Chrome Wheel Cover Problem

Dakotazeb

I have a 2010 Edge Limited with the chrome wheel covers. This spring, after a long tough winter, the chome is really tarnished. I spent the afternoon with some chome polish and have them looking fairly good. But I don't think a person should have to put up with this every spring. And are they just going to get worse? Anyone else having the same issue? If so, has Ford offered to do anything?

I asked the same question way back and a few of the guys here said to use Maguires products and to wax them like you would wax the car to help keep the gook off. I never did that so I suffer with tarnished wheels.

There are chemicals that will remove it, but you need to find the right ones. Something that will have a molecular affect.

There are chemicals that will remove it, but you need to find the right ones. Something that will have a molecular affect.

I used Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and it worked pretty well. But still my main question is why should us owners have to contend with this. I've never had this happen with other aluminum or chrome wheels. I think Ford has an inferier product in this wheel cover.

• 4 weeks later...

I used Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and it worked pretty well. But still my main question is why should us owners have to contend with this. I've never had this happen with other aluminum or chrome wheels. I think Ford has an inferier product in this wheel cover.

Funny thing is that these rims supposedly resist pitting and tarnishing versus real chrome.

I had the same problem i try a couple of diffrent product, but then i found Mother Pro-Stength Chrome Wheel cleaner. I sprayed it on let it sit for couple of minutes and sprayed off, and holy cow those rims where shining. It cut right through the brake dust and the winter build up.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to try it out.