LED Lights

Replaced license plate bulbs with LED bulbs............

Looks pretty cool-----Bluish~neon cast :rockon: ...will try to post pics soon!!

www.superbrightleds.com

WLED-x6 LED Wedge Base Bulbs

6-LED bulbs are non-polarized so they will also work in polarity reversing marker light applications.

These are very bright for their size, about the same size as a stock 194/168 bulb.

Available in all of our standard LED colors

Edited by in_edge

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replaced license plate bulbs with LED bulbs............

Looks pretty cool-----Bluish~neon cast :rockon: ...will try to post pics soon!!

www.superbrightleds.com

WLED-x6 LED Wedge Base Bulbs

6-LED bulbs are non-polarized so they will also work in polarity reversing marker light applications.

These are very bright for their size, about the same size as a stock 194/168 bulb.

Available in all of our standard LED colors

Do you have a more direct link or a better description of the bulbs you used?

I used the same bulbs that I had ordered for our 2007 Camry (Traded for the EDGE).......

Go to....www.superbrightleds.com

click on "led bulbs & products"

click on "12 volt car bulbs"

click on "miniature wedge bulbs"

I'm using the WLED-X6 bulb

cross-referenced with the Camry bulb (2825)

The EDGE bulb does not cross-reference (6418) but the are working fine with no issues....

You could probably E-mail them for further assistance...

Hope this helps........Posting pics ASAP

07 MKX : Different bulb.

One word of caution here, I ordered these same lights for an MKX and they will NOT fit.

The MKX does NOT use a wedge style end. It has a Festoon Base. Part I ordered was 3610-x4 LED, 36x10mm. Festoon Bulb.

Personally I ordered mine in Blue. IF it doesn't work, I'll return to post that. But I wanted to point out the difference, after I had assumed they should be the same bulb. The cross-reference at Sylvania states the same info as above, but when i went to put the bulb in, wrong type.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...490&next=50

Didn't like the blue, I ordered white and their fine, not close to the same brighness as the OEM blubs, but still a different look. I had assumed the blue might look like a HID blub, but it has a sickly blue tint and I didn't want too look like a pimp named lex.

Edited by 07 MKX

i just purchaced the licenceplate lights from the above link and they look great. they were only 12 bucks including the shipping. definitely a worthwhile mod!

Hey edge22 what part number led did you order. Is this for your rear plate? :hyper:

Edited by Heysdad

Hey edge22 what part number led did you order. Is this for your rear plate? :hyper:

I'm using the WLED-X6 (white) its a wedge type bulb. the above link should take you there. youll need two. its the 10th item down on the page.

Edited by edge22"

• 3 months later...
I was waiting to see what people come up with for light bulbs. I really want to get my front signal lights all LED, 2 rear side marker on the rear light assembly, LED brakelights, LED high mount brake lights, interior, puddle lights.

According to my manual the high mount is already LED for 2008.

I bought backup and running/brake LEDs and a license plate LED from autolumination.com

I'm getting my tail light assemblies tinted per the Unique Coatings thread and will not be installing the LEDs till I receive all my stuff, but expect some pretty sweet effects at that time.

I will post again no later than then.

These look like some pretty cool lights.

I'm sure I'll be looking into some more bulbs... for the headlights, fogs, etc too.

Thanks for turning me on to these.

I used to be a car guy, then got all into computers and was happy with my "urban-stealth" white Taurus for a decade. hehe.

I'm back in the mod/customization thing now! :lol:

• 4 months later...

I put LED's in all of the lights that I could yesterday and it looks great. The only lights you can't change to LED are the puddle lamps and that is because that is a sealed module. The LED's look really cool if you get the cool white for the dome/map lights in the front, it reflects off the brushed bezel on the center console.

I have to but some festoon lamps for the rear dome and the side light in the rear. The list on the Sylvania site doesn't list these lights unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
I put LED's in all of the lights that I could yesterday and it looks great. The only lights you can't change to LED are the puddle lamps and that is because that is a sealed module. The LED's look really cool if you get the cool white for the dome/map lights in the front, it reflects off the brushed bezel on the center console.

so what all did you replace? where did you get?

to confirm, did you use size 194/168 bulb for the license plate light as others mention, or an actual 6418 led bulb?

to confirm, what size did you use for the front dome/map lights - 2825?

