Intake system installed. Engine light just went on. Grrrr!!

EDGEONU

Any help/input would be great here fellow edge owners. I've had my intake system in my edge for about 3 weeks now and I've had intakes in EVERY car I've every owned and this issue is new to me. Just today while driving the engine light went on. I have a buddy in town who has a shop so I went right to him and he plugged it in, it read "bank 1, bank 2 too rich" He re set it and off I went. Question is what does that mean? He said it's no big deal and if it goes on again just come by and he'll clear it again, my concern is there is a problem right? Should I take it out and put the stock plumbing back in? It drives fine and sounds great but I'm worried I'm doing engine damage and it's brand new,just hit 400 miles.

Thanks for your help

Edited by EDGEONU

Any help/input would be great here fellow edge owners. I've had my intake system in my edge for about 3 weeks now and I've had intakes in EVERY car I've every owned and this issue is new to me. Just today while driving the engine light went on. I have a buddy in town who has a shop so I went right to him and he plugged it in, it read "bank 1, bank 2 too rich" He re set it and off I went. Question is what does that mean? He said it's no big deal and if it goes on again just come by and he'll clear it again, my concern is there is a problem right? Should I take it out and put the stock plumbing back in? It drives fine and sounds great but I'm worried I'm doing engine damage and it's brand new,just hit 400 miles.

Thanks for your help

Did you reinstall the mass airflow sensor correctly? If the filter was over-oiled it could have fouled it. If it was doing engine damage the light would be back on immediately. Could be a one time thing. Just keep an eye on it and if it's flashing get it looked at asap.

Did you reinstall the mass airflow sensor correctly? If the filter was over-oiled it could have fouled it. If it was doing engine damage the light would be back on immediately. Could be a one time thing. Just keep an eye on it and if it's flashing get it looked at asap.

Thanks bro, Yes I did double check the MAS and it's on there correctly and the weaponsR intake filter cone does not require oil per there tech's and install directions. Hopefully then a one time thing since it's been on for 3 weeks and just went today as well as been clear every since my guy checked and cleared it.

Well after phone call after phone call with WeaponR techs and Ford techs turns out that the intake system I had for my 2011 edge was for a 2010. Seems that the piping is different from last year. Yeah a half inch difference and that's why the engine light keeps tripping. Per WeaponR my edge was getting too much air through a smaller pipe which was calling for more fuel. It was a 3inch pipe and they said I need a 4inch pipe. I took it out and reistalled all the stock piping drove a cycle and no light. They do not have one for the 2011 yet but hopefully soon they said. Now I'm not a mech so I don't know much about what they were talking about. I had to measure the stock intake against the aftermarket one and after the measurements that's what they came up with. The pipe is too small. Too much air being forced through a pipe that was too small. :banghead:

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if that would have helped, the mass air flow meters are tuned to the injectors. If the pipe is too small the air speed in the tubing would be faster maby tricking the mass air flow meter into thinking more air than there really was.