plasti dipped my wheels

beemer freak

i wanted to make the car look a little more aggressive so i thought going all black would be a starting point!

didn't take pictures of the process so i'll do my best to describe it.

1) take the wheels off and wipe each one down make sure you have a clean surface to work with

2) instead of taping off the tires i decided to use index cards and stuck it between the wheel and the tire so none of the plasti-dip would end up on the tires

3) if you plan on painting only the chrome/black part of the wheel then you might want to tape off the inner part of the wheel or if you want to spray the whole wheel then leave it as is. cover up the nozzle to inflate your tires as well (with painters tape)

4) now you're ready to paint. i decided to work section by section rather than layer by layer. So for each wheel i would evenly spray a quarter section until i thought i had covered up the chrome and then moved on to the next quarter of the wheel. make sure you keep some distance when spraying cause you might end up making the paint bleed so spray from 6 or 8 inches away

5) right after youre done painting the wheel take out the index cards cause i had a slight accident where the wind blew some of the index cards on the wet plasti dip and ruined the wheel.

6) let it dry and youre good to go!

Edited by beemer freak

i wanted to make the car look a little more aggressive so i thought going all black would be a starting point!

didn't take pictures of the process so i'll do my best to describe it.

1) take the wheels off and wipe each one down make sure you have a clean surface to work with

2) instead of taping off the tires i decided to use index cards and stuck it between the wheel and the tire so none of the plasti-dip would end up on the tires

3) if you plan on painting only the chrome/black part of the wheel then you might want to tape off the inner part of the wheel or if you want to spray the whole wheel then leave it as is. cover up the nozzle to inflate your tires as well (with painters tape)

4) now you're ready to paint. i decided to work section by section rather than layer by layer. So for each wheel i would evenly spray a quarter section until i thought i had covered up the chrome and then moved on to the next quarter of the wheel. make sure you keep some distance when spraying cause you might end up making the paint bleed so spray from 6 or 8 inches away

5) right after youre done painting the wheel take out the index cards cause i had a slight accident where the wind blew some of the index cards on the wet plasti dip and ruined the wheel.

6) let it dry and youre good to go!

Beemer,

Did you have to sand or rough up the surface in anyway? I am looking at trying this for my grille and wondering if I will need to ruin the surface or not....

Beemer,

Did you have to sand or rough up the surface in anyway? I am looking at trying this for my grille and wondering if I will need to ruin the surface or not....

No, you don't need to sand or do anything to the surface. the paint will nicely bond to the grille as is. make sure you cover up the surrounding areas cause the over spray can get all over your car

Edited by beemer freak

The rims go well on the silver. Not sure if they would look as good on white. The silver/black/tints looks smooth together. Then again, if i wanted a different look I would get rid of my 22's altogether.. only because of mileage. Its starting to get to me. The Edge power is a lot better on freeway for example, than from a stop. I can really feel those 22's trying to spin up. I was looking at some 27 lb 20" rims the other day, but decided against it. I think once the excitement/bling wears off for me, I wouldnt be against dumping my 22's for some real light 20's. My avg mpg was 20.4 the first couple weeks I had my Edge. Now that im on about week 4-5 and im not babying it anymore, my mileage is about 16.. Lighter wheels are sounding real nice about now, although my 22" stockers are the only reason my car gets looks. Sorry to get off topic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

looks real good.. how is it holding up?

the paint is surprisingly holding up really well. I managed to curb one of the rims and just peeled off the plastidip and resprayed it, looks like new!

edge looks killer. how many cans of plastic dip did you use and what kit is on your edge?

I used almost 1 can per wheel, i learned that you should put down a good number of coats because it's a lot easier to peel off the paint when it's thicker vs. having like 2 layers which is a pain to take off

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...