I believe the 2011 MKX only has one HID headlight lense on each side of the vehicle. Not sure about the Edge.

How do the high beams show? Are they also HID?

Thanks

Edge Limited and MKX have Bi-Xenon HIDs.

It shows only low beam by use of a cut-off shield mounted inside the projector. A solenoid and spring mechanism move the shield out of the way when you hit the high beams.

If you are somewhere quiet, you can hear it as you flash them. It's actually pretty loud in these cars versus some others I've heard (not necessarily a bad thing IMO)

EDIT: I should also add that the Halogen equipped 2011+ Edges are Bi-Halogen using the same projector style (but a completely different projector housing optimized for halogen filaments)

Edited by cal3thousand

It sounds like you work for Ford!? LOL

Since the high beam is a HID, I thought this type of bulb takes a few seconds to 'warm up'. Have they overcome this for the high beams?

I hope the high beams are not always on and just blocked by the shield you mentioned?

Jim

Edge Limited and MKX have Bi-Xenon HIDs.

It shows only low beam by use of a cut-off shield mounted inside the projector. A solenoid and spring mechanism move the shield out of the way when you hit the high beams.

If you are somewhere quiet, you can hear it as you flash them. It's actually pretty loud in these cars versus some others I've heard (not necessarily a bad thing IMO)

EDIT: I should also add that the Halogen equipped 2011+ Edges are Bi-Halogen using the same projector style (but a completely different projector housing optimized for halogen filaments)

It sounds like you work for Ford!? LOL

Since the high beam is a HID, I thought this type of bulb takes a few seconds to 'warm up'. Have they overcome this for the high beams?

I hope the high beams are not always on and just blocked by the shield you mentioned?

Jim

Don't work for Ford, I'm just very interested in lighting systems in cars.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough though.

There's only one bulb that does the job of low and high beam (on each side) and it is lit whenever the headlights are turned "on".

The shield, blocks the light from shining above the "cut-off" line, effectively creating a low beam "pattern".

When you pull the stalk to command the high beams, a shield inside the projector moves out of the way to allow the FULL high beam "pattern" to shine.

You'll notice that "high beam" is not any brighter than "low beam", it just casts light in a larger "spray"