2010 edge navigation

My wife and I just bought a 2010 Edge limited, the vehicle didn't come with factory nav. and I was just wondering if it was possible to install a factory nav. system into the vehicle. Or would it be better to go with a aftermarket system?

if you have Sync, you can go with JVC n30t this unit with a PAC harness will retain Sync and that would be the cheapest way to go about 1400.00 or you can go with just the JVC unit it is about 900.00. Factory unit from Ford Dealership will run you about 3000.00 Hope this helps

My wife and I just bought a 2010 Edge limited, the vehicle didn't come with factory nav. and I was just wondering if it was possible to install a factory nav. system into the vehicle. Or would it be better to go with a aftermarket system?

There is an upgrade option available from the dealer. 2500. + instalation. I purchased a unit out of a wrecked 2010 F350 for 850.00.

i would go aftermarket. any brand will work with that sync retention harness. its not brand specific. There are 2 different harnesses. 1 has a little screen so you can see the functions (whos calling, ipod info) the other has no screen so its just a matter of guessing. neither of these will show any info in the radio itself. On top of this you need to make sure that any radio you buy has an aux input. this is how the sound gets into the radio.

The other thing you can do too is just get a radio with bluetooth and an ipod adapter. yes you do lose the steering controls.

Unless you are really set on using the Edge screen I would opt for Garmin or equivalent automotive GPS. Our '11 Limited came with the SD card based nav (I certainly didn't order it so it must have been included in an option package - Canadian Touring. Ford now clearly states that, but back in Nov '10 I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the brochure) and while the large screen is nice, its user interface is not well thought out. For example, it is address oriented so If the place you want to go to does not have an address you must fudge it (our cottage has no address). Lest that sound minor here are 2 showstoppers;

1 - map updates are expensive, likely $300 + each time - my 1390 Garmin cost $219 with lifetime maps (in 1 year I have installed 3 new map updates).

2 - you cannot add your own points-of-interest (POI) via an external source. You can spend the time in your Edge to address enter a few but you will find that very tedious and if you have to reset the system - poof, they're gone - Using my laptop and Garmin I have installed several hundred POIs, from rest stops on major highways to all the Tim Horton's locations - the sky is the limit.

I am sure there are happy Sync Nav users out there and perhaps the system works better in the USA (my Garmin has several features only available in the USA) but I would not pay extra $$$ for the current Edge Nav system if it was not already installed.

• 1 year later...

I found this thread and wondered if all the informaton is still the same... i just bought a 2010 Edge SE with the Standard SINGLE CD OEM radio, and I want to put in a CD Changer unit with REAR VIEW CAMERA capability... Iphone integration would also be great... any new ideas, thoughts or experiences out there???? TIA