Importing to Canada

I've just purchased a 2011 Edge Limited AWD in Renton, WA and I've begun the process to import the car to my new home in Vancouver BC. In researching the process of importing and I found this site - http://www.monsieurmaggot.com/Autoimporthome.html which lists out all the steps (with pictures) of importing a Subaru to the Great White North. Really demystifies the process as it shows all the forms and stickers associated to the import. The list clears up what taxes are applicable and which agency gets what. I think its a must if you want to bring your Edge up north to read this site.

Canada is a bit different (at least in BC) with the fact that the car insurance company does both insurance and registration of the vehicle (Autoplan). They gave me a list of items that need to be provided in order to gain insurance and get plates for your car. I'll try and scan that document and post as it shows what they are actually looking for, and how to get discounts on basic insurance.

Now talking about modifications. Talking to some dealerships up here about what needs to be done, the discussion always comes back to the DRLs. The Edge dash has secondary metric measurements, and there is an option to change the digital readouts to km and celsius. This is all about getting both a federal safety inspection and a provincial one, which will require both a dynometer test (for emissions) and a physical test drive. The only roadblock is the DRLs. I've got some leads on a couple of dealerships that would make that modification on a LTD, so I will report that when the process is done.

I've been researching for months and I am this close to finishing the import, and I've the seen the angst other people have had doing this process so whatever I find out, I'll share.

As an additional note, Sound Ford in Renton, WA has been exceptional in working this out with me. They will provide any documentation you need free of charge and answer all questions. I purchased the car from Hawaii, in prep of my move up north and they've answered all my questions. Ian up there as the internet sales manager worked through a 2 month buying process and got me the car I needed from another dealer. Check them out if you want to buy.

Good luck gents.

I imported 4 cars when I moved back to Canada after living in the US for a while. It wasn't nearly as bad as some people think it would be, but I did already own the vehicles first.

Have you found a way to get out of paying the state sales tax in WA?

Just state that you are exporting the car and will not drive it in WA. They will issue you a MSO document instead of of a title which you can use to title it in Canada. I wanted charged sales tax in WA. I'll be charged in Vancouver.

Talking to the Autoplan people up here made the process seem very simple. Some dealerships and shipping companies talk like 90% of cars can't be imported. The biggest hurdle would be the emissions inspection but if you pass this in the states you should be good. Already got an insurance quote up here. (expensive!)

I imported 4 cars when I moved back to Canada after living in the US for a while. It wasn't nearly as bad as some people think it would be, but I did already own the vehicles first.

Have you found a way to get out of paying the state sales tax in WA?

Edited by CMOS