I have to but some festoon lamps for the rear dome and the side light in the rear. The list on the Sylvania site doesn't list these lights unfortunately.

actually, Ford lists the rear second row dome as 578 - which is also on the Sylvania a website. And the rear courtesy lamp in the back is listed by Ford as W5W, the same as the Map light which we know Sylvania claims said front 'Map Light" is a 2825, this should mean the rear courtesy lamp would then also be 2825 as they share W5W as their Ford part which Sylvania translates to 2825. point is, it looks like both these are in fact listed.

So.. as kind of a brake down of some of the key bulbs one might change for LED, I see it as:

License Plate: 6418 (C5W ford) [maybe 194/168 according to some] x2

Front Map Lamps: 2825 (W5W ford) x2

Second Row Map/Dome Lamp: 578 (578 ford) x3

Rear Courtesy Lamp Cargo Area: 2825 (W5W ford) x1

Edited by Lex Talionis

so what all did you replace? where did you get?

to confirm, did you use size 194/168 bulb for the license plate light as others mention, or an actual 6418 led bulb?

to confirm, what size did you use for the front dome/map lights - 2825?

actually, Ford lists the rear second row dome as 578 - which is also on the Sylvania a website. And the rear courtesy lamp in the back is listed by Ford as W5W, the same as the Map light which we know Sylvania claims said front 'Map Light" is a 2825, this should mean the rear courtesy lamp would then also be 2825 as they share W5W as their Ford part which Sylvania translates to 2825. point is, it looks like both these are in fact listed.

So.. as kind of a brake down of some of the key bulbs one might change for LED, I see it as:

License Plate: 6418 (C5W ford) [maybe 194/168 according to some] x2

Front Map Lamps: 2825 (W5W ford) x2

Second Row Map/Dome Lamp: 578 (578 ford) x3

Rear Courtesy Lamp Cargo Area: 2825 (W5W ford) x1

Here is what I bought from Superbrightleds.com

Brake Lights: 3157x25 Red X2

Reverse Lights: 921x12 Cool White X2

Map Lights: WLEDx6 Cool White X2

Plate Lights: WLEDx6 Cool White X2

F Turn Signal: 3157x25 Amber X2

Rear Marker: WLEDx6 Red X2

Here is where the problem starts. Sylvania and Ford say 2825 (W5W) is in the front map lamps and rear courtesy lamp but I can tell you on my Edge the front map lamps are 2825 but every thing in the back is a festoon bulb including the courtesy lamp.

Now according to the superbright site all 3 digit lights should be able to be replaced with a WLED series light well if the 578 series is a festoon bulb then it obviously can't be replaced with a WLED series.

The only other problem I had was the 921's don't fit into the socket very tight so I had to do a little cutting on the LED case to get it in but I resealed the internals with some silicone to keep them water tight.

Edited by jpeckinp

Here is what I bought from Superbrightleds.com

Brake Lights: 3157x25 Red X2

Reverse Lights: 921x12 Cool White X2

Map Lights: WLEDx6 Cool White X2

Plate Lights: WLEDx6 Cool White X2

F Turn Signal: 3157x25 Amber X2

Rear Marker: WLEDx6 Red X2

Here is where the problem starts. Sylvania and Ford say 2825 (W5W) is in the front map lamps and rear courtesy lamp but I can tell you on my Edge the front map lamps are 2825 but every thing in the back is a festoon bulb including the courtesy lamp.

Now according to the superbright site all 3 digit lights should be able to be replaced with a WLED series light well if the 578 series is a festoon bulb then it obviously can't be replaced with a WLED series.

The only other problem I had was the 921's don't fit into the socket very tight so I had to do a little cutting on the LED case to get it in but I resealed the internals with some silicone to keep them water tight.

sure enough.. I find some discrepancies here also with the Ford manual/Sylvania site versus going and looking for myself:

It claims the License plate is 6418.. which is a festoon style bulb (100% round and long ovalized) which is NOT what is back there. what IS back there is more similar to a 168/194 bulb style (round front bulb end with flat tail)

it claims that the Rear Courtesy Lamp in the cargo area is a 2825 bulb (round front bulb end with flat tail) which is NOT what is back there. what IS back there is a festoon style bulb (100% round and long ovalized)

that being said...

578 for 3 rear dome lamp seems correct as it is a festoon style bulb (100% round and long ovalized), but shorter than the Rear Courtesy Lamp in cargo so not technically the same bulb model.

2825 front map lamps seem to be correct also as that is a round front bulb end with flat tail style, which is what is there, but not same dimensions as license plate style technically though it seems.

