Brakes Grinding??

zenlakin

My wife has a 2007 MKX that started making a grinding sound from the brakes. It was getting annoying so my wife took it to one of the local service shops near our home and they said that the rotors and pads needed to be replaced in the front. So we had them change them out and shortly after the repairs my wife began to hear and feel the grinding again in the brakes. We took it in again and they said that my wife was braking too hard and that it was bending the rotors!! So they replaced the rotors and the pads one more time under warranty and I drove the vehicle for about a week and made EXTRA sure that I was never braking hard and after about a week the grinding is back!! I have no idea what to do other than look at replacing the rotors and pads myself with some higher quality parts possibly?? I was looking at getting some Brembo rotors and green stuff pads as I have heard those are excellent quality and people have been having good luck with that setup. Can anyone comment on my issue and if they know of a valid resolution? Additionally, if I am to replace the rotors and pads myself, does anyone have any installation instructions that I could look over as this would be the first time I have done anything like this. Thanks in advance!!

Man I would like to see anybody or any breaking system that was so strong it would bend the rotors! BS is what they just fed you.

Your service center used inferior rotors, big issue when not using stock or top end quality top end aftermarket parts.

There is no reason for you to keep paying or having to purchase an upgraded brake parts. They installed junk so they should fix it for free. They will learn a lesson by selling junk after they keep replacing your parts under warranty.

Tell them if they don't permanently fix the issue you will consult a Lawyer.

The edge brake system transmits the grinding sound thru the suspension,this has been discussed many times,do a search,after sitting a day or so this happens and goes away after a few stops,my 2010 Limited has 24,000 miles is in need of a front rotor because of slight pulsation,the choice was Motorcrap $65. or centric for $ 84,I am leaning toward the latter,Marty

Edited by Depiry

The edge brake system transmits the grinding sound thru the suspension,this has been discussed many times,do a search,after sitting a day or so this happens and goes away after a few stops,my 2010 Limited has 24,000 miles is in need of a front rotor because of slight pulsation,the choice was Motorcrap $65. or centric for $ 84,I am leaning toward the latter,Marty

Thanks for the response. Marty in response to your reply I guess I should specify that my wifes car has the opposite issue. When her car has been sitting for a while or while it is cool I don't have the grinding issue. But once I have been driving the car for a little bit is when the grinding begins. And it gets worse the more I drive it. But then if I let the car sit for a couple of hours after it has been grinding and I assume has a chance to cool down, the grinding isn't present again until I have been driving the car for a little bit and then it comes back. I am assuming there is some sort of cooling issue that the rotors and/or pads are not able to cool enough while driving and that is what causes the grinding??

• 1 month later...

I get a machine gun effect when stopping at certain times,It seems only to happen when both rotors align the out of parallel surface,if you turn a corner it goes away,soon to replace brakes and rotors,Marty

Edited by Depiry

• 3 months later...

Man I would like to see anybody or any breaking system that was so strong it would bend the rotors! BS is what they just fed you.

Your service center used inferior rotors, big issue when not using stock or top end quality top end aftermarket parts.

There is no reason for you to keep paying or having to purchase an upgraded brake parts. They installed junk so they should fix it for free. They will learn a lesson by selling junk after they keep replacing your parts under warranty.

Tell them if they don't permanently fix the issue you will consult a Lawyer.

i agree about using inferior parts. my wife just went thru the same issue with her 2007 edge.

i'm going to replace them myself this fall with higher quality parts.