Edge Limited 2011

Ahmed Chaaban

Hello there,

i live in UAE-Dubai and i was about to buy the edge 2011 limited but after reading several feedback, i feel that i need to take several opinion before paying 30K+!

is the new "MY4 touch" causing serious problem and the software containing many bugs? i know it is a new system and might be still under Beta version, and it might have bugs that can't be cleared before few years!

do you recomend the basic edge instead of limited?

is the touch features, is suitable to be used or causing problems and disatifactions?

please let me know your feedback and recomendation on other things if you have!

Hello,

I am waiting for the delivery of 2011 Sport AWD and I live in Germany. I am not afraid of the MFT. :-) I guess there will be several updates in future. I did a test drive with a 2011 Sport and the MFT work for me. Ford will use MFT also in other vehicles (e.g. Focus). They will work on the problems and provide updates. I love the design of the 2011 Edge and the engine. If the MFT is not working properly, it is ok for me. Hey, it's software. :-)

Rene

The new 2.11 software seems to fix most of the major issues or at least greatly reduce the problems for most people. Some are still having issues which could be hardware related.

I would say test out the MFT system for at least 20-30 minutes including phone calls and navigation (if equipped). If it seems to work then it's probably ok.

Worst case Ford should have a totally new version rewritten from scratch next year.

The new 2.11 software seems to fix most of the major issues or at least greatly reduce the problems for most people. Some are still having issues which could be hardware related.

I would say test out the MFT system for at least 20-30 minutes including phone calls and navigation (if equipped). If it seems to work then it's probably ok.

Worst case Ford should have a totally new version rewritten from scratch next year.

I heard that too, that Ford took over the while development from MS. They asked my colleagues in the US for support. :-)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I am from Dubai and have been using my Edge 2011 from April. Just did my first 10k service. My overall rating on a scale of 1 to 10 is 8. Thought it was guzzling a lot of gas initially, but am happy to have the detailed trip record show 13L/100kms in other words 7.7 KMPL inside Dubai roads. If on highway, recorded about 9L/100Kms (about 11.11 KMPL). Had a problem initially with my Nokia E71 bluetooth paring. It was erratic and wouldnt pair always. Checked with the dealer and found that they had this problem with all the E series phones. I have replaced the phone with a Galaxy SII and the connections now are always perfect. However, the phone book photo doesnt load on the screen.

Regarding the the touch - let us all accept that you cannot compare this touch to the one which you see on an Iphone or a galaxy. Keep in mind that this touch is much primitive to the phones' touch, and it is a CAR which you are driving. Personally speaking, I would have preferred to have a remote to operate the devices (especially browsing the songs). Not that Im not liking the touch features but for the ease of use. In my experience, the touch features on the screen are very handy while using Radio, Phone book, temperature control, and devices. To say touch is CRAP is not justified, and I would never agree to this point. The touch features work well, but a lot depends on how long they will work. As of now, all my touch features are working and Im happy with it. Used to get irritated when my phone was not pairing. but now it is fine. One sad part is the GPS/Navigation is not available for the UAE. I was told that this is expected soon, but my dealer now doesnt want to commit on a time frame. Thats the only drawback I felt.

To answer the original post - The MFT is a latest sophisticated feature which one could fancy having. If you are not a gadget geek and would love to have basic things running, then MFT is great to have. But if you want to launch a satellite from MFT - its not possible. GO ahead, try it and you will definitely love the beast.

• Like 1