HID Kits Bulb Wattage

Can someone explain the importance/difference when selecting bulb wattage for aftermarket HID kits. Standard bulbs on a 2011 SEL Edge are 35W correct? Why wouldn't you want to get 100W HID bulb kit? Too hot to run? Draw to much power? Tried searching the forum to no avail.

Thanks.

I am no expert but I don't think I would run a 100W HID kit not just due to heat issues but if it truely is 100W that is so much light you are looking for trouble. Not only will local authorities take notice but since the projectors are not made for HIDs the pattern will be poor and likely cause a lot of glare blinding on coming traffic. Obviously 100W won't come for free either so you'll need more current which could be an issue for the stock components. But that will be dependent on what gauge wire Ford used and the quality of the kit, which means you might need a harness.

Sort of the same train of thought I had, I'll stick with the standard HID kit. Its dark in AK, had to ask, brighter is better!

The ones that came with the car are amazing - I have never been as comfortable driving in the dark before. I actually felt like I could see! I love the ambient lights too - since they are on so much in the winter.

A true HID kit comes with the ballasts to control the light. the real HID actually use less wattage than you standard 35. You may notice that some stores/ebay..... will sell those "ultra white".... blah blah blah.. bulbs as "HID" those are the bulbs that are the 100/50 watt. These are the ones that can melt wire harnesses (i had it happen to me on a motorcycle). And some cars cant handle the power consumption.

There is only really 1 number on an hid kit its the rating for the color. the range of 4300k is a more white light, and the higher the number brings in the blues and purples.

HID's actually work better in a projector housing. The lights are easily adjusted more.

In some states there are laws against the higher color range numbers. Places can send them with saying the are for off road use only...

The ones that came with the car are amazing - I have never been as comfortable driving in the dark before. I actually felt like I could see! I love the ambient lights too - since they are on so much in the winter.

Agreed, I drive a lot to Kenai though, so when its dark I want to be able to see wider and farther than the OEM lights, but yes they are pretty bright to begin with. I had 10k on my 08 fusion, had a hint of purple, going with the 6k for the edge.

Ordering my kit as we speak. Post pictues in a week or so after they get here and are installed.

thanks for the replies.

A true HID kit comes with the ballasts to control the light. the real HID actually use less wattage than you standard 35.

Not true of all kits. Some are made so poorly that even though they produce a lot of light they burn a lot of energy. Also some have much higher start-up currents than others. I can't find the link now but there was one thread somewhere that compared a few kits that were 35-50W kits and they measured current draw. Some had 3x's the current draw during start up even though wattage was the same.