Can I just drain/refill my ATF?

Hey all,

From everything i'm reading, my transmission is a sealed unit. Does this prevent me from (easily) being able to drain and refill my ATF? I'm only at 51k on my 2007 Edge SEL Plus AWD, but i'm starting to feel a bit of hesitation in the shifting. I'm assuming new fluid will solve it, seeing as I've done that on several other vehicles and it solves any funny shifting. Any thoughts, experiences, or advice I should know about?

Hey all,

From everything i'm reading, my transmission is a sealed unit. Does this prevent me from (easily) being able to drain and refill my ATF? I'm only at 51k on my 2007 Edge SEL Plus AWD, but i'm starting to feel a bit of hesitation in the shifting. I'm assuming new fluid will solve it, seeing as I've done that on several other vehicles and it solves any funny shifting. Any thoughts, experiences, or advice I should know about?

It's not sealed - it just doesn't require frequent fluid changes except in severe service.

The best way is to let the dealer do it - they use lines connected to the cooler that takes out the old fluid and replaces it with new fluid using the transmission pump itself in normal operation. This will change 95% of the old fluid (or more) without dropping the pan (including the torque converter). There is no need to change the filter. If there is enough stuff to clog the filter the tranny is toast already.

Drained and topped off the fluid yesterday. It was as simple as I assumed it would be, although, trying to track down Mercon V in my town is like pulling teeth. That aside, the job was successful. My shifting has smoothed out, and it even feels a little lighter on the pedal. Question though: The fluid was pretty dirty, but I had almost no shavings on the drain plug when I pulled it. Should I be worried that maybe my filter is gathering everything and may be clogged?

Drained and topped off the fluid yesterday. It was as simple as I assumed it would be, although, trying to track down Mercon V in my town is like pulling teeth. That aside, the job was successful. My shifting has smoothed out, and it even feels a little lighter on the pedal. Question though: The fluid was pretty dirty, but I had almost no shavings on the drain plug when I pulled it. Should I be worried that maybe my filter is gathering everything and may be clogged?

A longtime Ford transmission engineer doesn't even bother to change filters. He just lets the dealer swap out all the fluid every 30K miles. He says if there is enough material in the pan to clog up the filter then the tranny is already toast.

Which makes sense if you think about it.