Going from 22" Sport to aftermarket 20's?

jackson5

I do like the 22" rims.. They are baller, especially to a guy like me who never liked big rims. But I'm not married to them, and I think I could gain noticable power and 2-3mpg improvement if i went to lighter weight 20's.

I've always had a thing for the KMC Rockstars, which are very popular on the JK Jeeps. (2007-present, I have had 2 of these Jeeps) These rims are only >>>> Weight: 27.6lbs. <<<<<<

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=KM77528001742B&wheelMake=KMC&wheelModel=Rockstar+Car&wheelFinish=Black+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Edge+Limited&autoYear=2011&autoModClar=FWD&filterFinish=All&filterSize=20&filterBrand=KMC&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Diameter

kmc_rockstrc_b_ci3_l.jpg

I wish there was some way I could see if they look any good on my car? I don't really have a good side shot of my car yet for a good photoshop.

newedge1.jpg

I guess I would have to buy the rims, tires, TMPS kit, and a TPMS reset tool.. It would probably run my $2000 all in all.. So thats a lot of money to spend if I dont know if it will look any good. I am not a chrome grill type of guy, hence why i got the Sport trim. I really like my black grill. (But I also got it for the non-wood dash and shift paddles, and two tone leather seats..)

IF I were to sell my 22" Sport rims/tires/TPMS for pickup only, think i'd have any chance of getting $2000 for the kit? They have 400 miles on them so far, brand new.

Thanks for any tips, i dont want to make the mistake of getting rid of these and regretting it later, but I wouldnt mind even more power and slightly better mileage.

ya im not convinced to change them yet. The #1 most important thing is look, and i dont want to change to a wheel I personally dont think looks better.

but a sport will look different with them than the pic i posted above.

Edited by jackson5

Not too sure about the other things, but I just got my rims changed with no TPMS and so far I've gotten no warning message.

Not sure if mine were not programmed but the worst thing that could happen is a little message on the left side screen and all you do is press "OK".

Soooo you wouldn't need to spend so much money on the TPMS that would prb cost another $500 and you might not need it, like I check my wheels every time before I get into my car. But it's up to you.

Here I've attached a photo of my car with my black rims, you might be able to relate to them :)

Edited by CCL123

that doesn't look half bad dude. but your rims have the chrome ring which makes a big difference. I have had those window deflectors on my Jeeps, and loved them. Wasnt sure if they would wreck the look on an Edge. I can see now that they look pretty good, so i might buy those too..

to tell you the truth, i also like your step bar, where and how much? i might go black instead of chrome, but i dont want people stepping on my body kit..

nice Edge!

i really need to see a SPORT with black rims to get a better idea. I'll keep searching..

Edited by jackson5

Oh true about the chrome ring. I chose something like that so that when it spins you'll see something shiny lol but I guess the star kinda does that.

I guess key think is to keep in mind that your wheels won't be as flashy and shiny when you drive compared to the Sport ones,

For the side steps Ford installed them for me as a part of my deal but you definitely won't regret getting them, they come in handy lol.

ya i guess the more i drive my Sport, the more I realize how much i like the stock rims.. and i also realize that power isnt an issue. I only have 380 miles on it so far, but i did a quick test up to 90-100 for a few seconds on a private track and it goes just fine. i'm very pleased with my decision to spring for this better engine. the mileage is another issue, which i may just accept in order to keep lookin good.

i ordered Weathertech window deflectors yesterday, so i'll add those in a week. they look especially good on white cars with the dark contrast. i got the darker tint version. no tape on the weathertechs, they slide into the channel. i had multiple sets on my jeeps.

Edited by jackson5

ya i guess the more i drive my Sport, the more I realize how much i like the stock rims.. and i also realize that power isnt an issue. I only have 380 miles on it so far, but i did a quick test up to 90-100 for a few seconds on a private track and it goes just fine. i'm very pleased with my decision to spring for this better engine. the mileage is another issue, which i may just accept in order to keep lookin good.

i ordered Weathertech window deflectors yesterday, so i'll add those in a week. they look especially good on white cars with the dark contrast. i got the darker tint version. no tape on the weathertechs, they slide into the channel. i had multiple sets on my jeeps.

Good choice ! It's gonna look great and yes I hear the weathertechs are so much better, the dealer installed mine for me so I had no choice :(

And for milage, believe it or not my car has a faster accleration and has used less gas after switching to the new rims since my stock ones were i guess heavy? lol

But that was because my stock were not as awesome as the Sports lol.

Glad you made the decision :)