2011 Edge SEL Audio Upgrade

I've been doing some reading here on the forum and came to the conclusion that the recommended speakers on the CF site might be a little conservative for size. I think the primary concern for the size is mounting depth, is that a correct assumption? I haven't seen anywhere here on the site where someone provides measurements for the maximum depth for front and rear doors. Does anyone have those measurements they could share?

Here's what i"m considering at this point for an audio upgrade on my 2011 Edge SEL.

Keep the Stock Head Unit and augment it with the following:

AMP: JLAudio XD700/5

FRONTS: Polk Audio MM571

REARS: Pok Audio MM571

SUB: Polk Audio MM840 (2 each) mounted in custom enclosures in the spare tire compartment.

Any thoughts on my choices would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I've installed the Polk Audio MM571 speakers in the front and rear doors. Although the CF site says the fronts don't fit they were a drop in replacement to the stock speakers. I mounted the crossovers with double sided tape to the plastic inner door then tie wrapped the wires to the existing bundles on the door. These sound much better than the stock speakers. I can't wait to get the rest of the system installed. For now I'll run with the Polks off the stock head unit as it is much better than stock was.

Pete

I just did the fronts a few days ago with a set of 6 1/2 inch Infinitys and the difference is incredible compared to the stock featherweights. I like the specs on the Polks and would guess they sound pretty good with the stock head unit. My next addition is gonna be a boxed single 10 that has been following me from vehicle to vehicle for a long time. Got a ton of old high-end amps laying around so all I need to purchase is a MTX REQ. I've always just run mids and tweets for the front stage along with a sub. Never liked the added sound that comes from a set of rear door speakers so I'll just disconnect them.

If i could recommend something to you. get the subs in a 4ohm load (if they come in 8 also) or if they are a dual voice coil get a dual 2ohm. That amp will put out almost double the power at a 2ohm load on the sub channel as it will with a 4 ohm load.

on a side note if you are doing custom boxes on the side of the spare, you can go bigger. I had 2 12" subs in the same location (with leaving the tire in) and no big bulky box for a thiefs looking.

Edited by baum

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated. One thing I've noticed now that I actually have my Edge is that there really isn't enough room depth wise in the spare tire well. I took the plastic bins out and the subs barely have enough room even without 3/4" MDF being top and bottom on them. So now I'm rethinking how I want to do the subs. I do want to keep them hidden from sight. I may raise the floor board over the spare by an inch or so. That seems to be my only option outside of the stock sub location. I might evaluate that area for a double 8" set up. Maybe there's enough room in there for that. Then a custom grill over the stock panel. decisions...decisions....

Thanks,

Pete

If ya make a small sub box with a single 8 or 10, it's very easy to remove when you need the extra room. I've been doing this with a single 10 box that I built back in 2003 for a new F150. The box I built is down firing with 2 inch legs so the sub is well protected. I'm a little picky so I always change the carpet covering to match whatever vehicle it's going in.