Wheel speed sensor/ABS sensor question

Logman3585

The other day while driving my wifes 07 Edge AWD down the highway, the wrench light came one, then the abs and traction control lights came on. All the light periodically come on and off. I took it in to get scanned and was told it was a front drivers side wheel speed sensor. Is a wheel speed sensor the same thing as a abs sensor? We bought the edge used and the dealer warranty is over, but is still under the powertrain warranty from Ford for 5 yrs/60000 miles. It currently has 49000 miles on it. Would a sensor like this be covered under the powertrain warranty? What kind of bill am I looking at the replace if it isn't covered under warranty? Is it something I can do myself or is it better to take it in to be done?

Thank you and look forward to anybody's input.

The other day while driving my wifes 07 Edge AWD down the highway, the wrench light came one, then the abs and traction control lights came on. All the light periodically come on and off. I took it in to get scanned and was told it was a front drivers side wheel speed sensor. Is a wheel speed sensor the same thing as a abs sensor? We bought the edge used and the dealer warranty is over, but is still under the powertrain warranty from Ford for 5 yrs/60000 miles. It currently has 49000 miles on it. Would a sensor like this be covered under the powertrain warranty? What kind of bill am I looking at the replace if it isn't covered under warranty? Is it something I can do myself or is it better to take it in to be done?

Thank you and look forward to anybody's input.

Yes it's the same as the ABS sensor. No, it's not part of the powertrain. I think a replacement is only a few hundred bucks. Any dealer could give you a quote over the phone. Not sure if it's a DIY job or not.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

not the right vehicle but gives you an idea of what

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L65kzq2tFnY

Thanks for the video goodtimes. If I had only known it was that easy. I might get to do it again as the lights came on again last night when my wife was coming home from work. What are the chances it it the passenger side? I haven't had it scanned yet. Hopefully it is just an abs sensor and not something bigger :angry: