Should I take delivery

vaguy79

I recently purchased an Edge Sport AWD 10 days ago and the dealer stated they could obtain the vehicle from another local Ford dealer and that it should take 2 days max to get. After two days, I didn't hear anything and they stated the other dealer refused to trade the car. Long story short, the dealer found another Sport in Ohio, I live in Atlanta. I briefly inspected the car tonight (pick up tomorrow).

It was built in January 2011 and has 175 miles on it. I am concerned that the car has sat around for 5 months now. The biggest issue right now is that the chrome has fine swirl marks on them. It looks like someone dried the rims with the wrong material, leaving behind scratches and swirl marks. The salesperson tried to play it off by stating that his chrome wheels look like that too. Is this easily fixed? I can confirm the dealer updated the software to v. 2.8. I told him the rims will be a big issue and did not get a good feeling like the dealer was going to fix it.

Is there anything else I should look out for? Does the Sport package include wheel locks?

After reading about all the horrors with MFT and other issues, I am tempted to just walk away. Thanks!

I recently purchased an Edge Sport AWD 10 days ago and the dealer stated they could obtain the vehicle from another local Ford dealer and that it should take 2 days max to get. After two days, I didn't hear anything and they stated the other dealer refused to trade the car. Long story short, the dealer found another Sport in Ohio, I live in Atlanta. I briefly inspected the car tonight (pick up tomorrow).

It was built in January 2011 and has 175 miles on it. I am concerned that the car has sat around for 5 months now. The biggest issue right now is that the chrome has fine swirl marks on them. It looks like someone dried the rims with the wrong material, leaving behind scratches and swirl marks. The salesperson tried to play it off by stating that his chrome wheels look like that too. Is this easily fixed? I can confirm the dealer updated the software to v. 2.8. I told him the rims will be a big issue and did not get a good feeling like the dealer was going to fix it.

Is there anything else I should look out for? Does the Sport package include wheel locks?

After reading about all the horrors with MFT and other issues, I am tempted to just walk away. Thanks!

Hi vaguy. :D It is the salespersons job to convince you that any concerns you have are small potatoes, to tell you "Don't worry one bit, we will take care of anything you want later..." and get you to sign the Sales Contract now. This way, they get their commission and you are on your own. Not saying they won't take care of things later, but you have less leverage after you buy.

It is your job to ignore what they tell you and go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. Once you have a "punch list" of possible concerns, then decide whether you want to take the vehicle as is or have them take care of issues before purchasing. Or if the concerns are serious enough to you, walk away from the vehicle completely. Not to give a sermon, but we are all adults, so we all need to stand up for ourselves, make a decision and speak-up.

If you want them to take care of any issues before hand, speak up now and tell them you will not purchase the vehicle until they are taken care of. If you are in a hurry to buy but have issues which you are willing to have taken care of later after your purchase, have the concerns/needed repairs clearly listed on the purchase contract. In this case, I would have them take care of the swirl marks before purchasing. If they can be corrected, it should only take 10-20 minutes. If they can't, you may have trouble getting them to replace the wheels completely later, after the purchase.

My personal opinion about the entire deal itself? Well, that takes into consideration a strong personal preference I have. I have factory ordered every car I have ever purchased, since my first new one in 1976. I will not buy/take a car from Dealer stock. In this way, I get the exact car I want, in the color I want, with all the options I want and none of the ones I don't want. It has not been sitting on the lot for 3-5-8-10 months. No customers have sat in it, test driven it etc.. That being said, I understand why others may prefer, or due to personal circumstances have to to buy off the lot. So I understand my opinion is only good for me or those who feel the same way. If you like to buy off the lot, the fact that the Edge was built in January would not be a deal breaker, as long as you check it out completely and it clears your personal inspection.

Concerning the wheel locks: I have heard and believe they are standard on the Sport, but am not 100% sure. Check the brochure, website, have the salesperson show you the Order Guide etc. for any information they may have pertaining to wheel locks.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Something else to think about.

Edge Build Job 1 vs Job 2

Job 2 - March 2011 - Present.

Job 2 build date has different mirrors,and changes to MFT, but more importantly has an upgraded roof to meet higher safety standards

Thanks for all the suggestions. The dealer would not do anything about the rims and after looking at the rims in the sun, it looks worse than last night. Ultimately, I walked away from the deal. What a disappointment too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The dealer would not do anything about the rims and after looking at the rims in the sun, it looks worse than last night. Ultimately, I walked away from the deal. What a disappointment too.

Go see Doug Bollinger at Billy Howell Ford in Cumming. You can trust them.

Billy Howell ford is awesome. I use Brenda McClain there. I've bought 2 from her in the last week. I second the trust thing. MOG, not so much. I and 2 friends have all gotten screwed there.

Thanks! Too bad I need a car now and AWD Silver Sports are difficult to find in Atlanta. I know there is one at Jim Tidwell Ford in Kennesaw, but they refuse to trade with any dealers.

• 5 weeks later...

This may be a moot point at this juncture, but check out the thread "Polished Aluminum" under the Detailing section. Might clear up your concern over the rims.

J