CD Player question

I owned my Edge a day and managed to get my cd's stuck in the cd player. The dealer anwered my cry for help and pulled a cd player from one they had in stock. Within an hour I was on my way with a new cd player. He said the problem was I shouldn't play cd's that I have burned because they are too thick. I know the cd's I play have a paper label and thus they are thicker. I would like to play my home burned cd's without the label but I'm afraid to. Has anyone else tried playing their own cd's without the label?

I owned my Edge a day and managed to get my cd's stuck in the cd player. The dealer anwered my cry for help and pulled a cd player from one they had in stock. Within an hour I was on my way with a new cd player. He said the problem was I shouldn't play cd's that I have burned because they are too thick. I know the cd's I play have a paper label and thus they are thicker. I would like to play my home burned cd's without the label but I'm afraid to. Has anyone else tried playing their own cd's without the label?

:huh: To Thick!! I have never heard of that one until now. I burn my own CD's and had played them in my Pilot for 3 years and now my MKX with no problems. I am looking at a paper label right now that I have and there is no way I would classifty that label as thick!!. I think you had a defective CD player and the dealer was trying to blame it on the CD. As long as the labels are tightly adhered to the CD and are not peeling I don't see how the CD could cause the problem due to excessive thickness.

:huh: To Thick!! I have never heard of that one until now. I burn my own CD's and had played them in my Pilot for 3 years and now my MKX with no problems. I am looking at a paper label right now that I have and there is no way I would classifty that label as thick!!. I think you had a defective CD player and the dealer was trying to blame it on the CD. As long as the labels are tightly adhered to the CD and are not peeling I don't see how the CD could cause the problem due to excessive thickness.

I agree with jak....the dealer's wrong about the thickness of the CD's. I will say, though, that poorly attached labels have caused many a CD player to jam and/or malfunction. Just a tiny bit of the label falling off can cause big problems.

I always handwrite my labels with a Sharpie pen or lightscribe type of recorder.

This is from the owners manual.

CD units are designed to play commercially pressed 4.75 in

(12 cm) audio compact discs only. Due to technical

incompatibility, certain recordable and re-recordable compact

discs may not function correctly when used in Ford CD players.

Dirty, warped or damaged CDs, irregular shaped CDs, CDs with a

scratch protection film attached, and CDs with homemade paper

(adhesive) labels should not be inserted into the CD player. The

label may peel and cause the CD to become jammed. It is

recommended that homemade CDs be identified with permanent

felt tip marker rather than adhesive labels. Ballpoint pens may

damage CDs. Please contact your authorized dealer for further

information.

I don't know how much that helps you. Sounds like ford is telling us we can use homemade cd's that don't have paper lables or a plastic film........but some may not work. How do we know which ones won't work?

GrandpaJohn, have you looked into an ipod or something similar? I haven't burned a music cd since I got my Ipod almost two years ago. My whole music collection fits into the palm of my hand.

I don't know how much that helps you. Sounds like ford is telling us we can use homemade cd's that don't have paper lables or a plastic film........but some may not work. How do we know which ones won't work?

GrandpaJohn, have you looked into an ipod or something similar? I haven't burned a music cd since I got my Ipod almost two years ago. My whole music collection fits into the palm of my hand.

I have always played my own Cd's with no problems, But I write the title with a sharpie as I have had problems with paper lables in other cd players and computers.

I have always played my own Cd's with no problems, But I write the title with a sharpie as I have had problems with paper lables in other cd players and computers.

Agreed, I have also played many a homemade cd in various cars without trouble. I always used a sharpie as well.

However, I burn fewer cds since I got my mp3 player. Now if I can just get the dealer to fix the aux jack I'll be fine. (It only plays through the passenger side speakers. Yes, I've already checked the balance!)

This is from the owners manual.

CD units are designed to play commercially pressed 4.75 in

(12 cm) audio compact discs only. Due to technical

incompatibility, certain recordable and re-recordable compact

discs may not function correctly when used in Ford CD players.

Dirty, warped or damaged CDs, irregular shaped CDs, CDs with a

scratch protection film attached, and CDs with homemade paper

(adhesive) labels should not be inserted into the CD player. The

label may peel and cause the CD to become jammed. It is

recommended that homemade CDs be identified with permanent

felt tip marker rather than adhesive labels. Ballpoint pens may

damage CDs. Please contact your authorized dealer for further

information.

I agree with this. I work for a stereo manufacturer & know that non commercial CD's can indeed cause problems in a changer.

the problem with the paper labels on the CDs is that they get HOT in teh player... so hot that the adheasive will let loose and no matter how well that you put it on, it's going to come loose and jam.

I've had no problems playing homemade CDs without labels with other Ford radios (Visteon Brand) in the past and no problems with our Pioneer made unit in our Edge.