Low idle and hard shifting

leblancbusa

Hello,

I know a lot of folks complain about the 2007 Edge & MKX rolling backwards on hills. While this is a bit annoying, I can deal with that since I've owned manual transmission vehicles and I know how to use two feet - it sounds like a lot of people don't and get harassing comments. I really care more about how the transmission engages. It slams into gear sometimes when I leave my street that has a small incline. I've also had it slam into 2nd gear (big bang) when trying to enter a busy highway and now I'm kind of nervous when having to do so after that experience. I plan to bring it to the dealer and have them check it out but I've heard many others say it's "normal and within spec's". Most vehicles I've owned idle in the upper 600's but this one is in the low 500's. Having it this low seems like the torque converter is slamming into action because of the low idle.

I'm a backyard mechanic with most of my experience on the older non-computerized engines so I'd appreciate any help I can get with this issue.

Thanks in advance!

I've had that happen several times after I first bought my 07 Edge new. It never did it again until just recently but not near as severe as it had early on. I never got it looked at as it just seemed to sporadic in it's occurrences and I knew the dealer would be unable to 'reproduce' the issue. I'm approaching 70k miles and no mechanical issues despite the occasional hard shift. I'd be interested to hear what the dealer tells you.

• 3 weeks later...

the dealer will tell you its a $200+ computer fix. its a reflash of the computer, there is a TSB on the books about it but if youre out of warranty youre SOL.

hope that helps.

It is still under factory warranty so I'll bring it in and see what happens now that I know this. It looks like there are a couple of TSB's related to this.

Much appreciated!!!

NHTSA: Action Number: 10032244 Service Bulletin Number: 232416

Report Date:

Oct 01, 2007Component:

Power Train

Summary: Ford/mercury/lincoln: some vehicles equipped with a 6f50 transaxle , with any output shaft speed (oss) sensor or turbine shaft speed (tss) sensor diagnostic trouble code(s) (dtcs) p0715, p0717, p0720, p0721, p0722 and/or harsh engagements,

• 1 month later...

It is still under factory warranty so I'll bring it in and see what happens now that I know this. It looks like there are a couple of TSB's related to this.

I'd be interested to hear what kind of response you got. I had mine into the dealer at about 10K and again at 35K to make sure the problem was documented before the powertrain warranty ran out. The did the flash upgrade at NC, but ultimately did not cure the problem. My theory is that a passage somewhere is machined just a bit too tight for a checkball to move when the engine is cold and the rpm's are low. I find that if you put it in Drive and move the vehicle, then into Neutral and goose the throttle (just like an old-fashioned double-clutch), then move off in Drive, this virtually eliminates the problem. I have 67K miles on it now and no breakdown.