BTW - how the hell did you get to the 2 front map lights? when trying to pry down the clear plastic trim around that section you can get it 80% reveled to see the bulb, but the section facing the windshield is tough and I am afraid to man handle it in fear of breaking it to actually get access enough for my fingers.

Something else to consider here on the LED 'festoon' bulb placements - those on the ceiling rear dome lamp and the rear Courtesy cargo bulb - is the angle they disperse light. For example, a regular bulb emits light 360 degrees and light shining back reflects off the reflector to bounce forward and fill an area with more light. Well, the festoon style LED bulbs have bulbs mounted on 1 side and are placed facing out. so, there is no light facing back (or up or down) to bounce off a reflector and fill the space. Now.. why this might matter is that if you put these above you... will they shine straight down in a beam like a flashlight rather than fill the general area? and in the cargo area, will they send a beam across to the other side of the trunk rather than generally fill the cargo area?

Edited by Lex Talionis

as it seems festoon bulbs are based on actual size, rather than cross reference of of numbers (i.e., Ford versus Sylvania versus what is stamped on them) here is a diagram I made in an effort for me/us track down the exact correct size LED bulb for the 3 rear dome/map ceiling light and the 1 rear cargo area. These are based on exactly what is in my 2008, measured with calipers. (it seems the front map lights and license plates are easier to find and are not festoon anyway).

I see some measurements on the superbrightleds.com website, but not exact matches to these sizes. and a call to them was a bit fruitless. maybe these are just oddball sizes and hard to find...

post-2453-1206556739_thumb.gif

Just ordered some "super bright white" 6-LED bulbs for the license plate (194/168 T10 size).

Should give that nice bright clean white with a slight tint of blue over the plate versus that dingy yellow - will kind of match the nice HID kit up front. I opted to get mine off of eBay for 9$ delivered for a pair (2) of bulbs. Same specs as the others, but a bit mo cheaper as they do huge volume.

I tried to find the right "festoon" bulbs from them as per post #20 - but no dice in those sizes. many are very close, but not exact.

UPDATE: they look awesome. worth while 9$ upgrade. and a little tip, it matters how they go into the socket. if you put them in and they do not turn on, pull it and turn around and reinsert. it seems the LED adhere to a +/- post

Edited by Lex Talionis

This might work for our Festoon bulb dome light problem.

http://www.oznium.com/led-dome

that is pretty interesting idea actually. not sure how they would fit though. Would have to do the flexible one, but even then, just not sure if enough room in the rear dome/map. I think it might work in the rear cargo area light. but, one guy reviewed and was concerned by the heat generation. since you would put in the festoon, then push up the wires and try to fit this +- 4/5cmx.29" thick square full of lights into the available opening.. just not sure how feasible it is without those LEDs making contact with the surface they push against.

I would rather stick with a cleaner straight festoon. since a lot of my research is pointing to the fact that there are not exact festoon LED bulbs that match length of ours (as I see the same LED sizs listed over and over and over and ours is not among them) another idea was to try to use all of the same size festoon for both the map/dome and rear cargo despite them being 2 sizes. you see, since you need 3 smaller for the map/dome and 1 bigger for the cargo (as my diagram shows) - maybe get 4 of the smallest size that fits the dome/map perfect and then use one of those in the cargo area as well. it should/might just fit and span the clamp gap it needs to, and if so, 1 size bulb would fit. some of those larger 38,39,40 festoon bulbs are not cheap and are often sold in pairs. and, since either way we would be getting more and better light, even if you took a smaller map/dome bulb and put it into the rear cargo that should have a larger festoon, it should still mean more light and you could buy 2 sets of 2 pieces rather than trying to buy 3 and 1. make sense?

my goal is to do the cargo area first as I think that has the most immediate utility to me to have brighter, cleaner white light back there to fill the all black cargo area at night. then, move onto the front map lights and rear map/dome lights. I admit I am a little bit apprehensive about the front map and rear dome/map as I do not want like POW hella bright light when I open the door or need the map light or the passenger flips on the dome light... so still need to consider maybe a lower number LED for those than 6. like a 2 or 4 as either way it would be clean white and still brighter but not like a death ray from the sky - like in the movie Fire In The Sky

How did you replace the Windshield Dome.....I am afraid of breaking it! I purchase the 42mm x 11mm Festoon lamp....I will let you know if they work!! When I received them.