LED Lights

How did you replace the Windshield Dome.....I am afraid of breaking it! I purchase the 42mm x 11mm Festoon lamp....I will let you know if they work!! When I received them.

it you are talking about the front drivers/passengers map light when you say "Windshield Dome" - well, on my 2008 those are NOT festoon bulbs. they are wedge bulbs like the lecense plate bulbs. so, not sure what you plan to put 42x11mm festoons into?

as for opening that front drivers/passengers map lights.. I am curious about opening that as well. you can easily pry down the white trim around the 2 bulbs clear pressable covers, but to get actual full finger access you need to pull down the whole trim piece and as much as I have tried, it seems it will break.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay.. after much research and what not, here is my plan of action to do ALL the bulbs inside the car having already done the license plate bulbs. I believe I have measured this all out correct and have the items sourced all from 1 place. he is getting back to me, but here is the goal. In measuring, I see that in the case of the festoon bulbs, the lengths do not need to be right on exact... for example, in a 38mm, a 36mm or 39mm should be just fine. they are on order and I will report back.

1 rear trunk cargo area: Super white 9-LED 39mm festoon bulb

post-2453-1207019892_thumb.jpg

2 front map lights: Super White T10 6-Led 194-168 wedge bulbs (exact ones I did for license plate)

post-2453-1207019955_thumb.jpg

3 rear dome/map lights: Super White 6-LED 36mm festoon bulb

post-2453-1207020090_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lex Talionis

I have thought about going to the stealership and finding out how much the puddle light modules are and buying two and modifying them.

I thought the exact same thing. It 'looks' like there are little festoon bulbs sealed into that unit. all you would have to do is use like a dremmel tool and cut all the way around the unit down near the refractor away from bulb, peel open, replace the bulb (whatever it is), and then reseal with a glue, epoxy or just simple electric tape incase future replacements are desired. The unit sits up in the mirror pretty safe and secure. I believe this is 100% doable, no doubt. the real possible issue is what kind/size bulb is in that sealed unit and finding it?

It is irritating to have all of these nice super white LED bulbs and the dingy yellow on the puddles.

UPDATE: dealer says retail on just 1 of the puddle lamp units is $63.00.. d-ohhhh

Edited by Lex Talionis

as for my post above #27, I followed through on that exact order and they turned out AWESOME

I now have clean LED lights in all internal spots in my car: 2 front maps, 3 rear dome/map, 1 rear cargo.. when they light up at night it is killer looking. nice clean bright white bulbs make the car feel 100% different and so much more classy feeling. no joke. it is dramatic, to me, to go from dingy yellow to super bright white. wow... looks fantastic. and even looks cool from the outside as you walk up.

here are some tips. As I said above, getting the exact correct bulbs was a no go, so it was a matter of measuring and getting closest you could. I had to do some minor tweaks and improvise here and there, but nothing major. In the end, I had all the bulbs in in about 15 minutes.. it is during install that I determined these tips.

TIP 1: removing the front 2 map bulbs in a :censored: really. cant pry down the white plastic trim piece fare enough to comfortably get your fingers in there to even get a grab on those slippery bulbs. that took me the most time and in the end I used a pair of forceps to get up into there and grab those bulbs. the whole time there seems a risk to breaking that piece, but I got lucky. go slow.

TIP 2: as I said above, LED bulbs seems to have a + and - pole, so if you put them in and they do not come on, turn them around.

TIP 3: on the rear cargo bulb and map/dome...from the place I ordered all my bulbs, I had to pick and choose the correct length of bulb as seen above. 1 thing I failed to take into account is that the festoon bulbs they sell taper to a point on each end, versus our festoon bulbs that are flat on each end. so, when I measured, I measured correct and all is well, until I got the bulbs and realized that because of the taper, they do not totally 100% fit perfect because the surface area lost by the taper would actually touch and have more contact if they were not tapered ends. in the end, you just have to center them such that 1 side of the internal bulb clamp makes a solid grip on the bulb end while the other side will just barely come into contact with the clamp completing the circuit and viola.. point is, a 39mm would have fit better, but in super white 6-led they had no 39mm, just 36.

