2008 Edge Front brakes not working

foothill

After having the front wheel off to fix a flat I noticed the inside of both rotors were rusty and the pads not fully contacting the inside surface of the rotors, outer surface of the rotors were fine. I removed the rotors and had them turned, cleaned the slide clips of the pads, cleaned the pads were they fit onto the clips, and lubed the slide pins. Now after 200 miles, I see that the outer surface of the rotors has minimal pad contact.

The car is the Front wheel drive and is a Limited model, does anyone else have this occuring?

After having the front wheel off to fix a flat I noticed the inside of both rotors were rusty and the pads not fully contacting the inside surface of the rotors, outer surface of the rotors were fine. I removed the rotors and had them turned, cleaned the slide clips of the pads, cleaned the pads were they fit onto the clips, and lubed the slide pins. Now after 200 miles, I see that the outer surface of the rotors has minimal pad contact.

The car is the Front wheel drive and is a Limited model, does anyone else have this occuring?

The outer surface of the rotor is contacted by the pad behind the piston--- it will be the primary contact when the brakes are applied. The inner side of the rotor not making contact is caused by the caliper sticking on the slide at the edges, Lubricate the caliper where it is contacting the stationary part of the assembly.

The outer surface of the rotor is contacted by the pad behind the piston--- it will be the primary contact when the brakes are applied. The inner side of the rotor not making contact is caused by the caliper sticking on the slide at the edges, Lubricate the caliper where it is contacting the stationary part of the assembly.

I don't understand, the pistons are on the inboard of the rotor and that's the side that was not in full contact.

I don't understand, the pistons are on the inboard of the rotor and that's the side that was not in full contact.

Sorry-- I had my head on backwards--- The inner surface of the rotor is where the piston is and should be the primary contact. If you have no contact on the outer surface, the caliper is sticking and not sliding on the pins. Compress the piston and with the caliper in place, make sure it will slide freely. If there is any drag, lubricate it where it is dragging. The inner side will have contact unless the pistons are frozen in place. If the pistons are stuck, you'll have no brakes on that side and the vehicle will have a severe pull to the side that is working.

The usual problem is a worn pad on the inner side from the caliper being stuck.

Sorry-- I had my head on backwards--- The inner surface of the rotor is where the piston is and should be the primary contact. If you have no contact on the outer surface, the caliper is sticking and not sliding on the pins. Compress the piston and with the caliper in place, make sure it will slide freely. If there is any drag, lubricate it where it is dragging. The inner side will have contact unless the pistons are frozen in place. If the pistons are stuck, you'll have no brakes on that side and the vehicle will have a severe pull to the side that is working.

The usual problem is a worn pad on the inner side from the caliper being stuck.

Here's what I tried today: Removed the wheels, confirmed that the calipers did move inboard/outboard easily by hand, confirmed the pads did not stick in their mountings, installed a block of wood in place of the pads and extended the pistons approx 3-4mm, reinstalled calipers and bled the front calipers.

Same thing, outer pads don't contact rotors.

Edited by foothill

Here's what I tried today: Removed the wheels, confirmed that the calipers did move inboard/outboard easily by hand, confirmed the pads did not stick in their mountings, installed a block of wood in place of the pads and extended the pistons approx 3-4mm, reinstalled calipers and bled the front calipers.

Same thing, outer pads don't contact rotors.

The only thing that prevents the outer pads from contacting the rotors is that the caliper is sticking in place. Looks like you need a second set of eyes so you can have someone apply the brakes while you watch the action of the caliper --- or, lightly spray some black paint on the rotor and take the thing for a drive and see if it wears the paint off.

The above advice is good. I would look at the piston itself. Maybe that 3-4 mm was not enough to see the issue.

I would also check mounting bolts. It doesn't make sense that the piston force is not causing the outer portion to slide and make contact with the other side.

Good luck either way! I'm interested to see what comes of it.