (2/10 of a mile maybe) was enough to trip the light on the dash.

I wish I had seen that manual earlier and saved myself some trouble. I had been looking at teh one that came with our Edge and the one at MyFordEdge.com and both are out of date.

Bryce

I'm impressed that someone actually read the owner's manual! Bravo!