TIP 4: on the rear cargo bulb and map/dome...you will need to use your fingers to squeeze the bulb holding clamps a bit tighter to hold firm. I believe stock are 11mm in diameter and what I got was 10mm, so just squeeze the clamps to hold them firm.

Edited by Lex Talionis

as for my post above #27, I followed through on that exact order and they turned out AWESOME

I now have clean LED lights in all internal spots in my car: 2 front maps, 3 rear dome/map, 1 rear cargo.. when they light up at night it is killer looking. nice clean bright white bulbs make the car feel 100% different and so much more classy feeling. no joke. it is dramatic, to me, to go from dingy yellow to super bright white. wow... looks fantastic. and even looks cool from the outside as you walk up.

here are some tips. As I said above, getting the exact correct bulbs was a no go, so it was a matter of measuring and getting closest you could. I had to do some minor tweaks and improvise here and there, but nothing major. In the end, I had all the bulbs in in about 15 minutes.. it is during install that I determined these tips.

TIP 1: removing the front 2 map bulbs in a :censored: really. cant pry down the white plastic trim piece fare enough to comfortably get your fingers in there to even get a grab on those slippery bulbs. that took me the most time and in the end I used a pair of forceps to get up into there and grab those bulbs. the whole time there seems a risk to breaking that piece, but I got lucky. go slow.

TIP 2: as I said above, LED bulbs seems to have a + and - pole, so if you put them in and they do not come on, turn them around.

TIP 3: on the rear cargo bulb and map/dome...from the place I ordered all my bulbs, I had to pick and choose the correct length of bulb as seen above. 1 thing I failed to take into account is that the festoon bulbs they sell taper to a point on each end, versus our festoon bulbs that are flat on each end. so, when I measured, I measured correct and all is well, until I got the bulbs and realized that because of the taper, they do not totally 100% fit perfect because the surface area lost by the taper would actually touch and have more contact if they were not tapered ends. in the end, you just have to center them such that 1 side of the internal bulb clamp makes a solid grip on the bulb end while the other side will just barely come into contact with the clamp completing the circuit and viola.. point is, a 39mm would have fit better, but in super white 6-led they had no 39mm, just 36.

TIP 4: on the rear cargo bulb and map/dome...you will need to use your fingers to squeeze the bulb holding clamps a bit tighter to hold firm. I believe stock are 11mm in diameter and what I got was 10mm, so just squeeze the clamps to hold them firm.

Lex , now that you have done the dirty work could you please give us the part #'s for these bulbs? If you could please post the vendor and their part #'s for these bulbs. Thanks Oval PS can we change the puddle lamps to these as well??

Lex , now that you have done the dirty work could you please give us the part #'s for these bulbs? If you could please post the vendor and their part #'s for these bulbs. Thanks Oval PS can we change the puddle lamps to these as well??

no part numbers to give, they do not work that way. I gave photos, specifications, and exact product names above from the ebay dealer - not sure what more I could possibly add or do to make it any easier than I did.

and as for the puddle lamps.. no, they are sealed units and cannot have their bulbs changed.... BUT I am about to blow your minds with what I DID do.... which I am willing to bet, for a fact, is a 1 of a kind mod never done on an Edge and I bet no one else has it and you will be the first to see it here

Edited by Lex Talionis

looks better in person.......more of the "neon-blue cast", like the 'imports'

will post later with better digital cam.

I ordered them & got it yesterday.

I tried to install them but couldnt do it. I cant take the ( L plate ) stock bulb off from the harness.

Do I pull it ? How to take that darn small bulb off ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thx.

:happy feet: Yoo Hoo!! I got the Map Light changed over and it looks great when you open your door. The Big BUT, now the map light does not fire when you are in the car with the car running. Any suggestion why?

