Ford Edge: Buyers rave, critics rant

Ford Edge: Buyers rave, critics rant

Ford Motor Co.'s critical Edge crossover is living up to its name.

On Thursday, the Dearborn automaker hailed news that consumers ranked it the "most appealing new vehicle" in the J.D. Power and Associates annual APEAL survey, the latest in a growing string of accolades from the people who matter most -- those who actually buy the cars.

But they're not the only folks who matter. Consumer Reports, the bible for many car buyers, ranks the Edge 15th among 18 midsize SUVs, calls it "a disappointment" and "no challenge to the four-year-old Nissan Murano" in its August issue, set to hit newsstands Tuesday but already arriving at the homes of subscribers. READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE HERE.

Well.. what can you say?

CR reviews states their OPINION.

JD Power based their facts on actual owners.

If you read this site, its pretty consistent - drivers love their Edges -

Clearly - the overall sales of crossover vehicles reflects the Edge as a favorite.

I will believe JD Power over CR any day - clearly this spring has shown that Ford has made leaps in its quality and image.

CR will jump on the bandwagon a year from now - likely with 2008 Edge - my bet - it will rave about it.

I got on the bandwagon early - took the "OH you bought FORD" with a big smile and said - you wait and see - the Edge will be great.

Sure enough - facts speak louder than opinions.

Well.. what can you say?

CR reviews states their OPINION.

JD Power based their facts on actual owners.

If you read this site, its pretty consistent - drivers love their Edges -

Clearly - the overall sales of crossover vehicles reflects the Edge as a favorite.

I will believe JD Power over CR any day - clearly this spring has shown that Ford has made leaps in its quality and image.

CR will jump on the bandwagon a year from now - likely with 2008 Edge - my bet - it will rave about it.

I got on the bandwagon early - took the "OH you bought FORD" with a big smile and said - you wait and see - the Edge will be great.

Sure enough - facts speak louder than opinions.

Edgy, you are spot on! :rockon:

When you get right down to it unless you're talking about a Camry or Accord, CR doesn't like any vehicles, they always find something wrong whether nitpicky or not. I haven't used them as an auto buying resource for many years because of that attitude.

I have less and less respect for the Consumer Reports so called "scientific" staff and their jaded OPINIONS every day. What's really a shame is that this arrogant bunch of so called "experts" have so many people who can't think for themselves following the CR OPINIONS blindly as if they are fact. It is nice, though, to see the true FACTS (JD Power, true sales figures) putting CR in their places. :hysterical:

It's quite obvious that CR people didn't care for the Edge review visit by Mr. Mullally and his team of engineers, and decided to put the screws to Ford with their arrogance. :shades:

I have read many reviews of both the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX. I test drove both the Ford and Lincoln on two different occasions and settled on the MKX as a matter of personal choice. The reviews by CR of both the Ford and MKX can at times be bewildering as to what they are looking for in the vehicles. Even Motor Trends latest challenge of four different CUV's brought the MKX in 4th place. I found the fairest review and the one I agree with most on the strengths and weaknesses of the MKX is Edmund's.

As a reader of CR for many years. The bias against American brands is obvious. They claim to be 'neutral', but yet their so called 'experts' certainly favor Asian brands. They nitpick the American brands and ignore the shortcomings of Asian brands.

As for the Edge, MKX. I am in the early stages of researching and checking out various vehicles that are classified either midsized SUV's or Crossovers.

I've eliminated the Saturn Vue due to owner comments on poor ride and road noise. Eliminated the GMC Acadia due to size. Eliminated the Land Rover LR2 because I don't need a vehicle to climb mountains with.

That leaves only the Edge, MKX and Murano. Those 3 vehicles offer what I am looking for....comfort, quiet ride, good driving position and room in the back seats for adults. Other so called automotive 'experts' blasted the Fords for a lack of a third row seat. Why would you cram a third row into a vehicle that is only 185" long? Makes no sense to cut down leg room in the first two rows just to put in a third seat. The vehicles are marketed towards consumers who don't need to lug around a bunch of kids. If the Edge, MKX came with third row seats, I wouldn't even consider them.

I don't expect this type of vehicle to handle like a sports car, so why the criticism? My purpose is to buy a vehicle that is comfortable on a long trip. Quiet ride, handles like a standard car but is capable of storing large objects in the back.

As for the Edge, I would have to agree with CR, on the interior. Way to much plastic. My son who is a body shop tech blasted the Edge for the amount of cheap plastic used in the vehicle, but liked the MKX. It is a crime to put a 'cheap looking interior' in a $35K vehicle. To my way of thinking, interiors make the vehicle since one is inside behind the wheel more than looking at it from the outside. I'd spend the extra thousands for the MKX. I hope that Ford upgrades the trim used in the 2008 Edge models.

My next step is too test drive the vehicles. The Murano is certainly in the running, but is handicapped by the need to run premium fuel. Although some owners claim that using regular doesn't make a difference in the way the vehicle performs. That issue I will have to further investigate.

Yeah, you have to wonder what other motives these people have who rank vehicles the way they do. I agree with Edgy Girl, listen to the people!!!

I may have had a few complaints in here, but do not misunderstand me...I as well as my wife, LOVE the Edge. A guy I work with bought a Murano and so far he loves that as well. He never drove mine and I never drove his. But @ Gtessex, he is one of those people who will only buy the CHEAPEST gas. So his Murano will NEVER see premium fuel. With that said, he is still claiming an average of 19-20mpg local driving?

So, screw the critics, we like our Edge and as long as it keeps driving the comfy way it has been for me, without any mechanical problems in the near future...I will continue to love it!