For those who struggle with the install....

1. Remove the trim around the light (this is the frosted piece .... the clear lens will come down with it)

2. Remove the aluminum piece around the light bulb. It runs along the front edge but a little pull it will come down.

3. NOW you can remove the bulb very easily but REMEMBER how you pulled it down. The leads are very delicate I bent them trying to reinstall them.

4. Reverse your steps and it should work....

:happy feet: Yoo Hoo!! I got the Map Light changed over and it looks great when you open your door. The Big BUT, now the map light does not fire when you are in the car with the car running. Any suggestion why?

For those who struggle with the install....

1. Remove the trim around the light (this is the frosted piece .... the clear lens will come down with it)

2. Remove the aluminum piece around the light bulb. It runs along the front edge but a little pull it will come down.

3. NOW you can remove the bulb very easily but REMEMBER how you pulled it down. The leads are very delicate I bent them trying to reinstall them.

4. Reverse your steps and it should work....

so wait.. your saying you got the map lights changed and they come on when the door opens, but they do not come on when you push the button?

If so, I wonder if these stems from your install. You did WAY more to install these than I did. I never removed the frosted trim piece, just pulled it down slow and easy. I never removed the aluminum pieces around the bulb. Not even sure why that was needed or why you did that? but it might be because of your extras steps that your push buttons may not trigger the map lights - if I follow your issue. I suspect that when you took all that down and put it back, the push buttons - clear plastic lens - is simply not triggering and hitting the on/off switch up where it use to. So, the bulbs still get power and so they come on when the doors open, but cannot be triggered when you push the buttons as the buttons are not lining up as they did and trigging the switch. Might have jostled more around when you took all of that off, or not lined it back up perfect. As I said, I never took any of that stuff off. Yes, they are a PITA I agree.

so wait.. your saying you got the map lights changed and they come on when the door opens, but they do not come on when you push the button?

If so, I wonder if these stems from your install. You did WAY more to install these than I did. I never removed the frosted trim piece, just pulled it down slow and easy. I never removed the aluminum pieces around the bulb. Not even sure why that was needed or why you did that? but it might be because of your extras steps that your push buttons may not trigger the map lights - if I follow your issue. I suspect that when you took all that down and put it back, the push buttons - clear plastic lens - is simply not triggering and hitting the on/off switch up where it use to. So, the bulbs still get power and so they come on when the doors open, but cannot be triggered when you push the buttons as the buttons are not lining up as they did and trigging the switch. Might have jostled more around when you took all of that off, or not lined it back up perfect. As I said, I never took any of that stuff off. Yes, they are a PITA I agree.

I agree with you....I probably did too much but I could not get the fingers up there. I just removed the pieces again and replace the bulbs to see if it were the bulbs. It's not the bulbs. opps.....I left the OE bulbs in for now. I am pretty sure I know what I did and it wasn't because of the pieces I took off.

I just pulled the map lights down pulled out the light and plugged the new one in. Took less than 1 min to do. Mine was tight and took some maneuvering but it came down in one piece and didn't feel like it was going to break.

I have my bulbs but realized it seems nobody has done the 3rd rear brake light? Anyone convert this to led? do you know what bulbs are there?

Hey all,

I installed the tail light LED's as suggested here and no the turn signals flash much faster. It actually annoying. I pulled the LED's out and replaced them with stock and the turn signals are normal again. Anyone have an answer how to keep the LED's while keeping the turn signal flashing at a normal, slow pace?

Thanks in advance! BTW, I have a new 08 SE.

Hey all,

I installed the tail light LED's as suggested here and no the turn signals flash much faster. It actually annoying. I pulled the LED's out and replaced them with stock and the turn signals are normal again. Anyone have an answer how to keep the LED's while keeping the turn signal flashing at a normal, slow pace?

Thanks in advance! BTW, I have a new 08 SE.

You need to have a load resistor or a relay that is meant for LED lights.

You can find them here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html